INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy Bass to Subwoofer  (Read 2105 times)

Guybrush

• World Citizen
Copy Bass to Subwoofer
« on: April 15, 2016, 11:18:34 am »

In my searching I haven't found a whole lot of people who use the copy bass to sub option in MC rather than a typical crossover setup. I don't like it in music, but I do like what it does in movies, so my movie zone is currently set to copy bass from fronts to sub, while the other channels move the bass to the sub.

My rear channels are a set a floorstanding Klipsch F20s that are good down to 38Hz according to spec. That's decent extension for rear channels and I'd like to try the copy bass option on those as well, but would that be too much? I went the floorstanding route for the rears because that is what I had and in my case they are more childproof, but I feel like they aren't being used to their potential, which is what is driving this post.

I know I can just test it out myself, which I will of course do, but am interested in others' opinions/experience.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
Re: Copy Bass to Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 10:38:00 am »

Still no thoughts on copying bass?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:34:24 pm »

Various speakers/subs almost always have different phase characteristics. Ported speakers that rolloff at 38 Hz have different phase than a subwoofer. When you copy instead of move, the speaker and subwoofer can cancel each other out at some frequency. This produces more problems with the sound. For this reason, it is usually best to move audio to the subwoofer rather than copy the bass and play from multiple sources.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 07:53:51 pm »

I tried to test for that problem by running a low frequency sweep. Everything was smooth in the transition range. Is that a poor way of testing for phase cancellations?
Pages: [1]   Go Up