INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulk Ripping Multiple CD's Suggestion  (Read 2884 times)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Bulk Ripping Multiple CD's Suggestion
« on: June 11, 2016, 08:30:22 am »

This is a small voice in the wilderness. From the current experience of re-ripping 5,000 CD's with multiple drives available. I am finding that of the various settings possible none work quite well.

If I work with the normal default settings. I can put a disc in, check for correct text and artwork. Then command "Rip Tracks". Insert another disc, check data and wait for the first one to finish. Then can start the second one. Sometimes, but not very often the ripping for the second one will start up by itself. This can speed things up if it worked this way. all the time.

If I just set "Max rip processes" to 3, the number of drives available. And do nothing else. I have no way to initiate other discs to "rip" until the first one is finished. No gain in this situation.

Now I set "AutoPlay" for Audio CD: = Rip. Now I can have several discs ripping at the same time. Great time saver, but I have no chance to check each disc for correctness. Now I have a very time consuming job to back up and find the data for both Main and CD and correct.

For those of us who have check each disc first and have more than just a few to process, the sequences would be advantageous to insert the disc, check the text and artwork, make necessary correction, NOW tell the system to proceed with the ripping. At this point process the next disc.

Thinking over what is needed. It seems if the "Rip Tracks" - "Cancel Rip" button was changed to apply only to the highlighted drive and not the entire process. Now disable Auto Rip. I believe the operator would complete control when of the process. I am sure from my on going experiences I would save a considerable amount of time and frustration.

I certainly wish I had the ability to do this change now when it would help the most.

Regards, Harroun

PS: I am not good at multi-tasking. Trying to rip CD's and write this message at the same is a failure.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bulk Ripping Multiple CD's Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 08:50:30 am »

Maybe it's time to look at alternative software for ripping from multiple drives at the same time.  EAC and DBPoweramp are both supposed to be able to do it.  I have no experience with either one.  Good luck.

Brian.

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 09:20:37 am »

I use and would certainly recommend having a look DBPowerAmp. With so many CDs to rip you really need very efficient work flow.

Spike

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 11:01:56 am »

Brian. Thanks for your quick reply. I have seriously thought about look elsewhere for ripping software, but I have latterly thousands of hours into entering the text and artwork to my personal satisfaction. 5,000 CD's is a lot of work. My tale of this project is long, I will save you details. I will check those programs out. If I can make use of them, it would be a good idea to have a back-up program available, or simply just to not use MC as it takes up a lot of the computer resources to be loaded up.

I am having a look at DBPoweramp now. Looks quite interesting. Maybe I should have found that sooner. Does it maintain a data base of our work. So if we have to redo some CD's we dont have to start over again.

Thanks again. Haroun

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 11:56:32 am »

Dbpoweramp is a ripping software.  There is no database, but it is a good and fast ripper

It does have good metadata support including cover arts

I'm not sure why you'd have to re-do a CD if you are using secure ripping.  There will still be a lot of manual tagging, public database metadata is only as good as it is. 

Good luck, it took me over a year to rip around 5000 cd's and I'm still tagging stuff years later to get it to satisfaction

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 09:51:58 am »

Thanks all of you for the assistance. Now I am not so sure about DBPoweramp, I did buy it and will try it out. I see many nifty features. But over the past 15 years or so I have done much editing and development of format layout or rules so when sorted alphabetically all is sorted neatly with boxed sets in proper order and what not. Then have a system for classical music to display in a proper manner. More like it would be on printed sheet music or on the album labels itself, that is with the main title on the first line and the movements on indented lines below. Originally this was all to physical CD's and the data was stored on ripping program. At the time there was no suitable way to store all the Cd's on a computer and I was never happy with the available playback sort ware. Even JRiver MC I am not totally happy with and see many things that would make it better. That has not seemed to get off the ground, think my suggestions are still in transit. The way I could migrate the music with the artwork to JRiver was rip my copy CD's and the text was extracted at the time and I attached the artwork. This I did in about one and one months. So there are a number missed CD's and artwork in the wrong place. They on way I can think to correct this is run the CD's through the system again, but with using the original ones this time.

I am trying very hard to maintain my data base for the unforeseen future. It has paid off so far. Incidentally I have chatted with Collectzon.com (spelling may be wrong) and they are vigorously addressing the problem with public data bases. Now we can each title generally has one entry and we can submit changes for approval and use. Very often I am submitting changes for books and movies. Have not been to active for music as to start fresh would be a daunting task. Maybe I can have it automatically upload all the data for FLAC files into my local data base. This would nifty. Ideally I should be able to retrieve my data from these. So far not so good. Next steps on the improvement ladder would be to be able to have the program remember which titles have been submitted and periodically which ones have new revisions. I am a unrealistic dreamer, right?

I am just discovering all the trials and agonies of attempting to rip SACDs. Looks sort of impossible and difficult. That is to get the 2nd layer, not the normal CD one. In general had not been too much interested in multi-channel sound for music. Now am thinking a little about it. When I was doing my copy to CD with CDText project there was one title I was very interested to get a copy of, it is only available on SACD. I was having trouble to keep the 2nd layer from being copied instead of the CDA layer. The copy would not play on my Sony CD changers or other devices. I did not follow it up too much. Now I am wondering if that drive is a rare external drive that would act as the PS3 toys. It do think it is a Plextor drive. It is in a storage shed now and I can not find it. I am anxious to find and see what happens. I thin some people would be excited to find another option. Now I am visiting in USA and will return to Thailand where the copy/pirates are concentrated. I will ask around.

I talk too, much to most peoples dismay.

Sorry about that. Harroun
Pages: [1]   Go Up