INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver + microRendu for Movie Audio  (Read 6134 times)

1966 Triumph

• Recent member
JRiver + microRendu for Movie Audio
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:51:21 am »

Hey guys, I have one 2.1 setup for both music and movie playback.  My setup consists of the following:

1. Asus VivoPC as an HTPC w/Windows 10/JRiver MC21 (MC22 upgrade license already purchased).

2. PC goes into a McIntosh D100 DAC via USB.

3. DAC goes into a McIntosh C200 Preamp/Decware Taboo MK II Amp/Omega Speakers + sub

4. My music and movie files are stored on WD MyCloud NAS (JRiver reads my files from the NAS and plays them back through the USB DAC).

It's pretty much your basic 2.1 stereo setup that includes a NAS/HTPC.  I was considering purchasing a microRendu rather than go with an expensive CAPS PC build, but I'm worried about playback using the JRiver interface.  The microRendu may significantly enhance playback of audio files, but I also need and want to hear movie audio and other typical PC noises, etc.  And although the microRendu sounds pretty cool and to an extent, be less expensive than building a CAPS build ~ I feel that JRiver Library playback and other system noises are more important.

The selectable output modes for the microRendu are:

SELECTABLE OUTPUT MODES
 Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output - This output works with any Logitech Media Server and compatible controllers. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM and DSD/DoP.

Mode #2 - ShairPort Output - This is an AirPlay emulator that utilizes streams sent to it from a compatible source. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM.

Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:

Mode #3a - DLNA Output - This output utilizes streams from UPNP/DLNA servers and controllers. This output can be configured as an OpenHome renderer. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with a SMB mount. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #5 - RoonReady Output - This output utilizes streams from Roon. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

I'm wondering if ...

(a) Will the microRendu even work with JRiver MC21 at all?
(b) since the DAC pretty much handles all of my PC's audio from watching youtube videos through MS Edge browser, to the Tidal app, movies and music through JRiver, etc.  Will I still be able to hear movies and other system noises/sounds that my PC makes?

Thanks in advance for any input!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver + microRendu for Movie Audio
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:03:32 am »

I don't think you want this thing.  It's not a general purpose PC.  It won't run JRiver MC.  It's just "in the way" between JRiver MC and your DAC.

Brian.

1966 Triumph

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:04:39 am »

Thanks for the input ...

I'm not familiar with the setup, but somehow JRiver needs to be used as a DLNA server and JRemote to control it.  It has potential to remove the need for a audiophile built PC, since it uses Ethernet through a non-moving parts dedicated computer that's only built for audio.  However as already mentioned it I can't get system sounds and movie audio through JRiver than I'm not interested.

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:55:26 am »

Why dont you ask on the MicroRendu thread on computeraudiophile?
the sonore people are often in that thread answering questions

Most likely way you connect to the  Microrendu is using the DLNA protocol
you will still need a computer that runs jriver and send it to a dlna renderer.

i'm not sure if you can convert system sounds to dlna but i think so doing the following.

If you install the JRiver WDM driver you can route system sound. i haven't tried it it yet I dont have a DLNA device on hand but i assume that's the way you get system sound in your audio path.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 01:43:47 pm »

AFAIK the WDM driver cannot push to UPNP / DLNA
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

1966 Triumph

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 03:22:19 am »

Why dont you ask on the MicroRendu thread on computeraudiophile?
the sonore people are often in that thread answering questions

Most likely way you connect to the  Microrendu is using the DLNA protocol
you will still need a computer that runs jriver and send it to a dlna renderer.

i'm not sure if you can convert system sounds to dlna but i think so doing the following.

If you install the JRiver WDM driver you can route system sound. i haven't tried it it yet I dont have a DLNA device on hand but i assume that's the way you get system sound in your audio path.

AFAIK the WDM driver cannot push to UPNP / DLNA

Thanks guys.  Sonore by SImple Design has their own forum on Audio Circle.  I asked over there Jesus responded something to the effect that "the DLNA output may not support all the features of local playback. You might want to ask this question on the JRiver forum to be sure." ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up