INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver on Windows 10  (Read 6517 times)

cheadrick

• Recent member
JRiver on Windows 10
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:26:52 pm »

Hi all,
I have skimmed through the forum but can not seem to find the answers I am looking for even though I would not be surprised to know they are buried somewhere in here.
Anyway I will ask.
I had JRiver MC20 on my Windows 7 computer working as I wanted.
I have upgraded my computer to Windows 10 and now I get an error message that says:
Media Center was installed for a different operating system.
Please reinstall Media Center.

Well that got me thinking that instead of installing MC20 again can I just install MC21?

If I install MC21 will the program copy my old configuration and settings over to the new version?

Please help if you can,
Chip

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Upgrade JRiver on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 12:43:06 pm »

Yes.  MC21 will copy old settings.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cheadrick

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 01:23:50 pm »

Can I install MC21 without having to install MC20 first?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 01:37:49 pm »

Well I would have guessed "upgrading your computer to Windows 10" would have left MC installed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 01:56:00 pm »

Well I would have guessed "upgrading your computer to Windows 10" would have left MC installed.

Actually... for the first time in history... a Windows upgrade from 7/8 to 10 works "in-place" and retains almost everything.  LOL... the upgrade did not keep "Classic Shell", which I re-installed.

cheadrick

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 03:16:25 pm »

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 did leave MC20 installed but it does not work.
When I tried to start MC20 I received an error message that said I need to reinstall MC.
My last question is; Do I need to reinstall MC20 or can I just install MC21 and still keep my settings from MC20?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 06:31:29 pm »

My last question is; Do I need to reinstall MC20 or can I just install MC21 and still keep my settings from MC20?

Whether you need to reinstall MC20 or not I don't know. However I would advise that you do reinstall MC20 before upgrading to MC21.

Early experience was that MC needed a reinstallation after an upgrade to Windows 10, as do many other applications. This is because MC needs to re-register stuff in Windows, like DirectShow filters, COM objects, and such.

As it isn't a difficult thing to do, I think you should. Get the last version of MC20 and install it, then run MC20 to check it all works. You might see a message about installing or registering stuff when you first run MC. Play a few different types of media so that MC makes sure all components are installed and working. Then all should be good, and you can upgrade to MC21.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Jsegovia3

Re: JRiver on Windows 10
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 07:01:00 pm »

Hello,

I've been using MC 017 with Windows 7 since 7-2-12 and I've been very happy.  In Feb. of 2014 I bought but never installed  MC 019 as I had been told that it would not save my settings.  Yesterday  without warning Windows 7 began upgrading its and it ended up giving me the same message as "chedrick" that I have a error and need to order the right operating system.

I went ahead and loaded MC 19 thinking it might do the job but I got the same message.  What I need is for you to sell me what ever version I need so that I can perform a stress free download  possible and get back to playing music.

appreciatively,

Jess

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:07:58 pm »

Try re-installing any version of MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 07:09:06 pm »

Just reinstall the existing version overtop of itself.  The Windows upgrade preserves most, but not all, of the files used in a MC installation. Stuff in the System32 directory does not get preserved, which is why it complains when you try to launch it after upgrading Windows.

Reinstalling MC overtop of itself will replace these missing files (whether MC12, 17, 19, or 21). That is all you have to do (and doing it once for one version will almost certainly "fix" all of the versions you have installed). This applies to all major upgrades of Windows, and all versions of MC (and plenty of other applications to boot).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up