INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double import issues  (Read 2995 times)

zenpmd

• World Citizen
Double import issues
« on: April 08, 2016, 02:11:37 pm »

Hi everyone

For technical reasons I had to re-rip a few albums. I deleted them from windows but not in J River. Re-ripped them, then added to relevant import folder. Now I have several copies in J River and half dont work. Surely there is some sort of automated way that if I delete in windows it goes from J River too?

How do I get out of the mess now?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Double import issues
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:03:34 am »

Yes there is an automated way for doing this. Whether or not this configuration is the best way for your system, I'm not sure. SO do a manual library backup first. I highly recommend that the JRiver library zip file that is created is also archived (a backup of the backup). That said

2ways:

One -- is to configure your import options to acknowledge external changes then run autoimport (best to do this manually so it happens right away - do not use browse to the folder for the import, as it won't correct anything that way).

Check/choose: "Update for External Changes" and Fix Broken Links:YES, protect missing drives. If you have multiple paths to import, this must be done per path that you set to import.

note: some people don't like the last option, but this is what you want for an automatic clean up. If needed you can set it back to whatever afterwards, but unless you have external USB drives, there's no need .. my opinion.

The other is to create a smartlist, which would not be automatic, to search for dead or broken links to your media files. But its pretty easy to set up. You can create a smartlist and using the import box copy/paste this expression

Code: [Select]
[=IsMissing([Filename])]=1
This will bring up a list, just select all and delete them. The tracks should have one of those red circles with the line running through it icons. Its a good tool to have to clean up the database regardless.

It is generally better to delete/rename files from within JRiver as this will not only delete the files, but will update the JRiver database library file. So either the Rename, Move, Copy (F6 or right click under library tools or Right click on a file=>Locate=>On disk (Inside Media Center).

NOTE2: you have talked about broken links; do not confuse duplicates with broken links. If you have named your files differently or the taggin is different, the above will not sort that out of course. There are plenty of posts here on how to remove duplicates if that might also be the case.

Hope this helps :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 03:02:19 am »

Thanks guys. Presumably one obvious thing to do is delete whole library and re import? I write all tag changes to file so other than time taken to do this, there is no reason not to do that?

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:57:50 am »

Thanks guys. Presumably one obvious thing to do is delete whole library and re import? I write all tag changes to file so other than time taken to do this, there is no reason not to do that?
You can do that, if you are just starting out and have a relatively small number of CD's ripped and imported, but this is not really a big mess up. My sons used to do what you did to me all the time before they left the nest.  :D Configuring your import options and then just running auto-import, will sort out your dead links to files you removed.

A couple of reasons you may not want to:
- you will lose original import dates, and playback stats (like number of plays etc.), and some calculated data.
- you could lose custom field data that you created, if you have not chosen to write the tag to the file.
- Most key fields are indeed set to write to the file tags by default. I would still double-check (Options=>Library & Folders=>Manage Library Fields -- check that the "Save in File tags when possible" is checked for all metadata you find key.
- If you don't reconfigure your import options, this could happen again.

If the above doesn't concern you, then OK you could I suppose. (you are talking about just clearing the library (deleting just all the tracks and not deleting the whole thing; or a complete uninstall/reinstall as this would mean reconfiguring everything which is not necessary)

I'd recommend just configuring the import options and running autoimport. You probably should configure your import like this anyways. Your tracks that no longer are linked to files will be cleaned up and the stuff that is already in your library will be skipped or updated for external changes you might have made.

If you happen to have duplicates too, this happens to everybody, especially when you have a large collection. You might want to re-look your work flow at this time and use "sandboxing" - what I mean here is that you have your main media section like z:\Music\Album Artist\Album .. you might want to put your ripped files into a temp directory and incorporate that into your watched folders in your import configuration. You can stil listen to the stuff that way, but you can also run some admin (like check on duplicates, rename files, modify artwork etc.) and when satisfied you use the Rename, Move tool that Glynor linked the Wiki article to to move it from Z:\Temp\Album Artist\Album to z:\Music\Album Artist\Album.  This makes duplicate searches for example very easy, as when found you remove the ones in your temp folder for example.

Can't emphasize enough the importance of Library backups (not the media files themselves) to include an archive copy of this backup. When things go wrong or you do something stupid, first line of defence is just to restore the backup (its like a big "undo"). And maybe run autoimport manually if there were new media added since the prior back-up. Read on how this works in Glynor's link ... although JRiver does do this automatically, if you are going to do major maintenance, I run this manually first. Or after real big tagging session, I'll run another one.

Anyways your choice

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 11:06:51 am »

Thanks so much for all your help :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up