INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Larger 'Display'?  (Read 7055 times)

tinpanalley

• Recent member
Larger 'Display'?
« on: May 29, 2016, 05:45:08 pm »

Does anyone know if, on the main screen, one can make the little 'Display' window bigger? Yes, I know I can go to 'Player' and see a nice big artwork image but I'd like to see it bigger while I'm "flipping through" my other columns of albums. Is this doable? It's the only thing I need this program to do to be perfect. I've tried getting foobar to do what I do with columns in JRiver but I just can't get it done even with help from others. So, I'll stick with JRiver but I'd love this one thing taken care of.
Also, if anyone knows how to remove Images, Video, Performer Store, Podcasts, Playlists, etc from the left menu I'd be really interested in learning.
Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Larger 'Display'?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:50:55 pm »

You can right click and choose Detach View.

Or you can drag the vertical divider over.

tinpanalley

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:57:01 pm »

You can right click and choose Detach View.
Or you can drag the vertical divider over.
Detaching separates it from the interface though.
And dragging the vertical divider doesn't enlarge the image. It maintains the same vertical size.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 09:11:59 pm »

Also, if anyone knows how to remove Images, Video, Performer Store, Podcasts, Playlists, etc from the left menu I'd be really interested in learning.

You can turn off lots of stuff you don't want to see, but not all, under "Options>General>Features". Certainly Image, Video, Television, Podcasts, Notes, the Start page, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

You can also view just audio functions by selecting "Audio Only Mode" under the View menu at the top of MC.

Then you can turn of "Performer Store" and other online stores under "Options>Services>Stores Shown in the tree".

I don't know why you would want to turn off Playlists, since it is pretty fundamental to how most people play music. But I don't think you can do that anyway. I don't think you can turn off "Drive & Devices" or "Services & Plug-ins" either.

As to your display issue, could you post a screenshot of the way you have the MC interface set up, so we can see what you are doing, and which image you want to enlarge. I'm not quite understanding the image you are trying to enlarge. I assume it is the display in the Action Window at the bottom left, but Cover Art is only displayed there when a track is playing, and not while "flipping through" the list of tracks. It is easy to see larger Cover Art images as you move through the list of Albums and Tracks, so maybe someone will be able to suggest a layout that suits you better, if you show us how you want it.

It may be as simple as using "Cover View" (Ctrl-5) will meet your needs. Take a look at the attached image showing one layout of Cover View. But do post an image of what you are doing as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tinpanalley

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 02:09:42 am »

You can also view just audio functions by selecting "Audio Only Mode" under the View menu at the top of MC.
Thanks for the tips. I don't have anything called Audio Only Mode in my JRiver. At least not in that menu or anywhere else I can find.

This image shows the display box I'm talking about. Sliding the vertical bar doesn't enlarge THAT image the way one would think. It just increases the white space on either side of the album artwork.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 08:07:13 am »

Thanks for the tips. I don't have anything called Audio Only Mode in my JRiver.

Audio only mode is under:  View > Audio Only Mode

For your idea of larger cover art while browsing, you should explore split views.  View > Split View > Show 2 views .  View > Split View > Columns .

Then, made one of the splits show Playing Now.  Then drag the horizontal divider all the way down so you only see a large album cover in Playing Now.  Now one of your split views shows just an album cover.  You can drag the vertical divider between the split windows to change the size of the playing now and thus the size of the cover.

In the other split view, choose your view you like for browsing (Albums, Artists, Panes, etc).  Now you've got mostly what you want.  If you don't want to see the tree on the left, hide it with the disclosure triangles.  You can also shrink it with the vertical divider.

See attached screenshot for an example.

Brian.

tinpanalley

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:55:09 am »

Audio only mode is under:  View > Audio Only Mode
I'm on version 20, I don't see it.
For your idea of larger cover art while browsing, you should explore split views.  View > Split View > Show 2 views .  View > Split View > Columns .
Then, made one of the splits show Playing Now.  Then drag the horizontal divider all the way down so you only see a large album cover in Playing Now.  Now one of your split views shows just an album cover.  You can drag the vertical divider between the split windows to change the size of the playing now and thus the size of the cover.
Brian.
Brian!! That's brilliant!! That's exactly it! Now I can have a nice big artwork section (with the album's tracks below it..don't remember how I did that but I've had it that way for a while on the separate Playing Now tab) and at the same time be flipping through other things without ever losing that artwork. Do you happen to also know ho to do it so that when I select one song only from an album, it ONLY plays that song and doesn't continue that album after the song is over?

Thank you so much. It's amazing but that tiny little difference in the UI makes the whole experience better for me. I got the artwork part easily on Foobar but I've had so many people try to show me how to do the columns I want for the artist - path - main artist folders - albums columns I get with JRiver and nobody seems to be able to show me a solution that works. So I thought I'd try getting my artwork the way I want it here instead.
THANK YOU!!

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 11:09:45 am »

I'm on version 20, I don't see it.

Hmm, that's strange.  I see audio only mode as the 5th item on the top level View menu.  This is on MC21 and MC20.

Do you happen to also know ho to do it so that when I select one song only from an album, it ONLY plays that song and doesn't continue that album after the song is over?

The option you want is under:

Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Double Click > (choose your selection)

By default it's set to Replace Playing Now (all).  Because of the way I personally use MC, I have it set to Add To Playing Now (play now).  This allows me to play a single track any time I want, and it just inserts it into Playing Now and plays it.  But the rest of my Playing Now queue is untouched.  There are several other options there that you might want to use depending on how you want it to behave.

Thank you so much. It's amazing but that tiny little difference in the UI makes the whole experience better for me.

It's nice when one of my suggestions can help someone out.   :)  Glad it's working for you.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 05:12:59 pm »

Well done Brian.  8)

MC is so flexible. Using Playing Now in split views is a great solution.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tinpanalley

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 09:30:03 am »

It's nice when one of my suggestions can help someone out.   :)  Glad it's working for you.
Brian.
Only thing is that every time I launch the program, the left split (the one I use for Playing Now) is back into 'My Library' view. Any way to lock it to Playing Now?

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 10:42:06 am »

^ Two things:

1.  You can set each pane/tab to start back where they were when you quit the program.  I just tested this with the splits from the screen shot I posted and it worked as expected.  The option is:

Tools > Options > Startup > Startup Interface > Location > Last Location

2.  You can save your split views and tabs as presets.  View > Load/Save View > Save...  Then you can load up that set of splits and/or tabs any time you want with View > Load / Save View > Load > (choose preset here) .

NOTE:  In MC20 the load/save view functionality wasn't complete.  I think that once you save a view set, you can't delete it without doing some manual stuff in the registry or an ini file.  Not 100% sure on this one as I haven't used MC20 in about a year now.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up