INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Still Crashing (Solved)  (Read 2697 times)

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
MC Still Crashing (Solved)
« on: May 22, 2016, 02:21:57 am »

Hi, I requested help last July in the MC20 forum regarding my MC server system crashing continually. Here is a link to that thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98992.msg686087#msg686087 and here is my original post quoted.

Hi, I have been having an issue with MC crashing for quite a while now and I have been through the troubleshooting guide on the wiki and followed the recommendations but still haven't got to the bottom of it.

The system in question is acting as an MC server and is on all the time but is not used to actually watch or listen to media itself. The media is accessed by the clients around the house. So what actually happens is that I get the window appear saying "MC20 has stopped responding". this can happen when the system is just sitting idle with no media being accessed.

The server is running Windows 7 64bit and the OS, MC and the library are on an SSD. The media files are all stored on 5 HDD's configured as a storage pool using FlexRAID.

I have re-installed the system from scratch but the crashing persisted and I have completely removed the Internet Security software which I thought initially had improved the crashing but, alas, I think it was only wishful thinking because the crashing is still present.
I have run MemTest86 extensively to test the memory but this always passes without any errors.

Here is a link to the latest error reporting log (I think it is too big to attach directly to this post).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx9vpjrhsfv0a3v/JRiver%20Log%202015-07-25%2011-04-33.zip?dl=0

It is obviously something in my system causing the problem but I don't know how to proceed.

If anyone can shed any light on what could be causing the crashes from the log files I would be very grateful.

Thanks

However, I think in the end it got overlooked and I never received any feedback regarding the logs provided. So now I am on MC21 and still getting the frequent crashes and am once again asking if someone could look at my logs and see if there are any pointers there as to why I'm experiencing the crashes. As stated in my original post (quoted above) I have followed all the advice in the wiki regarding this but to no avail.

The only change to the system since the MC20 post is that I have replaced my SATA storage controller from a Silicon Image SIL3124 based one to a Marvel chipset based one. This made no difference though.

Here is a link to the latest error reporting log (the one in the original post is still active as well).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/92v4vyhynf6ic9u/JRiver%20Log%202016-05-21%2007-54-50.zip?dl=0

As I stated in my original post I know this is something in my system causing the crashes but I just don't know where to go from here and am hoping that the logs provide some clues.

Many thanks

Russell

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Still Crashing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 02:32:38 am »

Hi, I requested help last July in the MC20 forum regarding my MC server system crashing continually. Here is a link to that thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98992.msg686087#msg686087 and here is my original post quoted.

However, I think in the end it got overlooked and I never received any feedback regarding the logs provided. So now I am on MC21 and still getting the frequent crashes and am once again asking if someone could look at my logs and see if there are any pointers there as to why I'm experiencing the crashes. As stated in my original post (quoted above) I have followed all the advice in the wiki regarding this but to no avail.

The only change to the system since the MC20 post is that I have replaced my SATA storage controller from a Silicon Image SIL3124 based one to a Marvel chipset based one. This made no difference though.

Here is a link to the latest error reporting log (the one in the original post is still active as well).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/92v4vyhynf6ic9u/JRiver%20Log%202016-05-21%2007-54-50.zip?dl=0

As I stated in my original post I know this is something in my system causing the crashes but I just don't know where to go from here and am hoping that the logs provide some clues.

Many thanks

Russell

Are you using madvr?

Up to a week ago I was using the latest version of madvr from their own website, I was crashing 80% of the time with a button press.
I rolled it back to where it was and immediately the crashes stopped.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:16:17 am »

NO, not using MadVR. The server itself is not used for any media playback at all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 06:55:11 am »

The "Weird Problems" link in my signature might give you some ideas.

Make sure you're on the latest build from the forum.

If we need a log, we'll ask.  We can't look at logs for every problem reported.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC Still Crashing (Solved)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 02:21:12 am »

Hi again,

Well, after about 18 months of constant crashes, reinstalls, more crashes etc, etc, I think my problem is finally sorted. However, I still don't know what the cause was.

The MC server was running Windows 7 Professional and was kept up to date with all the latest Windows updates and MC releases. Over the period of the problem I have reinstalled Windows and MC multiple times, changed various components, checked memory etc all to no avail. Anyway, seeing as the expiry date of the free Windows 10 upgrade was drawing near I decided to do the upgrade if only to get the machine registered and then revert back to Windows 7 if needed.
The Windows 10 upgrade went smoothly and since then I haven't had a single crash and the upgrade was done 6 days ago whereas before it would crash multiple times a day.

So I still have no idea why it was crashing all the time but I am overjoyed that it appears to be sorted now. I'm still working through a few annoying things about Windows 10 but nothing too problematic.

Fingers crossed this is now permanently fixed.

Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up