INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching While Recording Crashes Server, Locks Tuner  (Read 6474 times)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
Watching While Recording Crashes Server, Locks Tuner
« on: March 26, 2016, 09:46:34 am »

I frequently watch programs from the beginning from the shows menu in theater view while they are being recorded .   This will lock the tuner every time and usually freeze the server console; it also creates a duplicate listing of the program which, if I try to delete it, causes the server to freeze but also a pop-up message from the server that the database is in read-only mode.   The only way out of that is to reboot the server machine.   Note that I have time shifting turned off on both client and server.

[running MC 21...65  and WIN7 on both client and server machines]

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Watching While Recording Crashes Server, Locks Tuner
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:11:01 pm »

Can you grab a set of logs (both client and server)?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:57:58 pm »

Ok.  Here is a log from the server after it crashed while watching while recording.   Note that the logging function froze and I had to close the program and restart - the attached log is what was recorded after the restart.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 07:18:19 am »

Sorry, we need "Previous Log.txt" in this case.

After a crash or hang, restart and immediately go to Help > Logging.   Make sure you use "Report Problem" button on Logging window, then include the entire Zip file without removing any files.

Details on how to get logs are in this wiki article,  or my post here.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:04:37 am »

...Note that the logging function froze and I had to close the program and restart...

You may think the logging feature is frozen because it says "not responding", but 9 times out of 10, if you just let it sit there for a while, it eventually will finish. Go get a cup of coffee, seriously don't sit there and wait for it. The longer you have gone without clearing the logs, the longer you have to wait for the log feature to come out of it's "not responding" mode.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:22:20 am »

Attached are two logs from the server.   The first one is watching while recordings and then stopping while the program is still recording.   The second log is deleting the "stub" file created while watching while recording.    Neither incident caused the server to crash with the database error message of read only.   Next I will record a log file of watching while recording where watching continues after the program has completed recording.   

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 08:53:24 am »

Alright, here are two more logs which capture the problem.

The first log (dated 4/1) captures the activity of watching while recording and continuing watching past the time of completion of the recording.   There didn't appear to be any immediate problem after stopping the program.   So after stopping watching while recording, the channel remained locked as usually happens and I deleted the additional entry created in the shows list (in theater view).   Again, there didn't appear to be any immediate issue on the server.  However, this morning the tuner lock light was not lit but the server was frozen and not responding so I shut it down after 20 minutes, restarted and immediately captured the second log (dated 4/2).  (The second log file is on dropbox link below because it is too big to attach).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101308021/JRiver%20Log%202016-04-02%2006-29-31.zip

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:05 am »

When you said you were watching while recording was going on, were you watching from a client or on the server?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 06:29:21 pm »

When you said you were watching while recording was going on, were you watching from a client or on the server?
client

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 08:36:24 pm »

It looked like someone played a channel on the server and did not press Stop button to stop it.  Could that be the case? 

I saw log entries that suggest client playback, but there are also entries that show server playback.  Hanging seems to have happened on the server playback.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 08:06:38 am »

It looked like someone played a channel on the server and did not press Stop button to stop it.  Could that be the case? 

I saw log entries that suggest client playback, but there are also entries that show server playback.  Hanging seems to have happened on the server playback.
Yes, I probably did that by mistake a few times when streaming to my garage gym system from the iPhone; I briefly failed to change the mode from player to the iPhone device.    At any rate I don't think that is related to the problem I am experiencing.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 10:16:45 am »

Yes, I probably did that by mistake a few times when streaming to my garage gym system from the iPhone; I briefly failed to change the mode from player to the iPhone device.    At any rate I don't think that is related to the problem I am experiencing.

On the server, the hang was caused by playback getting stuck because the tuner stopped producing audio data and the player kept trying to read more.  It is difficult to determine the causality here.  Maybe the tuner had been running for too long.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 09:05:10 am »

This problem is solved now.   I think it was due to the EPG being set to refresh on the client and thus sometimes in conflict with the server.   I have turned that off on the client but I really don't understand why that option is not available when running in client mode. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 08:39:36 pm »

I really don't understand why that option is not available when running in client mode. 

Same reason you can't do Cover Art updates from the MC Client, or run the Rename, Move, & Copy function; MC needs direct access to the files in order to do those processes. If you are running MC on a Client in a Client/Server configuration, MC doesn't have direct access to the EPG data files. They are served from the MC Server.

If you run the EPG load process on a local library on a PC that is also used as a MC Client with a Server database, that is fine. The EPG data is saved in the local library.

If you run the EPG load process on a MC Client that is connected to and using a MC Server library the EPG data is saved in the copy of the Server library that has been transferred to the Client. Every time you re-connect a MC Client to a MC Server the MC Server library is copied to the Client, and overwrites any EPG data previously loaded on the Client when using the Server library.

In general, you should never run the EPG load process on a MC Client. Run it on the MC Server, and then let that Server serve the data to the Client.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up