INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi Platform Access Library and Music on NAS  (Read 2669 times)

kkmc996

• Recent member
Multi Platform Access Library and Music on NAS
« on: May 25, 2016, 06:14:40 am »

I searched the forum without success on this topic.

I stored all music and the library on a nas. I'd like to access it from Windows and Mac OS. Unfortunately the path  names (filename) stored in the library as a link. Windows and Mac OS are treating this differently. E.g.

/Volumes/kkdata-1/Music/Music/Tom Waits/Heartattack&Vine/01 Heartattack and Vine.mp3
M:\Music\Music\Tom Waits\Heartattack&Vine\01 Heartattack and Vine.mp3

Is there any way in some settings to use it from both systems? It would be important to me to maintain only one library, where all changes (ratings/genre/etc.) will be applied to?

Any other ideas how to achieve that?

THX

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multi Platform Access Library and Music on NAS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:25:23 am »

If you want one library, you should probably use MC's client server model.  Decide upon which machine will be the "server" and use MC normally on that machine.  You'll want to make all metadata changes, file moves, file additions, etc on this machine.

Then on the other machine (the client), add a new library, pointing to the Server machine.  Use the Access Key of the Server machine, when you set up the new library on the Client machine.

Now, the client will see exactly what the Server sees and files will be streamed across the network from Server to Client.

I've done this successfully from Mac to Windows and it worked without any issues, or any special configuration.

Good luck.

Brian.

kkmc996

• Recent member
Re: Multi Platform Access Library and Music on NAS
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:12 am »

Thank you Brian.

I'll try that somewhen next week.

If you want one library, you should probably use MC's client server model.  Decide upon which machine will be the "server" and use MC normally on that machine.  You'll want to make all metadata changes, file moves, file additions, etc on this machine.

Then on the other machine (the client), add a new library, pointing to the Server machine.  Use the Access Key of the Server machine, when you set up the new library on the Client machine.

Now, the client will see exactly what the Server sees and files will be streamed across the network from Server to Client.

I've done this successfully from Mac to Windows and it worked without any issues, or any special configuration.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up