INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Separate the audio and video interfaces  (Read 6283 times)

JoeBoxster

• Recent member
Separate the audio and video interfaces
« on: May 10, 2016, 06:52:00 pm »

I don't respond often, but this is a chance to give you my opinion in an area where MC could improve.

Only one suggestion: Subtly separate the audio and video interfaces; the common interface as it stands is neither fish nor fowl.  I tend to use MC for audio/music and focus on the audiophile qualities of MC. If the two function were separate each interface could be tuned to the specific purpose. I still want the functionality of both, but I want my music interface to be for listening and my video interface for watching.

Theater view suffers the most, is for video or audio?

Thanks for "listening."

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Separate the audio and video interfaces
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 08:25:47 pm »

Could you explain how they should be different?

stewart_pk

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:33:30 pm »

I don't respond often, but this is a chance to give you my opinion in an area where MC could improve.

Only one suggestion: Subtly separate the audio and video interfaces; the common interface as it stands is neither fish nor fowl.  I tend to use MC for audio/music and focus on the audiophile qualities of MC. If the two function were separate each interface could be tuned to the specific purpose. I still want the functionality of both, but I want my music interface to be for listening and my video interface for watching.

Theater view suffers the most, is for video or audio?

Thanks for "listening."

I don't really understand what you're asking.

And to answer your question Theater View is for EVERYTHING.
At home on my HTPC I use it and presumably many others for both for video and audio and it's pretty obvious that it was designed for both.
Do understand you can configure Theater View extensively and remove video options?

JoeBoxster

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 12:00:09 pm »

Hi,

I don't have the expertise nor the time to do "extensive" customization. Possibly I am not using MC correctly and need to study some document or wiki to fully grok the beast. You asked the question and I responded and I seem to have gone down the wrong path.

Sorry

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 12:34:05 pm »

Hi,

I don't have the expertise nor the time to do "extensive" customization. Possibly I am not using MC correctly and need to study some document or wiki to fully grok the beast. You asked the question and I responded and I seem to have gone down the wrong path.

Sorry

No need to be sorry Joe.

If you could be a bit more specific in terms of how you'd like audio to behave differently form video, tips could be forthcoming to reduce the learning curve for you. I use theater view a lot for audio, and rely on custom views to get the most out of it.

There can be improvements for sure, but if you could define the differences you'd like to see, someone could get back indicating if it can already be done, or if it could be a feature request

jachin99

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 05:32:33 pm »

Maybe have a separate view or program within jriver users can browse for audio listening only?

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:58:24 am »

I don't have the expertise nor the time to do "extensive" customization. Possibly I am not using MC correctly and need to study some document or wiki to fully grok the beast.

THAT's the point! The ui maybe good, but I can't explain my family the theater view because even I sometimes push a button and have no clue why something completely different happens  ;)

The idea of 2 different setups is not bad. I use audio vs. video 50%-50%, but theater view only for video because of the incoherent behavior when playing audio. Audio is only easy to use in jremote.

Regards,

Thorsten

RD James

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 08:00:43 am »

I don't think the issue has anything to do with audio vs video playback.
JRiver just has some weird behaviors, in theater mode and outside of it, that only make sense to the people who have been using it for the past 20 versions.
The problem is that those people are the developers and they are reluctant to change things because it works fine for them.

They say they want to work on making things easier for people to use, but they would have to overhaul a lot of how the program behaves.

I've been using JRiver for a few years now and I still avoid theater view because there are so many ways that it behaves unexpectedly that it just makes the program difficult to use.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 08:26:07 am »

General complaints are of no use. 

If you have a specific suggestion that you've not made before, please feel free to offer it.

Castius

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 11:34:17 am »

In regards to this idea. I'm not sure they need to be separated.
However playing now could have more features that respond to the type and meta data.
Like I want to see the crew artist images of a movie. But I also would like to see band members.
It's very similar. But might look better if they look different.

Anther similar idea is audio tracks vs movie chapters. When I'm learning to a album it would be nice to pull up a tracks into. If like to do the same for movie chapters.. But they have there own thumbnails and description.

Videos also have separate video and audio tracks. That might fit better in a different layout

I personal think most areas can be put into a reasonable standard. But I could see where it could be interesting to have there differences.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 11:40:25 am »

... I want to see the crew artist images of a movie. But I also would like to see band members.
We'll try to do some of this for the next version.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Castius

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 01:35:14 pm »

Woohoo. Thanks!

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 03:28:29 pm »

Like I want to see the crew artist images of a movie.

I don't understand this request.  Images of the Actors and/or Director?  When would you see this?  I ask because a movie is visual, so there's no room for "extra images".

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 06:23:07 pm »

I don't understand this request.  Images of the Actors and/or Director?  When would you see this?  I ask because a movie is visual, so there's no room for "extra images".

Agreed. It doesn't make any sense in Playing Now.

However, it would be pretty slick if Theater View could show little "headshots" (pulled from TMDB) for Actors when displayed, instead of just showing a list:
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up