INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User defined views in JRemote  (Read 4487 times)

Slim_Fishguttz

• Recent member
  • One's actions exist, but the one who acts does not
User defined views in JRemote
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:50:25 am »

Show user defined views on JRemote.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
User defined views in JRemote
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:57:35 am »

Show user defined views on JRemote.

You can do this now?  Or do you mean something beyond the customization currently available?

Check under Options-->Media Network.  There's an option to define views for Gizmo and JRemote there.

- When turned on Volume restriction and the volume is turned manually down from Windows and you want to turn it back mouse will lag

This is actually a feature of Volume protection: it's designed to deliberately make it hard to create sudden fast changes in volume.  The "cursor lag" is volume protection doing its job.  You can set a maximum volume without enabling volume protection.

Slim_Fishguttz

• Recent member
Re: User defined views in JRemote
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49:09 am »

You can do this now?  Or do you mean something beyond the customization currently available?

Check under Options-->Media Network.  There's an option to define views for Gizmo and JRemote there.

Here's what I mean ---

I have set up a number of custom library views on my MC server, and they automagically show up on every MC client of that server.  However, when I connect, using JRemote, to either server or client the views that I have painstaking defined are not available.  it seems like the option that you mention would only have me set up new, unrelated views.  I've already set up custom library views.  Why do I need to do it again.  Extra work and a problem to keep any changes in sync.  Also, will any views I set up this way be available throughout the MC eco-system?  It doesn't seem like it.

Thanks for your consideration.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:38:41 pm »

Here's what I mean ---

I have set up a number of custom library views on my MC server, and they automagically show up on every MC client of that server.  However, when I connect, using JRemote, to either server or client the views that I have painstaking defined are not available.  it seems like the option that you mention would only have me set up new, unrelated views.  I've already set up custom library views.  Why do I need to do it again.  

Did you take a look at the options?  If you click "add a view" under the menu I mentioned, one of the options is "add library item from Standard view."  It directly copies views from standard view.  If you remove the default Gizmo/JRemote views, and then add the root views from standard view, you should have a replica in about 10 minutes.

The reason they're separate is because you might find you want different view hierarchies on a mobile device than on a computer; I know I do. Additionally, certain types of standard view schemes (i.e. panes views) aren't really replicable on mobile anyway.  The separation provides the flexibility to have it different, but it's very easy to make them the same if your standard view schemes can be represented on a mobile device.

Also, will any views I set up this way be available throughout the MC eco-system?  It doesn't seem like it.

Your assumption is not correct. The servers views are available on all library clients.  You need to specify the views on the library server, but then they get pushed out just like the standard view or theater view view-schemes.  JRemote and Gizmo views work exactly like any other view with respect to server/client.

Unless I'm missing something, the existing features do what you want.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:15:58 pm »

10 minutes is probably 9 minutes more than it takes to copy a view so the JRemote can use it ... but iirc don't you also need to restart MC or JRemote or both for the magic to happen?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 02:29:47 pm »

10 minutes is probably 9 minutes more than it takes to copy a view so the JRemote can use it ... but iirc don't you also need to restart MC or JRemote or both for the magic to happen?

You do have to restart JRemote and/or any clients once you're done; 10 minutes was a conservative estimate (it might take a few minutes to clear out what's there by default).

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 05:02:22 pm »

but iirc don't you also need to restart MC or JRemote or both for the magic to happen?

BOTH.  Restart MC, then restart JRemote and you should see your new/updated views.

Brian.

Slim_Fishguttz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 07:52:36 am »

Did you take a look at the options?  If you click "add a view" under the menu I mentioned, one of the options is "add library item from Standard view."  It directly copies views from standard view.  

Great, that's what I wanted.  Once again, I ask,"Is this on the Wiki?".  I searched for the phrase "add library item from Standard view." and for other entries under library views and under JRemote, but couldn't find anything relevant.  "add library item from Standard view" is not all that clear, at least to me.  If you work with a product all the time it becomes 2nd nature, but I simply want to use it to listen to music, watch movies, etc.  IMO, more completeness and clarity is needed in the Wiki.

Anyway, not your problem, I understand you're a customer not a employee.

Thanks for your time and help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 08:00:33 am »

If you want to use advanced features, you will need to look carefully at all the options.  The wiki will never document everything you might want to do. 

Thanks, mwillems, for helping.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:34:20 am »

Great, that's what I wanted.  Once again, I ask,"Is this on the Wiki?". 

It is, but maybe it's not very easy to find:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Remotes#More

I agree that more documentation, either on the Wiki, or in another form would be helpful.

If you need any help with your JRemote views, post here and we'll try to help you.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 01:38:31 pm »

Oddly, writing more is not always effective.  People often react negatively to a "wall of text".

Closing this now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up