INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21 & latest Win 10 - slow on importing mkv files  (Read 4409 times)

ozziaj

• Recent member
MC21 & latest Win 10 - slow on importing mkv files
« on: May 14, 2016, 10:50:01 am »

Hi there.

I’ve just installed Windows 10 (14316.1000.160402-2217.RS1, 64bit) on my new laptop, and thought I might give JRiver MC a go to see how it works on this new Win 10 release.

I installed MC version v21.0.81 as a trial. Imported my music collection (some 900+ mp3 albums) without problem. Then tried importing my videos (35 mkv files ranging between 8 and 38GB in size), also all from my (internal) D: partition.

MC21 took about 14 minutes before it “discovered” the mkv files, and another 32 (!!!) minutes before loading the video files into its library.  >:( ?

Somehow I’d like to think this is not the normal behavior of MC21 on Windows 10, but hope to get some recommendations here.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix the problem, please?  :-[

On my Windows 7 setup (32bit) I’m still using my old MC18 setup, which works pretty ok.  :)

So anyway, I made an Acronis image backup of the new Win 10 install, uninstalled MC21 (including left-over registry settings), and installed my old MC18 version on Win 10.

Hmm, same issue: no problems importing mp3’s, but just as ridiculously slow on importing mkv video files.  ::)

So, big question: what to do? Is this a Windows 10 issue? Is there a suggested solution, please?  :-[

On a by-note: I was hesitating to install this Windows 10 version since my previous experience (some 12 months ago) with this puppy weren’t the best. But, I gotta say, this Redstone Release 1, seems extremely stable and solid, and works A-Ok with everything else installed. No driver issues, no BSOD’s, just solid and fast.

Cheers and thanks for all help and suggestions.  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC21 & latest Win 10 - slow on importing mkv files
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 10:54:23 am »

Do you have an antivirus program checking every file every time it is opened?

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 12:40:43 am »

Thanks, but no, this is a stock standard Win 10 install. In fact so far MC21 is the only additional software installed.

EDIT: I just noticed that MC21 on this latest Win 10 Redstone 1 release goes online when importing mkv files. I suspect MC is trying to get movie related data, even so I have already all related jpg and xml files in the folders. As I'm currently and for the next 2 years in China, this behavior certainly explains the massive delay on import.

I mean, well, yeah we do have pretty good internet connection speeds around here, but as soon as one tries to connect to a link outside China (or more to the point: outside China's control), online speeds drop to something silly (even when using a good VPN).  8)

So, question now remains how to turn off this behavior in MC21 ... ??  ?

Note 1: as far as I know, MC18 on Win 7 never tried to go online when importing mkv files ... must be something new??

Note 2: Just for the fun of it, I fully disabled MS Defender in Win 10 (as usual with M$, one needs to jum through a few hoops, namely a short trip to the group policies). As expected, this didn't make any difference to the import delay ...

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 06:30:18 am »

In the "Tools>Options>Library & Folders>Configure Auto Import" you can uncheck the box for "Get Movie & TV Info" and the box for "Get Cover Art". That will stop MC from going to internet on new imports.

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:45:57 am »

Thanks CountryBumkin, but that's not doing the trick for me. MC21 will still go online ... for what, I don't know.  ?

Any other ideas?

Cheers and peace be with ya'

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 12:59:17 am »

Well, seems there's no solution to the issue I've queried here. Just to make sure there's no problem at my end, I did another install of the same Win 10 and MC versions on another testbed of mine. Win 10 is left not activated (ok for 30 days) and MC is left in trial mode. No other programs or Win 10 updates were installed, and Win 10 is left at all system default settings.

MC installed fine, but crashed as soon as I tried to import my previous settings/library. Recovered on restart, but continues to take for ever importing mkv files if the system is online.

If I take the system offline (i.e. no internet connection), MC imports mkv's without a clitch or any delay.

Though MC will still crash on the odd occasion randomly.

Clearly, at least for me, MC is not Win 10 ready just yet. I hope the developers don't claim otherwise.

In a nutshell, though, this gives me no incentive to buy MC at this stage.  :-\

So, wait and see ... for another 12 months to see if the developers can get MC fully Win 10 compatible.  :-[

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 07:02:09 am »

If it works when you're disconnected from the Internet, and not when you are, then my guess is either a firewall preventing MC from accessing other servers, or antivirus software.

There is a topic on the wiki called "Taming Windows Defender".  We also have an "Antivirus Problems" thread on the forum.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 07:57:03 am »

Clearly, at least for me, MC is not Win 10 ready just yet. I hope the developers don't claim otherwise.

There are a lot of Win10 users on this forum that are not reporting problems like you are having. I rip all my movies to MKV and I don't see any delays importing. Maybe it is a combination of hardware and software (some combination that makes your system different from the other Win10 users). How are you connecting to internet (WiFi to Router)?

You should list all of your hardware in you next post. Also a Log created after your crash may help figure this out (Help>Logging).

Also it looks like your running a Windows Insider Preview (ver. 14316. BTW the latest is 14342)  - so if that is the case, there could be problems with that.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 09:54:41 am »

As I'm currently and for the next 2 years in China, this behavior certainly explains the massive delay on import.

I mean, well, yeah we do have pretty good internet connection speeds around here, but as soon as one tries to connect to a link outside China (or more to the point: outside China's control), online speeds drop to something silly (even when using a good VPN).  8)

This is why he has a speed issue.  I think he's wanting a setting to turn off lookups.  Which I thought was under:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders >configure auto import > tasks > get movie and TV info > (uncheck)

Brian.

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 03:44:49 am »

@ blgentry

Thanks, mate. That did the trick for me.

Cheers and peace be with ya' :)

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 05:08:54 am »

@ blgentry

Hmm. This IS strange. While this seemed to have fixed the issue for a couple of imports, it now no longer works, even though I haven't changed any settings again....

Very strange behaviour! BTW, under Windows 7, I never had to uncheck  these settings .... I still think it's related to some incompatibility between MC and this version of Win 10 ...

Oh well, there's always the "workaround" of briefly disabling internet access when importing mkv files ... bit tedious, but no real biggy.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 06:52:15 am »

In reply #5 you said unchecking the "Get Movie & TV Info" and "Get Cover Art" was not helping, then you said in reply #11 that it worked. Maybe MC working at that time was just coincidental. Was anything different on your system between reply 5 and reply 9?

I don't know what is going on with your system. My last idea - is to try unchecking "Submit cover art changes to online database" at "Tools>Options>General>Online Metadata". I don't know how this feature works (but it may be trying to access database via internet connection without User action).
Pages: [1]   Go Up