INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Server 21 and HEOS  (Read 10198 times)

wotan1a

• Recent member
MC Server 21 and HEOS
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:10:29 pm »

When using my HEOS app and browsing my MC 21 windows music server, I keep getting “no media” for several tries before getting a listing then the same thing happens when trying to choose playlists and so on until I get songs to play, after that songs play fine until I try to change playlists and the whole thing starts again. The server shows up every time but the content will at first refuse to do so with "no media" showing up until, after several frustrating tries, I finally get through. If, on the other hand, I use the media server that comes with my Synology NAS everything behaves as expected with no issues.

My Denon AVR works perfectly and I can choose playlists and music from my MC 21 with no issues. Denon keeps telling me that HEOS apparently needs a DLNA "certified" server while the Denon AVR is more forgiving and wash their hands of the issue so is there any setting in MC that I can change to make it work? I have tried all the different types of DLNAservers i.e. generic, audiophile, legacy, xbox, etc...

To recap, I can get the server to show up with no problems at all, it is when I try to list contents that the "no media" message pops up.

I use the HEOS app on iOS 9.3 devices connected through wireless to MC 21 running on a PC with windows 10 that is connected through GigE to a DS411 Synology NAS running DSM 6.0.

Since the setup works fine using my Denon and even Samsung TV, I have eliminated all network parts as part of the problem as well as my NAS. Since I can get HEOS to work with the in house Synology Media Server it is not inherent to the HEOS app either so it has to be something about the DLNA response that MC 21 sends to the HEOS app in answer to the list command. It is close enough that it will work sporadically but only about 20% of the time which is weird as hell.

This is driving me nuts since I much prefer the MC 21 interface to the non existent one in the synology application. Any ideas?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Server 21 and HEOS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 06:37:37 am »

Have you tried JRemote ?? If you like the JRiver front end why not use an app that is designed for it. A couple of buck well spent, IMHO.

If you have no problems controlling your Denon via DLNA from JRiver, JRemote (or gizmo which is free, and there are others here on the forum for android), should work without much of a hassle. Its hard to see where the incompatibilities lie with outside apps.

Maybe you will find someone that uses this HEOS app here and get lucky, but otherwise not sure how to help you.

Good luck  :)

wotan1a

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:40:12 am »

I need the HEOS app to control the HEOS system, it is fully proprietary which is another issue. My Denon AVR is hooked into the system with a HEOS Link for my media room while my other rooms have either HEOS 5 speakers or wall speakers controlled by an HEOS amp. System works great with the synology media server as I said but when it comes to JRvir it is touch and go. Denon told me again yesterday that is is because MC 21 is not DLNA "certified" whatever that means these days.

wotan1a

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 05:56:52 pm »

After talking to some developers and Denon again, the current area of investigation is about some DLNA-related issue with the response that the server is sending to the M-SEARCH request. There is something different about how JRiver responds to how the Synology Media Server, which is DLNA "certified" sends the responses. At first we thought it was the UPnP keep alive broadcasts since the Synology server is quite lazy and just floods the network but that got eliminated, so, does anyone know how JRiver differs from Synology in those M-SEARCH request responses and can it be modified? Could it be an issue of being PC based instead of operating straight on the NAS?

Anyone?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 12:54:48 am »

^

If there would be something different or "wrong", then it almost certainly NOT something to do with M-SEARCH. It might however be something to do with the UPNP ContentDirectory:Search function.

However you would need to tell us the details of the Search requests that your client software is sending, where MC may be returning errors or empty results. You would probably need to do a WireShark capture during the period when you are trying to navigate the library.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 02:46:50 pm »

Andrew, I have attached the last part of the log that shows the last couple attempts that failed followed by the one that succeeded. This was done at noon today, I tried 6 times and it went through the 7th. The sysinfo file is there too.

For clarity, 10.0.0.29 is an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3 running the HEOS app, 10.0.0.5 is the Windows 10 PC running JRiver MC 21.0.54 and 10.0.0.44 is the HEOS Link appliance. From the file it looks like the failure definitely occurs between the HEOS app and MC 21 on several tries and then goes through for some reason to the HEOS link which handles the connection to the NAS.

Hopefully that helps.

Unfortunately the log does not show any ContentDirectory:Browse or ContentDirectory:Search transactions. Are you sure that you were logging the right things?

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 03:04:36 am »

Thanks for the log.

The Control Point is actually using CDS:Browse (and not CDS:Search as previously suggested).

As far as the log is concerned MC is satisfying all these the calls correctly. Starting at the root, going down one level to a playlist, and then browsing track(s) within that playlist.

In order to find our more we would need to see the exact network traffic. Are you able to post a WireShark log?

wotan1a

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 02:42:45 pm »

I have WireShark loaded but what do you want me to monitor? Having never used it it's a bit much to learn in 1 day LOL. I assume you want UPnP or DLNA protocol monitoring logs but I cannot finds those in the filters it uses.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »

Basically just capture everything, without any filtering.

wotan1a

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 04:19:35 pm »

Posting a trace log of all traffic on my internal network on a public forum is a bit of an issue for me :)

I will try to figure out how to isolate the required traffic.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 12:57:12 am »

Just plug the CP device and MC together, and run WireShark on the MC PC.
Or alternatively apply a filter on the MC PC IP address.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 01:52:12 am »

I believe that your addresses would all be the fictional internal addresses (192.168.0.* or similar) and not anything that anyone could use.

wotan1a

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 10:09:53 am »

OK will do as soon as possible.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 11:00:59 am »

Also instead of posting the log publicly on the forum, you could PM me with a link or an email address where I could get the log privately from you.

Obviously you would still need to trust in me..  :)

wotan1a

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 02:05:28 pm »

Message sent

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 04:10:53 pm »

Ok, I got your capture. Many thanks.

It contains 6 SOAP ContentDirectory Browse transactions, as follows:

1) Browse direct children of ObjectId = 0 (Root Container) => returns 2 out of 2 objects of class object.container being ObjectId = 1 (Audio), and ObjectId = 4 (Playlists)
2) Browse direct children of ObjectId = 4 (Playlists) => returns 5 out of 5 objects of class object.container including ObjectId = 1008 (High Res Playlists)
3) Browse direct children of ObjectId = 1008 (High Res Playlists) => returns 8 out of 8 objects of class object.container including ObjectId = 1013 (Brief History of Ambient)
4) Browse direct children of ObjectId = 1013 (Brief History of Ambient) => returns the first 30 out of 88 objects of class object.item.audioItem.musicTrack ..
5) Browse direct children of ObjectId = 1013 (Brief History of Ambient) => returns the second 30 out of 88 objects of class object.item.audioItem.musicTrack ..
6) Browse direct children of ObjectId = 1013 (Brief History of Ambient) => returns the final 28 out of 88 objects of class object.item.audioItem.musicTrack ..

This is in fact a perfectly standard example of a drill down browse process as follows:

Root Container => Playlists => High Res Playlists => Brief History of Ambient => 88 Music tracks

As far as I can tell, on the CP side, all the SOAP actions issued from the CP are valid and well formed commands. The only oddity is that the CP issues a Browse-Filter containing a whole heap of attributes, instead of the more usual "*" filter that asks for all attributes. (And MC does in fact return all the attributes anyway).

And as far as I can tell, on the MC side, all the SOAP actions caused MC to return proper valid data. And no errors were returned.

So, to summarise, as far as what is happening over the wire is concerned, everything looks exactly as it should do. And so if your CP is displaying an error message, then it is apparently not the fault of MC, but therefore more likely to be a fault in the CP software..

wotan1a

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 04:24:30 pm »

Interesting, I will chat with Denon see what they respond with.

Just for the record, here is the screenshots from the HEOS app controller point of view going from choosing the MC server (FrancoisPC(Denon)) to choosing browse to the error message returned. 5 or 6 tries later the playlist menu shows up then I can drill down.

Thanks

prosewall

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:47:54 pm »

Did you ever get any further with this? My AVR 2017 model is failing to correctly browse the library or playlists in MC - it lists the first 10 or so, but nothing thereafter.

wotan1a

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 06:09:38 pm »

Never got it resolved directly, still have the problem to this day. I ended up using the media server on my Synology NAS for the HEOS speakers since I never got JRiver MC to work with the HEOS app properly.

I stream through a ChromeCast Audio for my home speakers connected to the Denon receiver. For the Chromecast, I use Bubble Upnp to create a renderer that MC 21 will recognize and push through that.

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 04:57:26 pm »

Never got it resolved directly, still have the problem to this day. I ended up using the media server on my Synology NAS for the HEOS speakers since I never got JRiver MC to work with the HEOS app properly.

I stream through a ChromeCast Audio for my home speakers connected to the Denon receiver. For the Chromecast, I use Bubble Upnp to create a renderer that MC 21 will recognize and push through that.

Having a similar issue with my HEOS Amp.... I can see the files and play individually, but when I try to load a playlist or a particular genre, the HEOS app will time out and throw a 519 error code. After that it asks me to Try Again. The playlist may show up after a few attempts, but I usually have to try again to get the "Play All" button to light up.

Denon support is passing the buck and saying its a JRiver issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »

What version of MC?

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 07:49:14 pm »

I am on MC22