INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting up with a VeraPlus Controller  (Read 3001 times)

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
Getting up with a VeraPlus Controller
« on: May 25, 2016, 12:03:16 pm »

I am not sure how all this works yet so bear with me.

I have a VeraPlus Z-wave controller.  This is a standalone controller/box with its own IP etc. so it is not part of the HTPC I installed Engen on - presumably  this is why I am getting an error in the log.
(btw: when I run Engen I don't get an error message.

Here is my log file:

2016-05-25 09:42:26: main:The zdriver failed to initialize: '('Multiple devices found: %s', ['COM5', 'COM6'])'.  Aborting...
2016-05-25 09:42:26: main:Leaving start_from_service
2016-05-25 09:42:33: main:The zdriver failed to initialize: '('Multiple devices found: %s', ['COM5', 'COM6'])'.  Aborting...
2016-05-25 09:42:33: main:Leaving start_from_service
2016-05-25 09:43:31: main:The zdriver failed to initialize: '('Multiple devices found: %s', ['COM5', 'COM6'])'.  Aborting...
2016-05-25 09:43:31: main:Leaving start_from_service

Also of note when I installed OneRemote on my phone and did a search it did seem to find my controller with the message: "Linux/3.10.14, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.6
http://192.168.2.140:49451/luaupnp.xml"

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Getting up with a VeraPlus Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 12:39:24 pm »

Those are two different problems.

Engen expects to find a Z-Stick in your PC.  Other USB sticks might also work.

Engen plus the Z-Stick running on a PC are the equivalent (in some respects) to the Vera.  I believe they are referred to as Gateways.  People commonly call them hubs.

In the SSDP search, your Vera appears to show up, but OneRemote can only open its Presentation Page if it exists.  You could try clicking on it.  The search should also find any running MC's if they have Media Network on.

Thanks for trying.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:43:39 pm »

ok. Any plans to open up to other standalone controllers, like the Vera family?

I am not a programmer but it seems the Vera is relatively open as there are a bunch independent developers creating plugins and apps to interact/control the zwave devices.  There is even one for JRiver MC.

I know I can probably add a stick as a Zwave secondary controller but that seems like a waste.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:13:32 pm »

I can't say what we'll do in the future, but not at this time.

There are several communities like that, and we decided, for better or worse, to go our own way for now.  Smartthings was another we looked at.  Wink is another.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:28:20 pm »

On the remote side did you ever consider using something like Imperihome?  It is a remote control app (Android and iOS) that supports multiple  apps and controllers.  For example you can bring IP cameras, various Zwave controllers, webpages (like WebGizmo) hue, sonos etc all into the same remote control interface.  It works quite well.  Although I have managed to get my JRiver control into the remote using Eventghost and web calls and WebGizmo it would be fantastic to have some native support for JRiver.  (not to mention possibly preventing a new wheel being re-invented?)  :-)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 03:18:07 pm »

I haven't seen it.

Our goal is to be able to add any device to OneRemote.  The SSDP Search is a first step.  OneRemote can add web pages now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up