INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do I only show 1/4 of Theater View background picture when I start MC?  (Read 9146 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

Weird: I was linking this thread from my Jan 2016 post to the OP's post made today on this subject. I don't know how my post jumped to the top (unless OP deleted his post after my reply)

Post from Jan 2016
When I turn on my TV, the MC Theater View background is only displayed in 1/4 of the screen, but the MC text is full screen.
Does this happen to anyone else?

It does not do this on my other TV (both are Samsung 1080p sets) and the settings in MC are the same (no screensaver, no fade out). I do not turn off MC or let the computers sleep. I just turn off the TV when not used (leaving MC/computer running).

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen

i have this occasionally when resuming from sleep. i think its a GPU driver issue as on my intel system it doesn't do this only on Nvidia.

The one thing i did do a while ago is right clicked on jriver.exe and went into properties tab / compatibilty/ disable scaling (checked)  this seemed to fix it for my nvidia machine.

CountryBumkin

I'll try that tip now. Thanks.
BTW - this computer has an NVidia card.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I'll try that tip now. Thanks.
BTW - this computer has an NVidia card.
Is it also Win10?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen

my pc is win 10 im sure it didn't happen on Win 7

CountryBumkin

Vocalpoint

It does not do this on my other TV (both are Samsung 1080p sets) and the settings in MC are the same (no screensaver, no fade out). I do not turn off MC or let the computers sleep. I just turn off the TV when not used (leaving MC/computer running).

This happens to me about 4 times a week. Same deal - I power down everything except the HTPC. MC is in Theater Mode an runs round the clock. ASUS board using Intel HD 4000 graphics.

Windows 7 Pro x64 on this box.

VP

CountryBumkin

I tried the tip Daveyravey provided, and I did not see the 1/4 image issue yesterday when I turned on the TV.

Vocalpoint

I tried the tip Daveyravey provided, and I did not see the 1/4 image issue yesterday when I turned on the TV.

That's the strange thing here too. I do not see it all the time. One day - MC appears in screen just fine - the next day - I get that 1/4 view. Same powerup sequence, no changes to anything - since 2013 and our  HTPC is always on and always in Theater Mode.

Will give this a try. Kind of a bizarre and obscure tip tho.

VP

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen

defo works ... quite why it should i dont know  ;D

Ashfall

• World Citizen
Re: Why do I only show 1/4 of Theater View background picture when I start MC?
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 01:48:06 pm »

I get this every time unless I turn on the TV first.  Running Windows 8.1 with Intel Core i3 HD Graphics 4600 to a Panasonic plasma.  I think Windows is using a default low resolution if it doesn't detect a connected display.  Then when the display is detected and the desktop resizes, the JRiver screen is not refreshed properly.

I tried Daveyravey's tip and it didn't help, but I'm using Intel graphics instead of Nvidia.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 02:14:23 pm »

Why would the "Text" be full screen (fills entire screen) and the "Background picture" 1/4 screen?
I was wondering if MC background picture was smaller (less than 1080x1920) and needed to be stretched to fill screen - whereas the stretching wasn't happening.
But since Davey's tip seems to be working, I haven't looked at this issue anymore.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 02:34:26 pm »

This could be some weird hmdi handshake issue. It may depend when your TV is turned on in sequence. I have found that if I programme my Logitech remote to turn on TV , Av amp then pc it seems to stop any hemi issues with windows

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 03:45:55 pm »

In my case, this a bedroom TV setup with just the computer (running only MC21) connected to the TV by HDMI. The computer never shuts off or sleeps, I just turn the TV off when not used. However the computer probably knows when the display (TV) is turned off, but I don't know if this causes computer to do anything.
Regarding hand-shaking issue, since the computer is always On, it would be as if the TV is turned on after the computer is started.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 03:56:31 pm »

This could be some weird hmdi handshake issue. It may depend when your TV is turned on in sequence.

Agreed.

But every document or suggestion I could find on HDMI - says to fire up the display last in the sequence for a correct handshake.

Sources first followed by where they are going to be displayed - in that order.

I have never tried any other way.

Still does not explain why just the MC background picture is all messed up while the text is not. It's not the like handshake is saying "I am going to leave text elements alone and just display graphics a quarter of their size"....it should mess up the entire Theater View display.

VP

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 02:42:20 am »

I would expect the background in MC is written using 2D display methods, while the menus may not be. In fact I'm pretty sure Jim has said uses Direct3D to draw interface elements. Not positive though. Anyway, images would always be drawn using 2D methods, I think.

Hence, the two elements behave differently, and the 2D background isn't scaled properly, while the 3D interface elements are.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Vocalpoint

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 06:54:29 am »

Hence, the two elements behave differently, and the 2D background isn't scaled properly, while the 3D interface elements are.

Regardless - seems we have an issue here if the scaling suddenly goes crazy if Windows detects there is no active display at a particular minute. Why can't MC just sit there doing nothing and be "ready" when the TV comes back on?

VP

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 03:41:29 pm »

Yep, I was just trying to explain the difference, not defending JRiver regarding the issue.   8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 06:12:56 pm »

Unfortunately Davey's tip didn't work. The 1/4 image issue/glitch on start up is still happening.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team

*BUMP*

I'm also seeing this issue.  I just started rebooting my Media PC overnight when the TV is off. 

jachin99

I'm having the same problem on an AMD aftermarket graphics card

Ashfall

• World Citizen

This was happening to me every time for 2 years (Intel HD 4600 graphics), and then it stopped about a month ago and hasn't happened since.  The only change made around that time is I installed an AMD R7-240 to try out, and then removed a few days later.  Maybe the AMD drivers changed the default headless resolution or something.

jachin99

Correction to my earlier post, Mine doesn't downsize the image, it just cuts off the right 1/3rd of the background picture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up