INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21 on Win 7 won't see rear audio jack output  (Read 2900 times)

M.Yu

• Recent member
MC 21 on Win 7 won't see rear audio jack output
« on: April 12, 2016, 06:03:49 pm »

I am running MC 21 on Win 7 64 bit.   MC 21 says it's output is to a "digital jack."  I have no digital jack out on this machine. 
Doesn't MC21 have and use its own driver for output to the rear audio jack?  Or does it only use the native audio driver? 

Any assistance in helping me understand this issue is greatly appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 21 on Win 7 won't see rear audio jack output
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:59:48 pm »

In Windows Control Panel > Sounds, can you get any audio?

M.Yu

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:05:11 pm »

Yes, as long as I do not select MC 21 for the audio device.  I'd love it if someone would answer my question.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 10:33:16 pm »

I am running MC 21 on Win 7 64 bit.   MC 21 says it's output is to a "digital jack."  I have no digital jack out on this machine.  

Almost all audio devices have a digital jack, even if you aren't aware of it. I think you will find that your machine has it as well. Does your motherboard/sound card have an Optical or Coaxial S/PDIF connector(s)? If so, those are your "digital jacks". The attached image of my Windows Playback Devices dialogue window shows my on motherboard Realtek sound outputs, plus the AMD video card HDMI output, and the JRiver WDM Driver. You can see two "Realtek Digital Output" devices, one of which is Optical. Those are my "Digital Jacks".

Doesn't MC21 have and use its own driver for output to the rear audio jack?  Or does it only use the native audio driver?  

No. It uses the hardware driver, as it must. JRiver don't write drivers for all the possible hardware that could exist on a PC. The PC component manufacturers do that. However MC does control whether audio is played using WASAPI, ASIO, etc., and JRiver have a ASIO driver. I'm not actually sure what/who provides the WASAPI layer, other than it is a Windows standard audio layer. I'm assuming Microsoft provide it, and the Realtek driver must support it.

Anyway, the hardware driver controls which output audio is sent to. Of course that can be set in MC, but the driver controls the flow of bits.

Yes, as long as I do not select MC 21 for the audio device.  I'd love it if someone would answer my question.

Where are you selecting MC21 as the audio device? In the Windows Playback Devices dialogue, as per the image? If so, you have selected to output all audio originating outside MC to the MC WDM Driver, which is an input to MC. For example if you play videos in YouTube using an Internet Browser, and output to the "JRiver Media Center 21" Playback Device, you are actually outputting to the MC WDM Driver, which is an input to MC. You then will hear the sound through MC, so you must have MC running, and you must have MC set up correctly. Read this.

You still have to select the correct physical device to output audio to in the MC "Options>Audio>Audio Device" setting. If you just have some speakers connected to your PC, then select Speakers as the output inside MC, and audio will work. If you have something more complex than a set of speakers, tell us about it.

So, exactly which version of MC are you running. The latest is MC21.0.66. Is that what you have?
What audio hardware do you have? Just motherboard audio, or a sound card, or a USB DAC, or what?
Do you use a Pre-Amp, Amp, Receiver, or just speakers?

Over to you.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

M.Yu

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 02:10:20 am »

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

I do not see any attached image from you but my computer has no digital out jack.  I am using the motherboard audio and it only has an analog headphone jack in the front and an analog audio out jack in the back.  The latter is the one I am trying to use to feed into a stereo receiver.  I am running 21.0.50.  and I am on Win 7.

I will double check the settings for the WDM.  That may be my issue as nothing i can do now will make MC see the audio out jack.

Thanks for the info, I'll have another go at.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 07:47:25 pm »

Sorry about that. There was a form glitch when I posted that, and I failed to notice the forum had forgotten the image attachment. I have added it now.

Could you tell me the exact brand and model of the motherboard you are using?

For example, I am using a "Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5" for my workstation, and as per my signature I am using an "ASRock Z77 Extreme6" for my MC Server/HTPC.

The Windows "System Information" tool will tell you the "System Manufacturer" and "System Model".

Thanks.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

M.Yu

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 12:04:46 am »

I finally got it sorted.  Thanks so much!

M
Pages: [1]   Go Up