INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sage TV Features Missing in MC  (Read 12929 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Sage TV Features Missing in MC
« on: May 10, 2016, 11:14:17 am »

TV:
If I compare it to SageTV...
Dec 2016 Edit: -Stability isn't not quite there yet compared to Sage...(Getting closer and closer though)  Stability is there now!!!
-Client/Server needs rework.  Using a client for casual TV watching and surfing is painful in MC. Sage allowed you to have both a Server and Client working on the same PC not interfering with one another. And using it through a client was as fast as on the same PC and totally transparent to a user.
-A few key features missing vs Sage...

General:
-Some very good points were made above especially on the documentation.. Interact is great but it's really hard to find info on new features or how-to's as most of the Wikis are out of date. So either an updated wiki or an owner's manual would be awesome (I would opt for the wiki...More versatile)...(Foobar and dBpoweramp are even worst than MC on this but Sage had fairly good documentation)

In a nutshell I would give TV alone a lot more work and attention for MC.  The poor Yaobing is overworked :)...
A cosmetic revamp of either TV and Audio at this point is not where I would focus to get more customers... (For TV I would just get nicer and automatically downloadable channel icons in theater view..That's it!).
EDIT: Audio..IMHO Despite what I mentioned above is working just fine as-is and is already WAY ahead of the competition...

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Sage TV Features
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:12:25 pm »

-A few key features missing vs Sage...

Like what? That's the point of this thread  ;)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
Sage TV Features
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 08:24:06 am »

Like what? That's the point of this thread  ;)

1. Resolve Sporadic issue where the Hauppage Blaster will stop sending IR commands: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103472.msg720033#msg720033
2. Dedicated Service for TV recording or make TV recordings less susceptible to the GUI hanging or crashing: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103553.msg719554#msg719554, http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103143.msg718240#msg718240
3. Respect Tuner Priority from both the Managed device list and preferred tuner even when tuners are in use ESPECIALLY for recordings. (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102954.msg714775#msg714775)
4. Checkbox to Load Local library by default: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103629.msg720089#msg720089
5. Commercial skip timelines: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96783.msg719627#msg719627
6. Multiple recording folders for TV
7. Ability to go back a few days in theater view guide.
8. For subscriptions please combine "by search rules" and "by time" as it would make it a lot more flexible to adjust subscriptions : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103024.msg715336#msg715336 (Partly Addressed...)
9. In standard Television view in the drop down for days go up to 21 days (and keep the last 2 days back this is handy)
10. Resolve the Load Program Guide issue : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103516.msg720138#msg720138
11. Clarify or resolve XMLTV profile issues where the full command line is required for it to work properly : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102892.msg720071#msg720071

The ones with the Srikethrough have been addressed/resolved and show you how the MC team is listening and is very responsive/proactive to the feedback we provide them with.  Much appreciated keep it up (only a few more left  ;) to be on par with my beloved Sage!! )

imeric

• MC Beta Team
Re: Sage TV Features Missing in MC
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:57:28 am »

TWO missing from my list above.

1. Recording logs when a recording is missed for XYZ reason such as :
-Recording Conflicts (what show was recorded instead)
-Tuners unavailable
-Unable to lock a signal
-***Not enough Hard Drive Space available
2. Warning Flag if TV Recording folder is running low on Disk Space (Configurable plz)

Castius

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:07:50 am »

Remote DVR editing
Remote viewing live without (eos)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:23:27 am »

Remote DVR editing
Remote viewing live without (eos)

Can you please elaborate a little?
(I guess you mean the Web client.. But I didn't really use it..)
Just curious thx.

I'm fairly sure that is something MC could do (run a client over the web) but I never managed to get it to work (well I didn't spend the time to do it either...)
I just use remote Desktop instead...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:29:22 am »

I'm fairly sure that is something MC could do (run a client over the web) but I never managed to get it to work (well I didn't spend the time to do it either...)
I just use remote Desktop instead...
That might account for some problems you've had.  When you report problems, please also include that information.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:34 am »

2 different things.

I just didn't spend enough time on the client-server over the web to post anything about it and it may work just fine I just haven't got to it yet...But definitely will one day..:)
And I find it easier to just use RDP as I need to access the PC for other stuff anyway...

All my other client-server (issues) are on the same network and have been documented:
They're not really issues (besides being slow for channel surfing) they are more of an annoyance if I want to use a PC both running as a client at times and as a TV recorder.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 11:01:00 am »

I guess when you say "over the web" that you mean "over the Internet".  

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 11:02:26 am »

I guess when you say "over the web" that you mean "over the Internet". 
Or the cloud :)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
Features Missing in MC
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 04:19:15 pm »

(Coming from WMC) Few things:
- Tv Guide selection does not stay pinned to left edge when scrolling up/down. Suddenly jumps way to the right, off the screen, then have to find it and get it back to the left.
- Ability to have the Tv Guide vertical line optional.
- Commercial skip timeline markers.
- Commercial skip toggle on/off with remote while playing.
- After watching a recording (at the end of a show or when pressing stop), immediately show dialog to Delete or Cancel (do not delete). Instead of having to navigate 6-8 button presses to Delete.
- Client Live Tv of Comcast music channels is horribly painful (select channel, wait 30 seconds for "buffering", press pause, wait 20 seconds, press play).
- Pop up on Server and Clients if a recording does not start or end properly.
- Ability to start MC in last used USER ACCOUNT (without password, without programming a script).
- Replace current Tuner Priority method with Tuner GROUPS. Ability to assign a given channel to a GROUP of tuners rather that one specific tuner.
- Theater View Client Series Cover Art does not refresh unless you close MC and re-run. New and deleted episodes are updated when re-connecting to Server but NEW Series Cover Art is not updated (only get thumbnail). Refreshing is not possible with remote (unless reboot PC which takes too long). Asked for Theater View Restart MC "button" in Too Easy thread but went completely ignored.
- Easy Android App to view/edit recording schedule list (ala Ceton "My Media Center" for WMC).
- Add Copy Once channels.

JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: Features Missing in MC
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 04:39:37 pm »

- Tv Guide selection does not stay pinned to left edge when scrolling up/down. Suddenly jumps way to the right, off the screen, then have to find it and get it back to the left.
This is something I'd like rectified too

- After watching a recording (at the end of a show or when pressing stop), immediately show dialog to Delete or Cancel (do not delete). Instead of having to navigate 6-8 button presses to Delete.
Not a bad idea.
- Pop up on Server and Clients if a recording does not start or end properly.
Again, not a bad idea.
- Easy Android App to view/edit recording schedule list (ala Ceton "My Media Center" for WMC).
I've asked for a MCWS web interface to be able to schedule / edit recordings for ages, so I'm all for this. I've asked for record / subscribe / cancel commands to be added to MCWS so this can be achieved by third party plugins. If they can do it, I'm going to look at putting together a web interface (in my spare time). The ability to schedule recordings remotely (while I'm away, or out or whatever) would be great.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 07:49:04 am »

- Ability to have the Tv Guide vertical line optional.
I don't like that line either. Don't quite understand why this was given priority and implemented but I guess it was important for others and I also would like the ability to turn it off.
- Commercial skip timeline markers.
- Commercial skip toggle on/off with remote while playing.
YES YES YES PLZ :)
- Replace current Tuner Priority method with Tuner GROUPS. Ability to assign a given channel to a GROUP of tuners rather that one specific tuner.
Why would you want that? What is the current Tuner priority feature stopping you from doing anything? How many cards do you have to need to group them together?
I really need this feature as not all cards have the same reception quality and I would miss recordings if this is taken away or changed.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 09:06:08 am »

Why would you want that? What is the current Tuner priority feature stopping you from doing anything? How many cards do you have to need to group them together?
I really need this feature as not all cards have the same reception quality and I would miss recordings if this is taken away or changed.

I have two tuner cards. Ceton 6 tuner + HDHRP 3 tuner.

I think I may see the quandary here... you may have a weak tuner card for all channels, while I have specific channels that are weak/fail on one tuner card vs the other. The current model does work to some extent for my situation but it would be slightly better if you imagine groups:
-Place  6 Ceton tuners in group A
-Place 3 HDHRP tuners in group B
-Allows me to put any number of weak channels in group B, and put all the remaining channels in group A.

And actually WMC has an even better method (IMO). You can over-ride the master list of tuners for each and every channel. Go to any given channel and there are check mark boxes next to each tuner, so you can tell that channel to ONLY use tuners 7, 8, and 9. Then take some other channels and make them only use tuners 1-6. Or choose to leave any channel(s) alone and they will use 1-9.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 10:00:31 am »

In one PC I have 4 Hauppage cards in order of worst to best (sensitivity/reception):

Hauppage 950Q
Hauppage 1250 (Older Model)
Hauppage 955Q
Hauppage 1250 (A newer model but not the latest)

So what I do is set the Preferred tuner on the worst 950Q for strong local CDN channels only. (About 1/3 of all my channels)
Then the 1250 (Older) for strong US stations. (About another 1/3)
Then the 955Q for the last 1/3
Then set the preferred tuner to my best 1250 for 2 Weak Stations.

THEN Under Manage Television Devices I put them in order of best to worst.

This has been working great so far.

@TZR916 Is this how you do it? By leveraging both the Preferred Tuner and the Manage Television Devices under Manage devices?
Do all 9 tuners show up in the list or only the 2 physical cards show up?

EDIT: Of course they do...Why wouldn't they...

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 05:27:11 pm »

Allowing multiple tuners to be selected as preferred tuners for a given channel is on my to-do list.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 09:50:11 pm »

Yep. That would make this easier to manage thx Yaobbing.

Can we get comskip timelines first?  I'M fairly sure TZR916 will agree!

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 06:43:51 pm »

Playing around with MC for TV to see if it can replace WMC after we drop cable. Features I see missing right away:

Unless I am missing it, you can't enable/disable channels while watching them, you have to go out to setup to do that. In setup where you can disable channels or mark them as favorites you can't see what is actually on that channel. This means you have to manually make a list of channels you want to take action on while in the guide then go out and change them in setup. In WMC, you can disable channels or add them to favorites lists while watching them. Makes it much easier to curate the lists.

WMC has multiple 'favorites' lists so each family member can have their own.

Kind of reported, but inability to assign preferred tuner order to a channel. With WMC you can specify which tuner to try first, second, third, etc. This is helpful if you have multiple tuners in multiple places to maximize reception strength. You can also exclude specific tuners from even working with a channel.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 07:10:07 pm »

Kind of reported, but inability to assign preferred tuner order to a channel. With WMC you can specify which tuner to try first, second, third, etc. This is helpful if you have multiple tuners in multiple places to maximize reception strength. You can also exclude specific tuners from even working with a channel.

Currently the tuner order preference applies to all channels.  This will change in the future as I mentioned above, when I implement allowing multiple preferred tuners per channel.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 12:14:32 am »

WMC has multiple 'favorites' lists so each family member can have their own.

You can have as many "Favorites" lists as you want in MC. It is just that only the one is set up by default for you. That default Favorite functionality can be used as a guide to setting up your own.

The basis of doing so is that the words "Favorite" and "Hidden" (for hidden channels) are just Keywords stored against the channel record. So in brief, to add more favourite lists and/or TV Guides for favourite channels, do the following.

1. Create a View or Playlist of the channels available. The Rule for file Display to do this is just "File Type" is "tvlb". Make sure you can see the "Keywords" tag in the view or playlist.
2. Add to each channel the additional keywords you want to use to identify a type of favourite. For example, I set one up called "Filtered", with that as the keyword.
3a. For a list of channels belonging to a particular favorite, just set up a view or playlist that selects the channels, as above, but restricted to channels that have your keyword.
3b. To set up a customised TV Guide for your new favorite channels in Theatre View, just copy the existing Favorite TV Guide, but change the "Rules for file display", so that the expression includes your new keyword. i.e., the new expression will be:
Code: [Select]
[=TVInfo(ChannelKeywords)&DataType=[List]]=[YourNewKeyword] Make sure that the List Style for the new view is set to the TV Guide format. Just toggle through the List Styles until the TV Guide format appears.

Done. Repeat as often as you like. The new TV Guide for your favorites will appear in the sub-menu under Guide in Theatre View, if you put them next to the default "favourite" guide. Of course, you can put them anywhere you like in the Theatre View views structure.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 04:07:43 pm »

Currently the tuner order preference applies to all channels.  This will change in the future as I mentioned above, when I implement allowing multiple preferred tuners per channel.

Thanks, sounds like 2 out of 3 are non issues or will be addressed at some point.

The third item is one of the nice usability things in WMC (and there aren't many of those any more). We have lots of foreign/religion/shopping channels here that I really don't even want in my lineup. With WMC I can manage channels being on/off from right in the guide. You can also easily see everything in the guide data for that channel in the same place (a list for just that channel, not the full guide). It makes it easy to see what content that channel carries and then disable it if it is content we have zero interest in watching.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 09:25:48 pm »

I can't remember what turning channels On and Off in WMC actually does. Just prevents it being played?

In MC, channels can be hidden, or not. If they are hidden they don't appear in any Views, including the guide. (Although even that can be changed, if you want to create a view that shows all channels.) So basically, if a channel has been hidden, it must be unhidden using the Manage Channels function, (or a custom view, or by tagging channels).

There are a couple of ways to view what is scheduled on a channel, and hide the channel if required; one in Standard View, and one in Theatre View.

In Standard View, just go to the Television item in the left navigator, select "All Programs" in the small filter box, and one of the channels in the Channel box. You will be shown what is going to be on that channel for the next 24 hours. You can use the Date drop down list to jump forward to the next 24 hours, then the next, etc., so you can see the whole EPG data set for a channel. It would be nice if it would show everything in the EPG when just one channel is selected, so you could see more programs, but that view is limited to 24 hours (except when using the search box in the upper right corner) so that MC displays the data fast, and a user isn't presented with a huge list. Also showing just 24 hours and jumping forward to future dates means that you just about get one page of data for each day, which is easy to view without getting lost in a big list.

If you see a channel you want to hide, it takes five clicks to do so. Click the "TV Options" button down the bottom, click "Manage Channels", click the "Hidden" checkbox for the channel you want to hide, click "Close" then "OK". Not ideal, but not so bad. Of course you could just write down the channels that you want to hide as you go through the list, and hide them all at once. Not really onerous, for something that you will probably only be doing once.

In Theatre View, display the Guide, review the channel EPG. Yes, you need to scroll left and right to see it all. Once you have found a channel that you want to hide, press enter or click on it with your remote or mouse. You will see the menu at the top with "Watch" highlighted. Move right in the menu to "Tag Channel" and select that. Select "Hide", you will get a warning about unhiding. Select "Hide" again. The channel will stay visible in the Guide until you refresh it. If you hide a channel by mistake, and it is still visible, the above process allows you to unhide the channel. Otherwise the channel can only be unhidden using the "Manage Channels" function.

There is probably a third way that would allow you to select a channel, view all of the EPG for it, and hide or unhide the channel on the one page. It would involve setting up a custom view of the EPG data in MC, which is a recent addition to MC capabilities. If you create a view of the EPG, and Group it by channel, you might be able to get a view that works like TV Series and Episodes, showing the channel in the top frame, and EPG details in the bottom frame. You would then Hide and Unhide the channels by adding or removing the keywords.

I haven't tried that third option. There may be some roadblocks, but maybe those could be removed to give you what you want. However, as I mentioned above, hiding and unhiding channels is probably a once off process, or at least rare, so it isn't going to get the attention that a regularly used function does.

Does this help?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 10:14:59 pm »

In WMC, you can scroll left off the guide and select the channel itself. When you do that, it pulls up a list of all of the shows for just that channel. Makes it easy to see what type of shows that channel carries and lets you easily scan through a single channel for a show to record.

To the left of this list there are menu choices to edit the channel and change the sort of the program list.

The edit option allows you to change tuner sources, disable (hide) the channel, rename the channel, and everything else you can do in setup to a channel.

Disabling the channel removes it from the guide, searches, etc. and it takes effect immediately. When you return to the guide the channel no longer appears.

The ability to hide in the guide using the Tag option gives me most of what I was looking for.

algol

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 06:51:15 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something - but for me the BIG feature of SageTV is the excellent Client/Server model it is built on.  On SageTV the single server component, which I run as a service on one computer, does ALL of the recording, tuner and directory management for all the clients.

In my setup I have one MC21 master library on my "server" PC and all my MC21 "clients" connect to that library - however, I can't seem to schedule recordings from the guide on the clients and have the server PC that runs the master library do the recording.  From what I gather each client device has to be running so it can do its own recording.  In my setup my client devices only are only powered when being used.  If I am wrong about this I would appreciate the feedback on how to accomplish this.

I have been running MC21 primarily for music and videos and recently to also view recorded TV content (to get the benefit of HQ Red October) while keeping SageTV going for recordings (HD Homerun Prime and HDPVR using its internal blaster to cable box for CopyOnce stuff) but would love to consolidate down to just MC.

And since this thread references SageTV - I would like to send major kudos to the SageTV team wherever they are today (Google still?)  Beyond the rich TV feature set, (even for today), its architecture and multi-tuner/line-up config options (digital and analog) the fact that it has continued to work through at least 2 major Windows versions with no updates or support is pretty amazing.   Even the guide and plugins (e.g. jetty web services for remote scheduling/management/viewing and comskip recording/playback) have been solid.  Maybe now that it is open source some of its good stuff can find its way to other places.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 07:45:57 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something - but for me the BIG feature of SageTV is the excellent Client/Server model it is built on.  On SageTV the single server component, which I run as a service on one computer, does ALL of the recording, tuner and directory management for all the clients.

The MC Server doesn't run as a Service, but in all other aspects it is the same. Well, the Client/Server model may not be as good, but it is almost functionally the same, using a synchronised library on the Client.

In my setup I have one MC21 master library on my "server" PC and all my MC21 "clients" connect to that library - however, I can't seem to schedule recordings from the guide on the clients and have the server PC that runs the master library do the recording. 

This should be working as you expect. Make sure that you have Media Server set up correctly, including having Authentication turned on with the UserID and Password saved. On the Client make sure you have "Auto sync with server" checked. Then any recordings scheduled on the Client should be synchronised back to the MC Server, and will be recorded on the Server, using tuner(s) attached to the Server.

From what I gather each client device has to be running so it can do its own recording.  In my setup my client devices only are only powered when being used.  If I am wrong about this I would appreciate the feedback on how to accomplish this.

No, that is not correct. You shouldn't do any TV setup on the Clients, and the Client should not have tuners associated with it. All tuners should be associated with the MC Server, using the TV setup on the Server. That includes EPG setup, which should only be done on the Server.

I have been running MC21 primarily for music and videos and recently to also view recorded TV content (to get the benefit of HQ Red October) while keeping SageTV going for recordings (HD Homerun Prime and HDPVR using its internal blaster to cable box for CopyOnce stuff) but would love to consolidate down to just MC.

Note that MC can't handle CopyOnce recordings, so you will still need to handle those separately. MC does support IR Blasters.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 06:47:45 am »

The MC Server doesn't run as a Service, but in all other aspects it is the same. Well, the Client/Server model may not be as good, but it is almost functionally the same, using a synchronised library on the Client.

But this is the point and makes all the difference.  Some unrelated crash in the program will bring down the recording engine causing missed recordings which is unacceptable in a DVR.  There is also no feedback between client and server so it is difficult to tell when something has gone wrong.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

algol

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:05 am »

Thanks for the feedback Roderick, I will try your suggestions.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 02:02:41 pm »

But this is the point and makes all the difference.  Some unrelated crash in the program will bring down the recording engine causing missed recordings which is unacceptable in a DVR.  There is also no feedback between client and server so it is difficult to tell when something has gone wrong.
BAM!!  +1000

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 04:43:07 pm »

But this is the point and makes all the difference.

Yes I understand that. I was clarifying for Algol what MC does and is. I would love to have a separate TV Service, a separate Server Service, and a true Client/Server model, rather than the synchronised model used now.

I used my first Client/Server system in 1988, and I installed, implemented, taught and ran such systems for years. So I know what a real Client/Server system is about.

But functionally the JRiver Client/Server synchronisation is almost the same, with some significant caveats of course.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:33 am »

I just wanted to revive this post to highlight the missing features for TV AND on a positive note :) show how much has been done lately. Thx Yaobing!!

21.0.54 (3/1/2016):   5. Changed: When HD or SD preference is not specified, MC will favor Favorite channels when dealing with subscription TV recordings.  For channels with identical favorite status, the custom channel ordering is used to pick a channel.

0.5 Not sure I understand the need for this one as a user could just select the specific (HD or SD) channel for that subscription...Unless I'm missing something...Only 2 changes for television  :-[ ...I was hoping for a few more...Hopefully in the next version ;).
1. Resolve Sporadic issue where the Hauppage Blaster will stop sending IR commands: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103472.msg720033#msg720033
2. Dedicated Service for TV recording or make TV recordings less susceptible to the GUI hanging or crashing: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103553.msg719554#msg719554, http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103143.msg718240#msg718240
3. Respect Tuner Priority from both the Managed device list and preferred tuner even when tuners are in use ESPECIALLY for recordings. (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102954.msg714775#msg714775)
4. Checkbox to Load Local library by default: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103629.msg720089#msg720089
5. Commercial skip timelines: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96783.msg719627#msg719627
6. Multiple recording folders for TV
7. Ability to go back a few days in theater view guide.
8. For subscriptions please combine "by search rules" and "by time" as it would make it a lot more flexible to adjust subscriptions : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103024.msg715336#msg715336
9. In standard Television view in the drop down for days go up to 21 days (and keep the last 2 days back this is handy)
10. Resolve the Load Program Guide issue : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103516.msg720138#msg720138
11. Clarify or resolve XMLTV profile issues where the full command line is required for it to work properly : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102892.msg720071#msg720071
12. TV Recording log detailing recording failures or recording conflicts.

The 2 Main ones that should have some sort of priority for me are :

0.5 and 8 as per my quote above could be replaced by this request.  Then no more subscription issues they will all have been fixed by other enhancements in MC21 and MC22:
I need the ability to Favor which channel to pick out of 2-3-4-5 channels that may have the same show for that subscription rule.
Main reason is I need to keep my Colossus available for other recordings and favor ATSC as much as possible (more cards + better quality)
5. Commercial skip timelines/markers please. Long time overdue and requested several times by users:
How about something like this?  Ideally a different colour or a lighter green between markers would be nice but just the markers alone would go a long way!!

And number 2 above but I realize this is not an easy one...

MOST IMPORTANTLY...Almost forgot... STABILITY  It's been very good lately and at least as good as SAGETV. Congrats!

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2016, 04:41:34 pm »

7. Ability to go back a few days hours in theater view guide.

This one is also important:  I was looking for a hockey and since it usually goes past schedule I couldn't see it in the guide and had to go in Shows to find it....

That's one amongst other examples why you would want the ability to go back in time in guide view.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 11:06:58 am »

I think you should have started a new thread for "a new feature request".

[start of rant]
It may be found somewhat insulting to JRiver team, when you compare their program to someone else's program while saying it's not as good as XX or the other program can do it why can't you.

IMO, it is more courteous to just ask for the feature you want without saying someone else can do it. [end of rant]

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 02:10:24 pm »

I think you should have started a new thread for "a new feature request".

[start of rant]
It may be found somewhat insulting to JRiver team, when you compare their program to someone else's program while saying it's not as good as XX or the other program can do it why can't you.

IMO, it is more courteous to just ask for the feature you want without saying someone else can do it. [end of rant]

Dully noted!...
I sincerely hope it's not taken the wrong way.  Despite a few features I'm still waiting for there's tons of positive in this post and MC has gone such a long way for TV!!!  Hey...I haven't used Sage in a long long time as MC for TV has become very good and reliable over the last 1-2 years!

Only reason I still use Sage from time to time is to check signal quality on separate capture cards...(Mmm maybe I should add this to my list  ;))

Seriously this is more of a friendly reminder than anything else...Besides I've been told a few times in the past that it's not good practice to double post for the same request:)!!

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 02:12:57 pm »

I just made an edit on the first post about stability. This is not true anymore.  In fact..I bet MC is now as reliable as Sage if not more... And the few limited trials on the open source version weren't looking good....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 02:19:46 pm »

As CountyBumkin said, we're not interested in your opinion of Sage and it isn't relevant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up