INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Control of Bulbs  (Read 5268 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Color Control of Bulbs
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:39:11 pm »

Gene implemented support for color bulbs a few weeks ago, but Keenan just got a nice web page control going.  Here he is demonstrating the new feature to John.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Color Control of Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 01:03:42 pm »

The light bulb is an Aeotec ZW098-A52.  It's $50.

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:30:21 pm »

Could engen be used to control philips Hue bulbs?

If not now, is it in the planning?

At present I can control philips Hue with python, but want a way to integrate that with JRiver.

Could engen and oneremote help with this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 11:41:18 pm »

Philips uses Zigbee, not Z-Wave, so the answer is no.  Sorry.  Any Z-Wave color bulb will work.

Zigbee and Z-Wave are two leaders in the IoT space.  One will probably win.  We're betting on Z-Wave.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Color Control of Bulbs
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:01:40 am »

Philips uses Zigbee, not Z-Wave, so the answer is no.  Sorry.  Any Z-Wave color bulb will work.

Zigbee and Z-Wave are two leaders in the IoT space.  One will probably win.  We're betting on Z-Wave.
Personally I wouldn't bet on just one or the other. Most of the most popular controllers are compatible with both plus wifi (upd & tcp) and Bluetooth or are heading that way. 

So far I've tried Smartthings and Micasa Vera hardware based ones but I'm thinking one of the pc based ones is where I'll end up. Based on my experience so far I wouldn't bother with any controller that limits me to just one of the technologies as the whole idea of a smart home / home automation controller is that it integrates all my devices.

The other thing that I've come to realise that is important is a plugin model with good community support.

I think it's good you guys are doing this and realise you need to pick one to start with but as a long term strategy I'd keep the architecture flexible enough that the other control technologies can be added on in the future.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 05:05:08 am »

I agree that Zigbee is important, but in my opinion, reliability is more important than support for multiple standards.  If Zigbee is still important when we've accomplished that with Z-Wave, then we'll probably add it.  Right now, I just want a system that works well.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 05:11:09 am »

Agree with you there. Good support of one is better than a half baked support of many. One of the reasons I stopped using the smart things hub was that it was too half baked for my use case while the Vera while by no means perfect has a good plugin community that was enough to fill in the gaps and tie all my various devices together.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 05:21:23 am »

While I realise you are only supporting z-wave at this stage, if you do decide to branch out further a relatively popular smart lighting range that has an open source development api is limitless led/milight.  

http://www.limitlessled.com/dev/

The guy seems pretty open to interfacing with new controllers as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up