INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's Your Playground  (Read 4675 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
It's Your Playground
« on: April 28, 2016, 07:27:56 am »

On a more serious note.... FFS - I'm well over these Audiophiles obsessive argument that only "bitperfect" output somehow brings audio nirvana.  I'm glad that Jim shuts these threads down.

It makes me rather upset every time a discussion is shut down for seemingly no reason.  This one wasn't out of control.  It wasn't crazy.  We were just starting to get somewhere.  Then boom it's shut down.  It's your playground Jim and friends.  But it's getting less attractive to stay and play.  I'd like to think I contribute something here.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: It's Your Playground
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:11:31 am »

Brian,
It isn't a playground.  It's a workplace, with a little playground in the mix.  We do have some fun, but the forum is an essential part of our work, and that is its primary purpose.

Some people on the forum like to discuss some very esoteric subjects, and a few tend to become argumentative and even combative.  The noise can make it hard to work.

Some feel, as you do, that the discussion gets cut off too soon, or that it should never be cut off, but I believe this forum would be a lot less welcoming to new users and would soon become the playground of a few.

If you feel the need, there are other forums where such discussions are more welcome.  Private messages are also available.

Your contributions are much appreciated.

Jim

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:21:44 pm »

It isn't a playground.  It's a workplace, with a little playground in the mix.

If you haven't heard the term "it's your playground" before, it means this:  I acknowledge that you own this place and that I'm not entitled to a vote because I don't own it or even work here."  I wasn't trying to imply anything about work versus play.  Just using an expression.

Some feel, as you do, that the discussion gets cut off too soon, or that it should never be cut off, but I believe this forum would be a lot less welcoming to new users and would soon become the playground of a few.

I think that some lines of discussion are cut off super fast because of some history around certain things; sometimes history that I'm not aware of; other times I see it coming and I know why.  Either way, I think discussion is stifled from time to time.  This isn't every day or anything.  It's just often enough that I'm speaking up about it.  This most recent discussion was a good example.  Yes, it's moving towards "audiophile" territory, but the core discussion was about the function of an MC *feature*.  This feature is widely misunderstood.  To be frank, I'm not even sure all of the developers understand this feature completely.  More discussion would probably have helped.

Your contributions are much appreciated.

Thanks.  It's nice to hear that every now and then.  I've tried to be as polite and factual as possible here to promote a non-confrontational discussion.  Are you willing to consider relaxing the line for where you normally lock threads?  If not, I'm not going to go stomping off mad.  I'll just know that it's not worth discussing in the future and I can suck it up or I can leave when I become too frustrated with it.

Brian.

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »

As I understand it, this is what the "Cheap Thrills" subforum is for.  If you want to push your supposed first amendment rights, my advice is try it in that forum.  ISTR JimH creating that area in the hopes that people and their soap boxes would gather there to declaim.  I think when the megaphone-enabled found their way back to the main forums, JimH just gave up and started locking threads again.

I like to see a lively forum but managing it is a LOT of work--time that would be better spent (IMO) working through the many and proliferating feature request threads.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 03:37:34 pm »

^ My friend, I posted this comment in the private beta area and it was moved here by Jim, not by me.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 04:46:10 pm »

I moved it because I thought it was worth discussing.

I don't have any problem with your objection or how you phrased it.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:07:36 pm »

Perhaps there could be an "Audio Theory" or "Audio Discussion" sub forum - then if a discussion on the main forum is gets too far into left field, a moderator could just move the discussion to the sub forum rather than lock it.

I'm not an audio guy - but I enjoy reading those types of posts. I learn a lot from them.

I also think, as JRiver is (and wants to be) the leader in audio playback/media-management software, JRiver would want to encourage this sort of discussion. It lets others know (some of whom may just be checking out the program) that there are a lot of audio experts here supporting JRiver, and that they are willing to help.

IMHO.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:31:23 pm »

I have no problem with audio theory, but I do have a problem with someone taking an obscure and dubious position and defending it, no matter what, as if it were true.

A lot of mis-information is blithely passed around as fact in this manner.  Just not here.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 09:10:28 pm »

It's just often enough that I'm speaking up about it.  This most recent discussion was a good example.  Yes, it's moving towards "audiophile" territory, but the core discussion was about the function of an MC *feature*.  This feature is widely misunderstood.  To be frank, I'm not even sure all of the developers understand this feature completely.  More discussion would probably have helped.
that's an example of a discussion that belongs on a version agnostic "discussions about features that result in wiki pages" board (albeit I know there are strong opinions against such feature discussion boards)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »

Three off topic posts were removed.

Closing this now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up