INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloning MC library and settings  (Read 1933 times)

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
Cloning MC library and settings
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:38 am »

I’m trying to clone the MC21 library and settings from one Windows 10 desktop PC on my home network to another so that MC on the new PC looks and behaves exactly like MC on the old PC.

It works up to a point BUT it does crazy things on the network because the cloned MC on the new PC thinks it’s still MC on the old PC. As a result, it gives its local library the same name as the local library on the old PC and behaves as if the new MC is somewhere else!

The libraries under “Playing now” go nuts because the new MC thinks it’s the old MC and yet it can see the new MC on the network. It loads its local library and it will play but you keep getting error messages flashing up saying it can’t load the library over DLNA or something like that and the names of the libraries are all wrong and you can't change the names of the libraries because it rejects any changes you try to make.  Also, the new MC assumes the same access key as the old MC – but this is less of a problem because you can just reset this and get a new access key.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Just to be clear, I’m not only cloning the library but also all the machine settings and user settings because I don’t want to have to go through everything resetting everything. I’m using MC purely for music files and the music files on the new PC are identical to the music files on the old PC – I synced them across.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cloning MC library and settings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:48:21 am »

Are you backing up from MC on the first machine and then restoring the backup (including settings) on the second machine?

That should get  you most of the way, but some things are machine specific so you may need to change some of the settings.

If it's trying to load a DLNA library, tell MC to load the local library.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:45:31 am »

Yes, sorry, I should have explained the method - just as you said, I'm doing a backup (library AND settings) on the old PC and then a restore on the new PC.

I can load the local library on the new PC but the problem is, MC still thinks it's on the old PC loading the old local files on the old PC. So it gives its library the name of the old library on the old PC PC. And under "Playing now", it lists the new PC as if it was another PC somewhere else on the network!

I can change the name of the local library to the new PC's name. So then it at least appears to be OK. But then I have two instances of the new PC on the network because JRiver is still seeing the new PC as existing somewhere else on the network. And if I try to delete that second instance, I can't  - it just reappears as soon as I hit the delete button. So I think DLNA is very messed up.

What's needed is some way of cloning all the settings EXCEPT the media network/DLNA settings. Or failing that, is there some way of deleting all the media network/DLNA settings? Then I could replace them with "virgin" settings from a newly-downloaded copy of MC, or let MC generate new ones for itself.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:49:38 am »

Have you tried resetting the access key?

Tools > Options > Media Network > access key > Reset...

You may want to reset authentication there as well, *if* you are using authentication (username and password for network access to MC).

Brian.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:08:15 am »

Yes, I've done the reset. (I'm not using authentication). One of the problems with cloning is that it also duplicates the access key so you have two PCs on your network with the same access key. But that's quite easy to deal with because you just reset the access key on one of them and that seems to solve the problem (though you also need to set up separate port forwarding for each of them.) But it doesn't do anything to solve the local network/DLNA problems, which are the real headache. The fundamental problem seems to be that MC has no way of recognising that it's been moved to a new PC and is convinced it's still on the old one.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 02:29:26 pm »

OK, I think I have misunderstood the problem. I don't think it's anything to do with cloning the library after all. This is what I'm seeing.

Let's say my new PC is called New PC. Looking in the tree under Player, the local library loads fine as Main Library but underneath I'm also seeing another library named New PC. If I hover over it with the mouse, it says "New PC is a DLNA library from a device on the network. Loaded: No."

If I try to load this library, I can't, because there's nothing in it.

If I try to delete this library, it pops back instantaneously.

I can hide the library, but I'm just puzzled that it's there.

Is it normal for MC to appear twice in the tree under Player, once as Main Library and a second time as a DLNA library on the network?
Pages: [1]   Go Up