INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

MC has a TiVo Server plugin. Does anyone use TiVo?

Yes
- 3 (30%)
No
- 6 (60%)
Don't know what TiVo is
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone use TiVo?  (Read 2964 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Does anyone use TiVo?
« on: June 18, 2016, 08:09:37 am »

I've been wondering about the "interface plugin: TiVo Server".

Is this just for someone that has a TiVo account/service and a TiVo DVR?

From the TiVo website, it looks like you need a TiVo DVR to use TiVo Online. I couldn't find any pricing for TiVo the TiVo service - but I'm sure it's not free.
What would TiVo offer that I can't get now with MC (a TV Tuner card, and Netflix)?

Does anyone use it?

jachin99

Re: Does anyone use TiVo?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 11:56:35 am »

I think tivo just condenses everything into one box.  Ive been eyeing the sat tv tivo boxes when i get cable again so im wondering the same thing.  I know the subscriptions are kind of expensive but the boxes can replace your cable box.

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 08:54:08 pm »

TiVo is the best DVR box you can get. The interface is very user friendly and the units are incredibly stable/reliable. It's about the only option if you're on cable that flags everything copy-once. MCE doesn't appear to have a future and the other major option is to rent from the cable company. TiVos also act as media streamers for most of the major services.

I don't use the plugin that was mentioned. It looks like it lets you access your JRiver library from a TiVo. I would just go directly into JRiver since my HTPC is already hooked up through HDMI.

-tm

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 05:02:59 am »

I'm wondering if the JRiver Tivo server feature allows access to "Tivo online" (streaming) without having to buy any Tivo hardware. That would make adding a Tivo subscription worthwhile, but I'm thinking now that it does not. I don't want to buy anymore hardware.
I think your right millst, it's just for those people that already have a Tivo DVR.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 06:19:11 am »

I'm wondering if the JRiver Tivo server feature allows access to "Tivo online" (streaming) without having to buy any Tivo hardware.
It doesn't.  It hasn't been updated in several years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up