INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Without media server ... ?  (Read 2713 times)

Skillsadam

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Without media server ... ?
« on: August 10, 2003, 10:58:55 am »

So I've finally accomplished my holy grail and I've completed my media computer and I'm using hairstyle to run the whole show but now I'm in a pickle.....

I've got more than 8,000 mp3's on my music server but I don't want to run media server on it (it's an old machine and it's at its wit's end just trying to server files). So what's the best method to keep my library on the media machine synched with the rest of my library?

I'm using 802.11b so I'm leery to import my entire collection over wireless, but can I copy my library from my server and put it on my media machine? Will MC be able to track down the files across the network or will it bork when it tries to find them locally and can't find them?

Just to clarify... my media machine doesn't have ANY mp3's on it, so I'm looking for the best way to serve files to it and keep the library in synch without having to run a file import on it whenever I add new stuff....

thanks

adam

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Without media server ... ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 11:10:08 am »

So I've finally accomplished my holy grail

neet, neet
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sraymond

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 01:06:56 pm »

Just to clarify... my media machine doesn't have ANY mp3's on it, so I'm looking for the best way to serve files to it and keep the library in synch without having to run a file import on it whenever I add new stuff....

I was in a similar situation...  my HTPC was connected to a file server via 802.11b (and I was getting about 8 Mpbs data throughput).  At first I was sharing the same library file ('cause I didn't want to have to keep two libraries synchronized).  The only requirement was to put UNC paths in all the filenames (i.e. \\workstation1\d$\Music instead of D:\Music).  I could have just mapped a drive on the HTPC, but I had some media on the C: drive, and there's no getting around that!

This setup worked OK for a while, but for some reason, I was getting poor performance with browsing videos - the icons took a long time to generate and I would get occasional crashes.  I tried using Media Server, but I found that it didn't want to actually stream the video - and it takes quite a bit to download an entire 600 MB file at 8 Mbps (best case) or less than 1 Mbps (worst case).

So...  I broke down and ran a Cat5 cable to my HTPC and haven't had any trouble since...  though I stopped "sharing" the same library.  MC isn't made to allow mutliple access to the library file and I was having occasional glitches in the database (nothing serious).  So I'm not just doing an export of the main library file and importing it into the HTPC library file.  I do it about once a week, which isn't too much of a hassle.

Well then, I guess I'm saying that I'd recommend against sharing the same library file and instead, export/import (or just copy the actual library file itself - which could probably be done with a scheduled OS event).  Media Server is an attractive solution, if the performance meets your needs.  Have you tried it?

Scott-

Skillsadam

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 01:54:29 pm »

The only requirement was to put UNC paths in all the filenames (i.e. \\workstation1\d$\Music instead of D:\Music).

Is that straightforward? Or do you have to do it file by file? I haven't tinkered deeply into the library yet because I'm still importing my files and downloading cover art.....

This setup worked OK for a while, but for some reason, I was getting poor performance with browsing videos - the icons took a long time to generate and I would get occasional crashes.

I've actually had great luck streaming video, it just takes a while (10-20 seconds) to spool up enough before it starts playing.

Media Server is an attractive solution, if the performance meets your needs.  Have you tried it?

My server is really struggling just to run Media Center.... is the server a significantly lower drain on resources? I just figured it sucked up an equal amount of resources..... But I'll tinker with it tomorrow and see how well it works for me....

thanks!

adam

sraymond

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 05:32:24 pm »

To change the filename to include the UNC path, just do a find (i.e. "C:\") and replace (i.e. "\\workstation1\c$\" on the filename for all the media.  "Find and Replace" is found in the Library Tools menu.

The only confusion this has caused me is when importing new files, I need to make sure the search directory uses the UNC path - else it will reimport all the files that are already in MC.

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 05:33:29 pm »

I've actually had great luck streaming video, it just takes a while (10-20 seconds) to spool up enough before it starts playing.

Maybe I should try again...  but my current setup is working pretty well.  It would be perfect if I can set up a scheduled OS event that automatically copies the library file.

Scott-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 06:09:46 pm »

Media Server doesn't take too much of a machine to work well.  Trying it is the best advice.

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 07:09:08 pm »

So what's the best method to keep my library on the media machine synched with the rest of my library?

Rereading your post, I wonder this:  If all you have is a "music machine" (meaning that it's just a fileserver for media), why not just leave it alone?  It sounds like you only need to have the library on your "media machine", in which case, you can either use UNC paths (\\musicmachine\c$\music) or a mapped drive (i.e. M:\ mapped to \\musicmachine\c$\music).  Perhaps the mapped drive would be a bit cleaner...

Scott-

Skillsadam

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 07:45:49 pm »

It's also my toy/tinker/testbed/office mp3 computer so I'd need to keep at least 2 libraries (media machine and server) current. I think I'll toy with media server and see how this machine reacts to it ....

adam

sraymond

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 08:25:17 pm »

How much of the video (sizewise) is downloaded before it starts playing?

I'm trying to get wireless working in my son's bedroom, but it still is downloading the entire file before it starts playing.  100-700 MB can take quite a while at 802.11b speeds (4000 Mbps or so).

Scott-

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Without media server ... ?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2003, 03:17:29 pm »

100-700 MB can take quite a while at 802.11b speeds (4000 Mbps or so).

You're getting 4000Mbps on a wireless lan :o
Where can I get some of that!!??

Scott   ;)

sraymond

Re:Without media server ... ?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2003, 05:58:58 pm »

100-700 MB can take quite a while at 802.11b speeds (4000 Mbps or so).

You're getting 4000Mbps on a wireless lan :o
Where can I get some of that!!??

Scott   ;)

M...  K....  what's an order of three amongst friends?

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up