INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Store Brightness setting for each video  (Read 3329 times)

Theologian

Store Brightness setting for each video
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:20:35 am »

Hi I'm a new convert to MC21 from Kodi. What pushes me over is MC's commitment to the best video quality in Windows OS.
As a Newbie, I'm having trouble doing some simple stuff: I used the OSD (up down left and right arrows while a video is playing) to change brightness during a mkv playback, but the change I made to brightness affects all of my films. Is there anyway I can change and store the video brightness setting for just one individual video? I need to do this, because some movies (very rare) on blu ray are encoded for a different black level.

I'm using Windows 7 with an AMD graphic card and I'm using Red October HQ.

Thank you so much for your help!

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Store Brightness setting for each video
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 01:03:24 pm »

"Brightness" in ROHQ is more of a gamma control than a black level control.
If you bring up the madVR preferences via the DirectShow Filters menu, you can assign keyboard shortcuts to adjust the black level and white level controls directly.
You can then use filename tags by adding [blacklevel=] and [whitelevel=] to the filename.

Theologian

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »

Thank you for your help, but I was hoping for a more "automated" feature. According to Matt here, the feature exists:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82006.msg565047#msg565047

That's been there for several versions.

Use the OSD (up, down, left, right) while playing a video.

But I can't seem to get it to work. The brightness setting stores value globally. Does it change video brightness globally for you?

RD James

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 05:32:12 pm »

Yes, it changes brightness globally for me.
I'm guessing that it might store it in the file if you're using Red October Standard.
I would not want JRiver changing madVR's brightness settings like that.

Again: it's the black and white level settings that you need to be changing to correct for this. Not brightness.
In madVR "brightness" is a gamma control.

Theologian

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 07:13:21 pm »

Okay, so if I use Madvr's settings, then white level = contrast and black level = brightness in the OSD right?
What about the syntax for the tag? [Black level="shortcut key"]?
I apologize for my ignorance. There's a learning curve and I just don't have a lot of time to dig everything. Thank you for helping.

RD James

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 08:34:27 pm »

No, brightness and contrast are different controls from black level and white level.
Black level and white level are what you use to correct an improperly mastered disc.

1. You need to assign keyboard shortcuts in the madVR settings to adjust these:

Use whatever keys you prefer.

2. Play a video which has the wrong levels:

3. Find out the correct levels for your video by using the shortcuts you set before:

4. Rename the file using that information. In this example the file is now "Movie Name [blacklevel=-21].mkv"

Brightness is the wrong control for this in madVR. Even setting it to the lowest value can't make the background black, and makes the image dull.
It's a more manual process than I'd like, but it's so rare that I need to make these changes on a permanent basis that I haven't found it to be much of a problem.

Theologian

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 09:00:05 pm »

Wow. Awesome. Thank you for going the extra mile!
Pages: [1]   Go Up