INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Do You Trust?  (Read 5550 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Who Do You Trust?
« on: June 06, 2016, 07:33:30 pm »

Would you trust JRiver to backup your settings to the Cloud?

Advantages:
If you lost them or the disk they are on, we could help you get running again.

If you added a new machine or switched to another machine, it would be easy to transfer them.

If you wanted to set up MC and share that setup with a friend, this would help.

Disadvantages:
If we worked at it, we could see your filenames and metadata.

If we were hacked, someone else might be able to see the same.

----

We're already doing something similar with Doctor Who and it hasn't created any problems.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Who Do You Trust?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 07:36:18 pm »

i would trust JRiver for sure, and i see some advantages for sure.

feel free to hack my filenames and metadata.  i've spent literally thousands of hours on it...would be nice if someone actually cared enough to look for it :D

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 07:38:43 pm »

In theory a good idea.  So far, though, play doctor has seemed very strange and hard to use.  From my perspective.  Just being honest.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 07:43:11 pm »

Hard to use?

Maybe you mean Doctor Who.

If you have a problem, please start a new thread.

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 08:06:32 pm »

Not a matter of trust, just not something that would interest me. I'd rather see JRiver put the time and resources somewhere else.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:09:58 pm »

What happens if you are subpoenaed? Do you even want to entertain that scenario?

Long story short, I'm OK with program settings being backed up but not sure if metadata is necessarily a good idea. Most of the reputable services that store customer data will allow the customer to retain their own encryption keys. I would be hard-pressed to allow an online service that didn't provide this. I suppose a private key is less cumbersome to manage than an entire library backup, but not by much.

Five years ago this wouldn't have even crossed my mind but times have changed.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 08:17:22 pm »

The backup would be the same file that MC currently saves as a backup of your library.  Whatever is in it would be what we'd store, so that you could download it and restore it.

I'd be flattered if somebody subpoenaed JRiver, but I would say no.

stewart_pk

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 08:23:16 pm »

Not a matter of trust, just not something that would interest me. I'd rather see JRiver put the time and resources somewhere else.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 08:40:11 pm »

Hard to use?

Maybe you mean Doctor Who.

If you have a problem, please start a new thread.

Yes, I mean Dr. Who.  Sorry to have sidetracked the thread.  I'm not concerned, so I'll leave it at this until I decide it's worth pursuing.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 09:16:35 pm »

My main music system does not normally communicate outside my local network.

How about a choice - backup to cloud, backup locally, backup to both the cloud and locally.

jachin99

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 09:41:42 pm »

If each user chooses what is stored, then it sounds like a good idea.  I'm thinking it would at least be great for most users to backup their photo library.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 10:00:45 pm »

While I trust JRiver not to take advantage, I'd rather see JRiver put the time and resources somewhere else.

I have a robust backup system at home. That includes a backup of the MC backups.

If I want to backup the MC library to the Cloud, I can easily just copy a backup to OneDrive, encrypted or not. I could also automate that if I wished.

The capability may be of interest to non-technical users. But would they even remember that such a backup existed, and if so, how to access it? There are many threads where the restore of a backup would solve a user's problem, but they don't even recognise the solution or existing capability.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 10:05:00 pm »

MC keeps my FTP login details.
This is very handy for me. I like that. I wish that Doctor Who would similarly store my login credentials and 'just log me in'.
Last time I checked (long time ago) MC stored these in the registry in plain text. This never bothered me as my PC is secure, as are the backups.
However, I would not be thrilled about sending that info into the cloud.

Are these details still stored in plain text?

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 12:42:18 pm »

I don't have an issue with the trust, but I already send my backups to Crashplan and don't see it as much of a benefit.

-tm

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »

I've got everything already on an automatic cloud backup (Crashplan). I would also prefer to see JRiver resources focused elsewhere. (Like better documentation - it took an inordinate amount of time to find some info on using booleans in the expression language last night. A (very) simple thing, but I needed to validate how MC does it and it was tough. It needs to be easier).
Pages: [1]   Go Up