INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: actual album count  (Read 3482 times)

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
actual album count
« on: April 26, 2016, 01:45:46 am »

The album count ("All albums") only counts album titles, not actual number of albums. If there multiple albums with the same name by different artists, the count is "1." Is there a way to get an actual album count?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: actual album count
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 03:47:02 am »

not sure if I understand your definition of "actual album count".  For most music data bases, a multi-disc album counts as one.

So eg. The White Album from the Beatles was originally a 2 CD disk. If after the rip you keep the Album name like The White Album Disc 1 and The White Album Disc 2. It will split the album in two.  It would return an album count of 2. If, like most discographies, you want to show it as one album, you select all the tracks and retag the album name to just the White Album -- now the Album count would be 1, which arguably is what it should be.

Now you mention that the same album name with a different artist counts only as 1? No the default always groups an [Album] and [Album Artist] or [Album Artist (Auto)] fields. This shouldn't happen. Maybe you are referring to different version of the same album by the same album artist? Like a hires remaster and another edition. People handle this in different ways here if this is the case -- usually you indicate this in the Album field to break it out into separate Albums. Like "The White Album [Mono Version]" and The White Album [2009 Stereo Remaster]"

However if you are not referring to the Album Count but rather you want the "Actual CD Count" for some reason, people have talked about that too !
Here's a recent post and a link from an older version as to how you might get that information http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104082.msg723472#msg723472  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79445.0

Search and ye shall find ;)

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:33:23 am »

Thank you for a reply.

In a Panes album view (a rather basic view in MC), there are three columns: Genre, Artist, and Album. The top row gives number of genres, artists and albums respectively. As I wrote previously, the albums count considers three (3) albums with the same name by different artists as one (1) album.

This is a fact as to how MC behaves (21.0.50).

Your reply indicated confusion. Hope this provides a precise enough description.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 06:56:52 am »

I just tested this and the OP is right!  The album count at the top of an Albums Pane only counts unique album names.  Which makes sense in a pure database kind of way.  But for actually counting your albums... it doesn't make much sense.

Here's one way to get a true album count:

1.  Add a new Pane to your panes view, preferably at the very end.
2.  Call it whatever you want; I called mine true albums.  Select Expression as the type.  Use this for expression to group by:
[album] - [album artist (auto)]
3.  Hit OK to save.

Now that column should show you all of your albums and count them correctly.

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:01:01 am »

The album count ("All albums") only counts album titles, not actual number of albums. If there multiple albums with the same name by different artists, the count is "1." Is there a way to get an actual album count?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79445.0
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 05:45:49 pm »

blgentry:

Thank you for a reply.

FYI, your mention of "a pure database kind of way" is bunk. A database at root level would rightly count records (rows in a table), irrespective of relationships.

At least you knew you what your were writing about when it came to a workaround for this MC bug, and I appreciate that.

OP indeed.

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 06:02:29 pm »

FYI, your mention of "a pure database kind of way" is bunk. A database at root level would rightly count records (rows in a table), irrespective of relationships.

At least you knew you what your were writing about when it came to a workaround for this MC bug, and I appreciate that.

OP indeed.

The MC database is rightly counting the number of distinct album names. No bug there. And now you know how to make it count something different.

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 08:59:19 pm »

DJLegba,

You have my curiosity. Why do you think unique album names provides a correct count?

Certainly you cannot argue that it from user expectation. Nor is it a proper count of distinct albums. What possible use is it beyond a meaningless statistic?
Pages: [1]   Go Up