INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "copy and update database" - add original to ignore list?  (Read 1214 times)

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Where ever you go, there you are
"copy and update database" - add original to ignore list?
« on: March 28, 2016, 06:09:19 am »

I love the "copy and update database to point to new location" option on the "rename, move, and copy files" library tool. 

Currently I am copying all my media to a NAS for central storage.  Recently upgraded to a new desktop and a fresh install of MC21.  I had copied my media to the NAS outside of MC and then imported from the NAS and I also import from the music folder on my desktop (windows 10) to catch anything that might have been missed in the move.  New music that I buy online or rip from a CD first goes to the local drive and I then copy to the NAS via MC.

It seems like ripped CD's that are copied to the NAS from MC (still leaving a copy on the local drive) get re-imported from the local drive on the next auto-import.  I don't think this is an issue with files that came in to MC via auto-import and are then copied via MC, just ripped files (but I could be wrong about that, I need to do some more research). 

Is there anyway for MC to know that it copied and update the ripped files so it does not import them and add files it already has (granted on another drive).

Thanks,
Brian Munroe

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "copy and update database" - add original to ignore list?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 07:11:55 am »

maybe I'm not understanding totally, but it seems like you have configured your import options to include both the paths where you ripp locally and your NAS main files.

Seems coherent, but why repoint? I'd probably use the local drive as a "sandbox" area. You can still listen to/watch the files before transferring them to the NAS. Double check your tagging and when ready use the RMC tool to move the files. In one step you can both move and repoint. You can set up a preset (or multiple presets if needed) for this in the RMC window too..

You don't have to worry about automating on "next auto-import" as the move via the RMC tool is immediate. And depending on autoimports from a NAS could take awhile.

If you are copying the files rather than moving them for backup purposes there are other ways of doing this (at the very least just copy them to a directory that is not being "watched" by JRiver. The workflow would keep the temp rip/download directory empty so there would be no reimporting or dupes that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up