INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Girder help please  (Read 1668 times)

DanB

• nothing more to say...
Girder help please
« on: February 07, 2003, 12:05:40 pm »

As you guys can tell, I am very new to these forums. I have used the search tool and manual means in both here, girder.nl, and avsforum.com with no results so I must pose this question:  
What functions can I control via Girder?
I have downloaded a GML file that does show me a few things possible, but what exactly is and isn't possible using Girder with MJ/MC?
I'm trying to use this app as an MP3 only audio server using an IR (Pronto TSU2000) remote and displaying via the TV. Any help as to how to get there would be very appreciated. Also, I'm trying to make this not only wife/girlfriend-friendly, but powerful as well (i.e. If I can use the find option (ctrl-f I believe right?)with a virual keyboard on the pronto that would be even better). Thanks in advance for any information or tips!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Girder help please
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 12:24:04 pm »

I've never used Girder, but I believe you can get Girder to do almost anything with an application.  It requires some patience.  There is a link on the Media Center board to Instructions.  In it is a link to many ways of controlling Media Center or Media Jukebox remotely.  Some of those links may help.

Posting on the Media Center board (see "boards" above) would probably work better, but you will have to dig for the information.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Girder help please
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 06:55:33 pm »

What functions can I control via Girder?

Well...just about anything you can click on, use a keyboard command for, or generate a menu command for. Needless to say, that's a lot! Yes, it can be very complicated. The GMLs on the Girder website assume you have installed the Girder plug-in for MJ (I don't know if it works on MC). Those GMLs use the MJ Girder plugin to control functions with Windows Messaging. I keep promising that I'll post a GML/CCF combo for MJ, but I never quite get around to finishing it up.

I'm able to use all transport controls, navigation, playlist selection, full-screen commands...most everything.

I'm trying to use this app as an MP3 only audio server using an IR (Pronto TSU2000) remote and displaying via the TV. Any help as to how to get there would be very appreciated. Also, I'm trying to make this not only wife/girlfriend-friendly, but powerful as well (i.e. If I can use the find option (ctrl-f I believe right?)with a virtual keyboard on the pronto that would be even better).

This is exactly my application. I use a Marantz 5200 (same basic specs as your TSU2k). Search around here for Girder-related posts, & you'll be able to get started.

Your virtual keyboard idea is neat & can/has been done. It's simplest if you have an IR keyboard that you can learn into your remote (or that a CCF already exists for). Girder can do it without a dedicated IR keyboard, but there's much more programming involved.

Another site you'll want to check out is the Remote Central website:
http://www.remotecentral.com

They have lots of CCFs and Girder users there too.

Good luck!
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up