INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 40521 times)

gmonkey

Re: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2003, 08:13:23 am »

Josey,
Try using your iPod on a friend's computer. If you have any friends that own an iPod, be sure to test their iPod on your computer. At least that'll narrow it down to whether it's the iPod or not.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2003, 08:16:12 am »

Did you try synching small playlists?  Just to test?

Can you try a standard firewire card?  The USB to Ethernet adaptor is the odd thing about your setup.

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2003, 10:27:20 am »

gmonkey - unfortunately, I don't have any friends that have an iPod for a trial.

JimH - likewise, I don't have access to a firewire card to try this out, short of going to buy one specifically for this purpose.  I will try to sync a small playlist tonight and see how that goes, but I'm doubtful it'll work because when I currently try to sync my entire collection it only gets about four songs into it before I get the error message.  I'm certain that there a many iPod users out there that are utilizing the firewire-to-usb cable to transfer their songs, and I have yet to hear of any similar problems so I'm left perplexed.

Josey

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2003, 10:45:38 am »

If you're in the Seattle area, I'll come over and help you myself!   8)

Again, that transfer speed sounds like USB1 not USB2.  I'm interested in seeing how the "I'm just going to drag and drop a few hundred megs of data onto my iPod's drive letter in Windows Explorer" test goes.  If that goes incredibly slow, then the good news is that it's just a USB thing.  Maybe Dell put some USB2 ports and some USB1 ports on your machine and you just have to figure out which are which?  Maybe it is a driver issue.

I'm hopeful that it'll work out for you Josey.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

maruch

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2003, 11:07:59 am »

does anyone know if MC works with the new ipod? Should I use the old ipod plug-ins?

thanks

gmonkey

« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2003, 11:16:48 am »

Works fine with my new third generation 30G iPod. Use either the current 9.0.180 or the new beta versions.

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2003, 11:50:34 am »

Kurt - I live just north of Green Bay, Wisconsin, so unfortunately that's a little outside of your "offer area."  Man, I sure wish I did live near some of you experts out there though, it would save me a lot of trouble.  Anyway, thanks for the offer Kurt and all of you others out there offering suggestions, recommendations, tips, etc.  I'll let you guys know how the transfer of files goes while using Windows Explorer (if it even works for me).

From what I've been told/read, USB ports are USB ports, and it's the drivers/software that dictate whether they are USB 1.0, USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 - there is no physical difference between them - could be wrong on this though.  Maybe it's a driver issue that is restricting my transfer speed so much, and that would be great if that's all it turned out to be because I think I could fix that without too much trouble.  But, it still wouldn't explain the latest problem I'm having, the "not enough space available to transfer files" error message I get now.  This error pops up after just the first three or four songs have been copied over to an empty 15 GB iPod (just restored, reformatted, etc.) using the sync option, then my iPod drive completely disappears from the MC tree on the left and cannot be regained without a reboot.  That's why this is so confusing to me - the problems I seem to have don't have any obvious links.

Keep the comments coming, I appreciate any and all input.

Regards,

Josey Wales

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2003, 12:55:59 pm »

Josey,

Are all 8 USB ports using drivers that make them USB 2.0? (I am basing this on the statement you made about there being no physical difference between USB 1.1 and 2.0; that it's only a driver issue)?  I ask this because my MoBo has USB ports in the rear that are supposedly 1.1, and then it (the MoBo) came with a 3 1/2 box that has 4 USB 2.0 ports.  I guess maybe I'm thinking that (a) there is a physical difference between USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports, (b) you have both 1.1 and 2.0 on your PC, and (c) you are inadvertently plugging the iPod into a 1.1 port and not a 2.0 port?

Wobbley

Kurt Young

« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2003, 02:14:15 pm »

I believe that there are a large amount of physical differences between the styles of USB -- on the inside only, though.  The plugs/sockets are all the same shape and have the same amount of pins/leads.  However, the bus, architecture, and circuitry are very different indeed.  That's why you need good USB2 drivers -- it's essentially different hardware.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

nekura

• Recent member
  • dark-natured.
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2003, 03:34:54 pm »

Don't forget about this little tidbit.

Empyrean

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2003, 05:43:31 pm »

Two Requests:

Can you add "iPod" next to the drive letter or something for when the iPod is plugged in? It looks sort of weird just having (E:).

Also, it would also be nice if while synchronizing it would show the artist name in addition to the song title.

Thanks!

// AJ

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2003, 06:33:46 pm »

Empyrean:

A long time ago, Steve had a lot more information in the sync window. The problem that you ran into was that the information got cut off.  It was then suggested by a lot of us to just include the song title.  I think this speed things up as well.

Just so you know it was tried before.

I personally like just the song, not sure what others feel like..

Adam

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2003, 06:46:44 pm »

Well, here's another disappointing update in my continuing saga:

On a side note, I installed Windows Service Pack 1 tonight.  I thought I already had it but apparently not.  Anyway, it couldn't hurt anything and I figured it may install some new, more appropirate USB 2.0 drivers.

Now, back to the update.  Adam, and some others, you suggested I try to copy a few mp3s over to my iPod using Windows Explorer, so here's that frustrating story.  I tried to copy over one album's worth of songs (9 songs in this case).  The following is the error message that appeared, "Cannot copy 09 - Will it Bleed.  Cannot find specified file.  Make sure you specify the correct path and filename."  Not sure what that means, but regardless it didn't work.

So then I tried to create a playlist that only included a couple of mp3s within MC9, then I wanted to try to sync only that small playlist - 4 songs.  I made sure that "Delete songs not in sync" and "Update Tags" was check, then I verified that my new (small) playlist was the only one checked for the sync and hit OK.  Here's that error message, "Available size exceeded, transfer cancelled."  It did manage to copy one of the four songs, but still a dismal failure.  That particular playlist was only 27.3 MB, and it was being sent to a 15 GB iPod with absolutely nothing on it so it makes no sense whatsoever.

Really, again, I'm out of ideas and continue to have no patience left:confused: .  What in the hell else is there left to try?  I've been out of ideas, and your ideas have been great but unforrunately I can't seem to get anything to work.

I'll leave to floor open to you guys again.  Where do we go from here?  What's left to try?  I'm all ears.....again.

Regards,

Jason

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2003, 08:57:11 pm »

Steve,
  Here's some more info on the problem I have been having with MC crashing (with out an error message) during syncs with conversions. After a reformat, I start a sync... halfway through I manually cancel it by pressing the CANCEL button (since I am converting all my files and it is taking a great deal of time... usually a few nights). MC cancels it with no problem and it looks like all is well. If I try to resync now to finish loading the rest, it crashes instantly.
  If I rebuild the database before resyncing, it starts to scan the files, and skips over a bunch before crashing.
 If I try to sync without conversion, it works. No problems. So what's up with the conversion process? How can I get all my songs on here and convert them too? If I converted them with another program and then uploaded the converted songs, MC and ipod won't know that the converted songs on the ipod are the same as the ones on the playlist I want to sync... so they will get uploaded again right? :-(
Using the latest verion posted today. Please try testing this out and let me know

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2003, 11:09:58 pm »

Re.: Playlist sync doesn't work.

ugilt and DigitalTrapper, I will try to duplicate the problem you report and if I can find it, then I will fix it.

Any luck with this - I really needs a couple af large playlist..

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2003, 10:34:46 am »

Steve:

I don't want to take any time away from that mad coding your doing to get Playcounts and Ratings in (work, man, work!) :)

Just wondering though, did you ever determine if you could boost the maximum Replay Gain level above 12DB?  This would help our our euro-podders across the pond, or at least the hard of hearing ones. ;)

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2003, 10:35:35 am »

ugilt,

Using 9.1.225 on XP with a cleanly formatted iPod, I just synched a playlist of 1500 files with no problem. I would send more, but it is all I have. Can anyone confirm a failure with a similar test.

digitaltrapper,

Using 9.1225 on XP with a cleanly formatted iPod, I synched a playlist of 1500 files with conversion on from .mp3 128kbps  to .mp3 32 kbps(to save time). I hit cancel after 110 files. No problem. Restarted synch. First 110 files skipped, conversion still going. I will edit this if I run into problems later, but for now it looks good. Can anyone confirm a failure with a similar test?

Jason,

"Cannot copy 09 - Will it Bleed.  Cannot find specified file.  Make sure you specify the correct path and filename."  Not sure what that means, but regardless it didn't work.

What happens if you try to play this file in MC? Perhaps the file or path is bad.

In regards to the available size, what does Windows Explorer report is the available size on your iPod?

gmonkey

« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2003, 10:54:49 am »

Well, I can't confirm the problem, but I can confirm that it works for some of us. Just last night, with .225, I did a sync of several (10?) large playlists that totalled in the status dialog over 7,000 songs. In reality, in only had about 4,000 physical files, and it only had to upload probably about 100 files with none on the iPod to delete.

But, the final statement here is: it worked fine.

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2003, 06:17:21 pm »

well, i don't know why I can't sync large playlists or why MC crashes when I do. But if I create smartlists that cut down the large playlist into smaller ones of about 500 files, it seems to work. So there definately something funny about large playlists and syncing with conversion (on my machine at least). Here is a new problem that I am getting now that these "smaller" versions of my large playlist are being uploaded.
When I sync MC decodes and converts a certain number of files then, for whatever reason, it starts to decode and convert the same files it just coverted. It's not uploading duplicates or anything. It seems like I have to cancel a sync when this happens and when I continue it's usually ok.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2003, 02:14:38 am »

Some of the posters in this thread commented that they seemed to notice a pattern between converting when synching, and the ends of some songs on the iPod getting cut off early.  I just wanted to say that I get this problem but I am NOT converting -- ALL of my songs are ripped as 160kbps mp3's, and this is a common problem for me.

I finally had a chance to do some listenning and I have run into this problem once again.  As per Steve's request, I'll be sending him a couple files (including the iTunesDB file from the iPod from both before and after an MC format and full sync.)  Regardless of whether or not this issue has anything to do with MC, hopefully these files will help get to the bottom of this issue.

Larry

SteveG

« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2003, 05:51:37 am »

DigitalTrapper,

Go to Tools->Options->File Naming and Location and check the path to your 'Temporary File Location'. Go to this folder and see if you have many files there that have not been removed for some reason. Delete those files and try synching again. Does your PC have plenty of available storage space?

In regards to your new problem, are you running 9.1.225? If so, isolate some files where you see this and create a playlist of just those files. Synch this playlist with conversion and see if it happens.

lalittle,

I will look at the files you send. Please verify that with the files you send, they will not be cut off if transferred with another software program to iPod.

Steve

swordfish

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2003, 06:40:25 am »

sound quality is just bad no mather which software i use
i uploaded some music for testing
but every song sounds like its coming out of a tunnel
if there is any voice its hard to hear and also has a echo
i tried about everything so i got no idea what causes this

anybody has an idea what this is ?

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2003, 06:50:50 am »

Jason,

What happens if you try to play this file in MC? Perhaps the file or path is bad.

In regards to the available size, what does Windows Explorer report is the available size on your iPod?

Steve,

I can play the songs fine within MC, so I know the filepath is OK.  When I click on my iPod in Windows Explorer it's telling me that I have 13.98xxx GB of space available.  Even after a fresh fomat in Windows, restoring the iPod using iPod Manager, then fomatting for MC I still get the same error messages.

I've had others with much more expertise and experience with both iPod and MC both who are getting the exact same problems I'm seeing so I know it's not just me doing something wrong.

I'm now truly starting to believe that my iPod is malfunctioning and needs service.  Wish I could just send it in and exchange it for a 30 GB model, that is if they find out it is defective.

I'm out of ideas.......

Josey/Jason

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2003, 09:15:16 am »

Steve,
   I checked my temp folder like you suggested and you are right. There are 432mb in there that have not been deleted. There are multiple copies of songs, and these songs are the ones that I have noted as being "reconverted" again and again during one sync. I'm going to delete them and see if that fixes everything. I have 5+gb free so I don't think space was really an issue.

UPDATE: It's still happening. So far it doesn't look like it is releated to certain tracks, it looks like it starts to repeat the first 10 tracks that it uploaded durring that sync, so it doesn't seem to be recognizing that it just transcoded and uploaded them. This happens every time, so unless i cancel a sync when this happens, and restart it, no new songs get put on (except the initial 10 that it keeps trying to redo).
Also, when the sync is in process, it initially scans through a bunch of songs where "conversion is not applicable" untill it comes to a song on a playlist that is not on the ipod... then it will convert 10 songs before it "saves tags" and uploads those songs to the ipod. However, after saving the tags the sync window does not show the full size of the playlist. In other words, it says "syncing xx of 386" when really there are 500 songs in the playlist. Songs 1-375 go by really fast because they are already on the ipod, and the last 10 songs are the ones that it just converted. After it finishes, it starts to reconvert the original 10 instead of moving on to a new bunch.
Now each time I cancel the sync when this happens, and restart it, a new 10 songs get converted, and the sync window has the playlist total increased by 10 (i.e. "syncing xx of 396" instead of "386")

Hope that helps.

Now that I hear all of this USB stuff Joosey is having problems with, I thought I should point out that I am using USB too. Not that I think that this has anything to do with my problem though.

Kurt Young

« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2003, 09:48:47 am »

One quickie from cc:

I was fiddling with my hardware last night.  Now, I have a Zip100 internal drive that shows up as my E: drive.  My iPod shows up as my F: drive.

When I use the iPod-shaped "Portable download" button, MC9 tries to send my stuff to the Zip, probably because its drive letter comes first.  Is this configurable?  Is there a way to prompt the user to configure it if it hasn't been configured?

And where's my pretty iPod icon, dude?  :)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2003, 11:21:03 am »

For those of you following the Josey incident....

He and I got online last night and I remoted to his PC.  It's definitley either something w/his USB or his iPod.  The iPod is being periodically dropped from the computer, you'll see it just disappear from My Computer as a drive.  

When this happens while copying files (through explorer), Explorer returns the confusing error message that it could't find the file it's trying to copy.  It's should report that it can't find the drive anymore..but whatever.

So, not MC9 related.  Definitely iPod/PC related.   Now it's either switch to a firewire card or return the iPod.  It was going at USB2 speeds though.

Very strange....

Kurt Young

« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2003, 12:27:45 pm »

For those of you following the Josey incident....

He and I got online last night and I remoted to his PC.  It's definitley either something w/his USB or his iPod.  The iPod is being periodically dropped from the computer, you'll see it just disappear from My Computer as a drive.  

When this happens while copying files (through explorer), Explorer returns the confusing error message that it could't find the file it's trying to copy.  It's should report that it can't find the drive anymore..but whatever.

So, not MC9 related.  Definitely iPod/PC related.   Now it's either switch to a firewire card or return the iPod.  It was going at USB2 speeds though.

Very strange....

OMG, I had a problem similar to this at my house.

Using my new Adaptec firewire card, sometimes I'll get "Delayed write" failures, sometimes, the F: drive will just vanish, and sometimes it says "can't find file" just like you described.

You know how I fixed it?  I plugged into a different port on the card.  Seriously.  After I did that, and it worked, I just stood there staring at it for a while, wondering why Adaptec made some ports better than others.  It makes no sense, but there ya have it.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2003, 12:58:27 pm »

I had the same problem of my iPod just disappearing as a drive letter and thus, MC.  I tried multiple things to fix it (at the same time), so I'm not sure which one fixed it, but I:

1) Moved my firewire card to a diff. PCI slot
2) Ensured that iPod Manager had "enable firewire mode" checked
3) Plugged firewire cable into different firewire port (after moving firewire card).

Maybe try each of these (with USB card) and see if that helps?  If it doesn't, I would buy a firewire card and see if that works.

Wobbley

SteveG

« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2003, 01:28:11 pm »

swordfish,

Are you saying that the files sound fine when played within MC, but sound different on the iPod?

Josey,

Everyone is giving you some excellent suggestions (thanks all). The only one I would add is check if you have MusicMatch installed. If you do, remove it or rename the MusicMatch folder to be sure that it is not trying to grab control of the iPod.

DigitalTrapper,

Are you running MC 9.1.225?  I just successfully retested this doing the following.

1) Create a playlist with 22 files
2) Start synch with conversion.

All files transfer correctly in three stages, 10, 10 and 2.

Can you repeat this exact test on a clean iPod? Can anyone else verify this test either positively or negatively with MC 9.1.225.

Kurt,

I am going to revamp that whole button eventually and add the icon one of these days. First I want to tackle playcounts and star ratings.

Kurt Young

« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2003, 03:25:43 pm »

<snip!>
Kurt,

I am going to revamp that whole button eventually and add the icon one of these days. First I want to tackle playcounts and star ratings.
<snip!>
In the immortal words of Chris Rock,

Perfect!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2003, 05:43:46 pm »

Steve,
  Turns out that I am only getting that problem with one of the playlists. Don't know what the hell is so different about that playlist that makes it screw up. All I can think of is that there were some files on that playlist already on the ipod. So it was not neccesarily converting all the files on the playlist, but skipping over the first hundred or so. I'm reluctant to start with a clean ipod at this point since I've been getting good results with the other playlists so far, and it has been so long since I've been able to enjoy my ipod I just want to load it up as best I can and then listen. Yes I am using the latest version.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2003, 09:55:06 am »

posted this once. got no replies, not even an acknowledgement. trying again.

A couple of things:

I've had this problem since my very first version of MC9, I think -- it will sometimes just flip open the CD/Disk item and flip it closed, open, closed, open, closed. uncontrollably. When it does this sometimes I can be quick enough to click on the right thing to sync my iPod, sometimes I can't. Any idea what this is about?

This is new in my current version. When I sync, I often get MC9 telling me I'll have -.2G (or something like that) available after sync. I remove a bunch of items from the playlist I'm syncing, but the number doesn't change. If I manually check and know I have enough space, go ahead with the sync, then it works fine and I don't go over the limit.  

Media Center Registered 9.1.218 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 499 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 15 MB
Resource Info: System - 28 %, GDI - 61 %, User - 28 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive G: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

gmonkey

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2003, 10:02:19 am »

posted this once. got no replies, not even an acknowledgement. trying again.

Well, most of us don't post if we have nothing overly useful to say on the subject. Most of us are just fellow users, not JRiver folks. And, at least for me, I've never seen the problems you're having.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2003, 10:42:53 am »

On the open, close, open, close problem.... did you uninstall or rename Musicmatch?  See Steve's or Adam's instructions.  As gmonkey said, nobody knows what it is.

Henk

• Recent member
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2003, 03:36:53 pm »

quick update - sorry guys, my prior messages were crap. My iPod's all working well now - I had read the instructions' link posted at the beginning of this thread (I think it's this one), which implies you don't need to install anything (I think it was true for the first one); once I installed the iPod manager from the CD, all was OK.

Thanks.
Bob

Hi,

I'm in the same situation, however I still have a 2nd Gen iPod and I still want to use that with the same computer. Can I safely install the 3rd Gen iPod soffware and still use the 2nd Gen iPod. The Apple site warns not to use the 2.0.1 updater with the 1st or 2nd Gen iPods.

Anybody done this or know what to do?

Thanks,

Henk

TimB

« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2003, 06:03:38 pm »

Media Center Registered 9.1.218 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE

If Jim's suggestion doesn't work I'd suggest getting the latest, greatest version of MC to make sure this is still happening.  :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2003, 08:39:54 am »

From a discussion over at the lounge, Adam suggested that I post this link over here about the whole playcounts/ratings stuff:

http://gtkpod.sourceforge.net/Play_Counts.txt

SteveG

« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2003, 06:06:31 pm »

Digitaltrapper,

Hard to say what is unique about that playlist.  When you say there were some files already on iPod from that playlist, if they were uploaded with another program, this could definitely be a problem. All of the synching works quickly because I use a unique identifier assigned by MC. If you uploaded files with another program, this may not work because it would not know the MC number.

tlongacre,

Don't be offended by no reply, it was an oversite. Sometimes things slip through the cracks. Anyway...

I think -- it will sometimes just flip open the CD/Disk item and flip it closed, open, closed, open, closed. uncontrollably. When it does this sometimes I can be quick enough to click on the right thing to sync my iPod, sometimes I can't. Any idea what this is about?

I am not following the problem.  Is this after you connect your iPod of just as soon as you start MC whether the iPod is connected or not? Do you have auto synch enabled? What version of MC are you currently running?

Henk,

Whichever iPod/firmware you have, we should be compatible.

bdjohns1,

Thanks.

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2003, 07:23:34 pm »

Steve,
 All the files currently on my ipod were uploaded with MC after a fresh reformat. My main playlist (that causes MC to crash when I try to sync with convert) has about 4000 songs. I made about 10 smartlists that divide this up into smaller playlists. So far 2 of the 10 playlists are not recognizing the first 10 songs that were uploaded after it uploads them, and keeps converting them instead of moving on to the next song in the playlist.
 I've tried to make a new smartlist with the same search strings defined (so that they have identical songs) and this problem still occurs.
 I'll try breaking down these playlists into even smaller ones to see if that helps. Any other tests I should run to try to figure out what is different with these playlists?

SteveG

« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2003, 05:40:51 am »

Digitaltrapper,

For testing, if you can, wipe the iPod clean and try creating a new library and import the contents of the problematic playlists and then try the sync. If all works, then the problem is not the plugin and is something screwed up with the files in MC. If it still fails, then we can continue to try to troubleshoot this.

Thanks,

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2003, 09:10:42 am »

Steve:

Just as an FYI, I pulled up my Playcounts file on my 1.3 2nd gen iPod and there was data in there.  Not sure if you can use it (obviously ratings won't be in there), but it should help the 1st and 2nd geners.

Adam

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2003, 02:18:46 pm »

Steve,
  At this point I am not ready to wipe my ipod clean just yet. I've been struggling with it for so long, and right now I've got most of my music on here-- so it's a big accomplishment for me.
 Anyway, I've tried a couple of interesting things. I created a new playlist (playlist A) and DRAGED 2 albums from the playlist that keeps messing up. I tried to sync playlist A and guess what... It messes up too.
 But I also created another new playlist (playlist B) and instead of using the old playlist to drag the files from, I went directly into the MC library to them and copied them into playlist B. Now guess what. It synced with no problems!!
 Very strange. Maybe this gives you some more info to work with without having me do a reformat.

Thanks

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2003, 08:18:50 pm »

lalittle,

I will look at the files you send. Please verify that with the files you send, they will not be cut off if transferred with another software program to iPod.

Steve

Regarding the problem with some songs being cut off early, I verified that the same three files synched using Ephpod do NOT have this problem.  I alternated back and forth between MC and Ephpod about 8 times (4 synchs each with each program.)  I did full iPod restores in between each synch, and the results were totally consistant -- tracks always cut off early when using MC, and always played to the end when using Ephpod.  These were the EXACT same tracks.

Steve - I'm sending you two sets of files -- one set from the MC config and one from the Ephpod config.  I included the 3 songs transferred from the iPod along with the iTunesDB file.  Hopefully this will reveal the problem.  I also posted a more detailed report in another thread that specifically addresses this problem since it can be a bit more difficult to follow a specific issue in this thread.

Thanks for looking into this,

Larry

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2003, 05:40:29 am »

Just a quick "Me Too"  I'm experiencing the same issue with songs being cut off at random times.  I havent tested to this degree though.

Regarding the problem with some songs being cut off early, I verified that the same three files synched using Ephpod do NOT have this problem.  I alternated back and forth between MC and Ephpod about 8 times (4 synchs each with each program.)  I did full iPod restores in between each synch, and the results were totally consistant -- tracks always cut off early when using MC, and always played to the end when using Ephpod.  These were the EXACT same tracks.

Steve - I'm sending you two sets of files -- one set from the MC config and one from the Ephpod config.  I included the 3 songs transferred from the iPod along with the iTunesDB file.  Hopefully this will reveal the problem.  I also posted a more detailed report in another thread that specifically addresses this problem since it can be a bit more difficult to follow a specific issue in this thread.

Thanks for looking into this,

Larry

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2003, 06:52:06 am »

I am not following the problem.  Is this after you connect your iPod of just as soon as you start MC whether the iPod is connected or not? Do you have auto synch enabled? What version of MC are you currently running?

version of MC was in my post 218, I think. I'll upgrade to the next one when 227 is out 'cause it sounds like it will clear up a WMA problem I am having. However, this issue has been rather persistent since I started using MC9 in beta months ago. It did go away, I think with the last one or two production releases, or it became so infrequent as to not bother me.

This definitely happens when the iPod is connected, but I have also had it happen when only a CD was in my player and no iPod.

When I click on the CD/Drives item, to open it up and see what is below, it will start opening and closing and opening and closing at will and faster than I can click on one of the subitems and take some action (e.g. right click on the iPod drive and choose synchronize). Generally once this starts there is really nothing I can do to stop it. Sometimes it does not happen so quickly and I can get in there and get it started doing something. Sometimes the opening & closing action interferes with MC's ability to do anything.

I do not have autosync enabled.

It seems to me that this happens after MC has been open for awhile (half an hour?). Could it be a resource issue?

This kind of thing makes it so that I cannot really use MC for anything other than synching my iPod. When I want to rip CDs, I close everything else on my computer, rip for awhile when I do not need the computer for anything else. Until it crashes or starts some weird behavior like this or I run out of resources on the computer and have to reboot.

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2003, 08:32:47 am »

ugilt,

Using 9.1.225 on XP with a cleanly formatted iPod, I just synched a playlist of 1500 files with no problem. I would send more, but it is all I have. Can anyone confirm a failure with a similar test.

Been away a few days and tried this..
1. Clean slate (restored!)
2. 9.1.226 build
3. Sync'ed 3 small playlist - OK
4. Added 1 big playlist - FAILED as only the big playlist in on the wiPod now

I can also see that the replay gain is gone?

I'm getting to the point where..... Really needs this fixed now as I bought the wiPod to handle my wedding music

SteveG

« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2003, 11:02:02 am »

digitaltrapper,

I do not have others reporting the error you are seeing so it is hard to chase down.  When you say you "dragged two albums from the playlist that messes up" can you describe how you are doing this? How are you accomplishing the move of albums as opposed to tracks? Do you have a 'Playlist' or a 'Smarlist' or 'Playlist Group'?

lalittle and CautionEspn,

I transferred the 4 files that failed for lalittle mutliple times on multiple XP machines and they always played without cutoffs. What OS are you both running?

tlongacre,

If you could check out 227 and let me know, that would help.

ugilt,

Congrats on the wedding. Hopefully we can get you taken care of before then.

WHen you say "failed big playlist" how big?

What firmware is on your iPod?

What do you mean 'Replay gain is gone"?

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2003, 11:13:50 am »

ugilt,

Congrats on the wedding. Hopefully we can get you taken care of before then.

WHen you say "failed big playlist" how big?

What firmware is on your iPod?

What do you mean 'Replay gain is gone"?

Big playlist is 1.200+ songs
Firmware is 2.01 EU
The right-click - replay gain menu is gone

Also note that just sync'ing the big playlist is ok but together wiht some small manual list it fails.

To reproduce:
1. Create new Playlist (F10) group ie. "Wedding"
2. Create 3 playlist (F8) within this group and manually drag tunes to it
3. Create 1 auto-smartlist ie. year 1990-2000
4. Sync the 3 playlist from Wedding group to wiPod
5. Sync as above + the auto-smartlist.
=> Now only the auto-smartlist is on the wiPod the wedding playlists are gone!

Let me know if I can add further to reproduce this!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2003, 11:22:32 am »

lalittle and CautionEspn,

I transferred the 4 files that failed for lalittle mutliple times on multiple XP machines and they always played without cutoffs. What OS are you both running?

I'm running Win2K with the 9.0.180 version of MC.

Note that the only examples I found so far this time around only had about the last 2 seconds of the songs cut off -- not a huge amount but enough to notice on these particular tracks.  It's important to mention that in the past, some songs had over 20 seconds cut off, so the problem can be a LOT worse than the particular examples I sent. I'm sure that if I listened more I could find "better" examples that had more cut off, but I've started temporarily using Ephpod to actually sync since the songs don't get cut off at all this way.  The really odd thing is that in the past, I was able to solve the issue with a restore.  This is apparently no longer the case.

Steve -- did you get both emails with both sets of files (i.e. the Ephpod version and the MC version)?  If so, were you able to see any appreciable differences in the iTunesDB file from both versions?  I was really hoping that this would reveal the problem.

Thanks again,

Larry

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2003, 12:31:05 pm »

Steve,
  Sorry If I wasn't as clear in my last post to how i was "doing it". I don't think that most MC users are converting their entire library to lower bitrates so that might be one of the reasons that others are not having these problems...
  Anyway, in the smartplaylist that does not transcode/sync properly, I highlighted 30 or so tracks from about 3 albums, held the left mouse button down, and dragged them into a new playlist that I created called playlist A. (Like I said above... no luck...)
 When I go into my media library (not another playlist) to find these same tracks and highlight them, and then left click hold, and drag to a new playlist, B, it worked.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up