INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

POLL: How many remotes (not counting phone/mouse/keyboard) do you use when listening or watching?

Just One
Two
Three
Four
Five or More

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many Remotes Do You Usually Use  (Read 13801 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
How Many Remotes Do You Usually Use
« on: June 04, 2016, 06:05:19 pm »

I have two remotes that I routinely use.

A multifunction Sony universal remote that cost about $20 5 years ago.  Edit -- it's about $15 now at Amazon.
A Media Center remote.

If I want to watch a movie, I use the Sony remote to turn on the receiver and TV.  I use the MC remote to wake up the PC and control MC.

If I want to listen to music I do the same, but usually turn the TV off.

I just bought a new 4K TV and 4K BD player.  They came with two new remotes, but I was able to get the Sony universal remote to control them.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: How Many Remotes Do You Usually Use
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:11:49 pm »

Logitech Harmonys here.  They work well till you need to get out a keyboard for some tasks on the HTPC.
JRiver CEO Elect

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 06:20:19 pm »

For playback, once everything's on, I use a media center remote or gizmo.  I have my amps, computer, and TV on a remote controllable power switch, with everything set to autostart when connected to mains power.  When I want to turn everything on, I press a large white button that communicates to the strip via RF (high WAF, as everything is very easy to turn on).  So that's a remote of sorts. 

Eventually I'll get a "smart strip" (like one of the z-wave ones) and do some more serious automation, but the family's a fan of the "big white button" in the meanwhile.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 08:28:55 pm »

I use a Harmony Elite now which replaced five different remotes - though only three of those were specifically for the AV setup, two were for other devices in the room. (fan & lights)
I never really thought that I needed one until I received it as a gift last Xmas and now I'd hate to go back to juggling remotes.
I had previously tried a few other universal remotes and always ended up returning to the original device remotes.
The thing which separates it from the old style of universal remote is the activities and sequences and the depth you have in programming them.
I've automated quite a lot of multi-stage things that I had previously been doing manually without giving it a second thought.
It's nice to just press a button and have it fire off a string of 10-15 commands, including delays to account for things like menus loading, to all your devices without having to think about it.

The only issue I've had with the Harmony is that sometimes I have to trick the software into doing what I want.
My DAC goes to a "light sleep" state (12W) with one press of the power button and a "deep sleep" (<0.5W) with two.
The Harmony software likes to be smart and automatically assigns power on/off functions to an activity, and doesn't let you set them yourself.
So I had to use the learning function to create a second "power off" command that it just thought was a regular button on the remote, and tell it to also send that command when switching off the device for example.

Something that I would find useful in my other rooms however would be if JRiver could automatically do something like this when I play to a certain zone:
1. Switch on a power strip
2. Send IR commands to switch on the stereo and select the correct input
3. Wait X amount of seconds for the wireless receiver to connect
4. Start playing music
5. Switch off those devices in reverse after that zone has been idle for X number of minutes, or if JRiver is closed

But I don't know if the cost of implementing that is worth the effort vs just walking over to the power strip, hitting a switch, and waiting 60 seconds.

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 09:12:40 pm »

TV remote to turn it on and switch input to computer, then DAC remote to control volume. When listening to audio I would need zero remotes according to this poll, as I control it all with my phone or computer (although sometimes I use the DAC's remote for volume because the volume slider in JRemote is a bit clumsy).

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 09:28:59 pm »

I use a URC (Universal Remote Control) Home Theater Master remote, which I program. Controls all the audio and video, plus the lights. Still do the curtains by hand. Gizmo or TRemote to control MC. My pre-amp has a manual switch to go between home theater by-pass through and stereo, so I do have to get up and flip a switch for that.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »

Logitech Harmonys here.  They work well till you need to get out a keyboard for some tasks on the HTPC.
One Harmony here too (thanks to glynor for the recommendation). It's just brilliant. WAF is top drawer too, no issues whatsoever.

If I need a mouse/keyboard, I have a Di Novo Mini which is also smashing.

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:41:12 pm »

I use a SoundGraph remote for the computer, and a Universal (brand) universal remote for everything else.  I'd like to use one remote for everything, but I've never found a universal that could be programmed with the SoundGraph's IR codes, plus, its joystick-style mouse/keyboard emulator is quite unique and really can't be replicated on anything else, even if you could find something that could learn the codes.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 11:07:28 pm »

My harmony one still serves me well, until I need keyboard / mouse.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 12:16:08 am »

2 Main devices
I use my iPad with iRule. It's set up to control lighting and turning on my sub and buttkicker with X10 commands via an http server (X10 Commander) running on my HTPC. It also uses IR via an iTach unit to turn on my TV and get it to the correct input. Finally, it turns on my receiver and adjusts its input via network commands. All this with one button. Once MC is running, I can also control Theater View from it, but I normally use a Logitech backlit k830 keyboard with integrated trackpad to control MC in standard view.
The cool thing about iRule is that I have "remotes" for both my home theatres plus my dining room music system, and anything else I care to integrate given a protocol.

I keep the Onkyo AVR and Samsung TV remote handy just in case, but usually I don't need them.

I hope that JRiver's endeavours in this field will integrate X10, or at least http commands for my X10 home automation.

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 01:58:10 am »

As you exclude phones, I don't use any! I have got a Harmony One which I've been intending to program for years, but the desire to have hard buttons isn't strong enough to overcome the distaste for the horrible Harmony programming system.

To control equipment I use HSTouch on a phone (or tablet) and Homeseer talks to the equipment using RS232 and a Keene IR over IP module. I generally use Eos on a tablet to control JRiver.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 03:17:37 am »

I've kept my old Logitech 1100i and coupled it with a Harmony Keyboard. The 3rd remote is the smart phone with the Harmony app, JRemote and as a reserve - Gizmo.

The regulation units are great for when we're in front of the telly. The smart phone comes in handy when I'm a room away and couldn't be motivated to take a walk.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Manfred

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 08:20:25 am »

I have:

TV: Sony remote
MC: JRemote + Logitech Keyboard
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 09:21:08 am »

As you exclude phones, I don't use any!

I couldn't find this assertion anywhere. And then finally noticed that the thread is a poll, and that it states no mouse, keyboard or phone.
I guess that would include tablets too, and therefore my whole post is disqualified!

Jim, maybe you could repeat the conditions in your first post of the topic? My eyes tend to go straight to the first post, unless there's (Poll) in the thread title, and maybe others would miss this too.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 11:20:11 am »

No remote.

I use a Logitech G600 mouse with 22 programmable buttons (including the scroll wheel).

12 buttons of the left side that can be switched to 36 total (not counting the scroll wheel & top buttons).

That provides a total of 66 possible programmable choices. That's more than enough for my needs.

I have several actual remotes including a Harmony One but don't use any of them as my hand is usually already on the G600 so for my needs using the mouse is quicker & easier to use.

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 11:25:43 am »

I only use one remote. A Logitech Harmony Touch that controls everything from powering on and off all equipment, setting all inputs and adjusting volume. I have used Logitech for years and I love them.

tls62dk

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 06:34:27 pm »

I currently have a Logitech Harmony One remote at each of our multi-equipment locations. It does 99% of what I need and if I ever need to grab for a second remote for any reason that would come up in normal use, I update the programming to include that function.

I do usually go back to the actual device remotes for massive system setup changes, but those are not 'normal use' things.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 06:37:25 pm »

In the living room I use a Harmony Ultimate controlling:
Sony Tv
HTPC (MC)
Denon AVR
Sony Bluray
Amazon FireTv

and the GF using a Philips learning universal for:
Sony Tv
HTPC (MC)
Denon AVR
TFC Streaming box

In 3 other rooms, using the same model Philips learning universals for Tv's and MC Client PC's. Sticking with same model Philips keeps the confusion factor down for the non-technical minded users.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 07:28:17 pm »

Harmony remote plus an occasional use of bluetooth keyboard for administrative work.

jachin99

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 08:43:43 pm »

I use 1 dell branded gyration remote but every now and then i have to pickup actual device remotes.  MC helped me out a lot in that aspect but it still isnt perfect.  The best thing about the gyration remote is that i dont have to switch between devices I. E. TV, stereo etc. On the remote to control them all and its RF so it works through walls

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 09:04:51 pm »

As with many others, one Harmony Remote (880) and a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard as required for maintenance functions.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 01:52:15 am »

Up to fours remotes in my living-room:
Amplifier
Radio
Bluray player
Projector

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 03:10:55 am »

The poll says not counting my phone so that's  ZERO which isn't an option.

All my things are IP (network) controlled. I can not imagine going back to Infared which it retrospect seems a bit like smoke signals.

Roomie Remote, now branded Simple Control, does everything except it doesn't show my library directly. In other words, it doesn't have a media guide the way it would with Kodi. I've tried to interest Roomie in JRiver but so far ... nothing happening. I have basic control of JRiver through Roomie using MCE Controller. When I want to see my library for instant media selection I have to open JRemote.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 05:19:57 am »

On my third Harmony (the buttons go after a few years use).
Cannot imagine life without it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 05:40:40 am »

I'm on a single harmony as well. Although I might get a new one soon, this one is slowly giving out.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 05:41:40 am »

Looks like Harmony rules the Lounge Room for many of us...
JRiver CEO Elect

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 06:38:36 am »

Which Harmony models do you recommend?
More than 100 euros would be clearly too expensive for me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 06:49:29 am »

I had several Harmony remotes when they first came out and they were not very satisfactory.  I'm surprised to see so much acceptance now.  They were painful to set up.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 07:01:49 am »

I typed up my response three times over the weekend. Sigh... Internets not working good.

I use only one. A Logitech Harmony Smart Control, like Marko. The simple one.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RD James

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 07:20:14 am »

I had several Harmony remotes when they first came out and they were not very satisfactory.  I'm surprised to see so much acceptance now.  They were painful to set up.
I can't say if the process is better now since I'm a new adopter, but once programmed you never have to touch their software again, unless you're adding a new device.
I think that having the touchscreen on the Elite helps, as it tells you what the remote is doing and gives you access to the full list of commands for each device should you ever need that, even if you don't have them all assigned to physical buttons.
I can't think of the last time that I used direct device control though.

I actually only use a single activity on my remote 99% of the time, now that I've got it programmed right.
Activating it sets up all my devices (power on, select the inputs etc.) and then I have commands assigned to the physical buttons spread across all of the devices, covering the necessary commands.
I was actually mistaken in counting the number of remotes it replaced, forgot that some of these devices even had remotes because I bought them after the Harmony.

Attached is an image detailing the activity that I use most of the time.
Edit: the mute button is also direct DAC control, not a Media Center command.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2016, 07:46:08 am »

I had several Harmony remotes when they first came out and they were not very satisfactory.  I'm surprised to see so much acceptance now.  They were painful to set up.
Interesting, I think the Harmony is a lot like JRiver in that respect. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort to set it up the way you want to use it. But the results when you do are well worth it.

LeoB

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 08:17:48 am »

I have two remotes that I routinely use.

A multifunction Sony universal remote that cost about $20 5 years ago.  Edit -- it's about $15 now at Amazon.
A Media Center remote.

If I want to watch a movie, I use the Sony remote to turn on the receiver and TV.  I use the MC remote to wake up the PC and control MC.

If I want to listen to music I do the same, but usually turn the TV off.

I just bought a new 4K TV and 4K BD player.  They came with two new remotes, but I was able to get the Sony universal remote to control them.

I use the same remote, but it wakes up my PC and controls MC as well. I programmed this remote with an IR-keyboard.

FelixM

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 11:55:14 am »

I use only one Logitech Harmony 555 remote to control my simple system : TV, Receiver and HTPC (via a FLIRC IR receiver).

Very happy with it: the activities concept and the possibility to define macros.

I like hard buttons to control the components without needing to watch the remote, so I don't use the phone apps or the Logitech Harmony Remotes with touch screens.
MC22, Win7, Intel 4570T, Intel HD4600, Asus H87i-Plus, 2x4GB, SSD Samsung 840Evo 1TB, PicoPSU, Fanless Streacom FC5 Evo, Denon AVR-2106, Infinity Beta 40 & C360, Panasonic TX-L39E6, Logitech Harmony 555 & IR Flirc

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 02:20:55 pm »

One remote, a URC-W7, which is what I would consider the JRiver MC of remotes e.g. utilitarian and full-featured.

Ideally I'd like to have a USB IR blaster for my HTPC to control my 'dumb' components and an android-based app for remote control.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 02:39:29 pm »

I can't think of the last time that I used direct device control though.

I use direct device control if I start playing spotify on the HTPC then I want to walk away, or I'm playing music then transition to controlling via Gizmo - direct device control lets me turn the TV off while leaving the computer on. I could create a new activity, but meh...

RD James

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 03:59:10 pm »

I use direct device control if I start playing spotify on the HTPC then I want to walk away, or I'm playing music then transition to controlling via Gizmo - direct device control lets me turn the TV off while leaving the computer on. I could create a new activity, but meh...
Well you could just assign a button to the TV power control, or add it to the list of available commands/sequences on the touchscreen when that activity is active - this is why I like the touchscreen for less-frequently used commands.
I was very much in the "I want physical buttons" camp, but the selection of buttons on the Elite combined with the touchscreen for additional commands works really well.
It prevents there being too many buttons, making remote difficult for other people to use, and gives you more control opportunities than additional buttons would.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 04:16:45 pm »

Well you could just assign a button to the TV power control, or add it to the list of available commands/sequences on the touchscreen when that activity is active - this is why I like the touchscreen for less-frequently used commands.
I was very much in the "I want physical buttons" camp, but the selection of buttons on the Elite combined with the touchscreen for additional commands works really well.
It prevents there being too many buttons, making remote difficult for other people to use, and gives you more control opportunities than additional buttons would.

Yep, agreed. I love the combination of physical buttons and touch screen.

For the number of times I do use it though, I'm happy to go into device control.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 04:49:50 pm »

I was lucky to get enough Harmony Ones for the whole house at a time our local Costco was clearing them at $50  ;D
As others mentioned, ideal mix of real buttons and touchscreen.

Since we have a (JRiver) HTPC for every TV in the house, we use a single Harmony One and a Logitech K400 or K830 on each TV/PJ location.  Most of the time we do not even power up the keyboard...

Inquisition

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 07:20:05 pm »

I use three remotes.

I use for the normal use to watch tv the remote of my Cablebox. These remote controls with CEC my tv and the volume of my av reciever.

Then i have the remote of my av reciever wich let me control the basic functions of my av equipment.

The thrird remote is an homeautomation system called mediola. With an galaxy tab 2 10"  i can control everything, av equipment every function, also very rare functions, and i can control the lights in the house, powersockets, heaters and so on.
My English is not perfect, so be merciful with me
Pages: [1]   Go Up