INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View OSD ratings  (Read 3997 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Theater View OSD ratings
« on: July 18, 2016, 09:09:18 am »

I have a simple request, though it is the biggest feature I can think of to improve my daily use of MC.

In Theater View I would really like the ability to rate whatever song, movie or tv show I am watching/listening to with my remote control. The addition of [Rating] to the OSD menu would be so convenient. I hope others feel the same.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Theater View OSD ratings
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:10:37 am »

Well with your remote view Theater View > Playing Now and pick the bottom row.  It's a row of stars and responds to left and right.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 09:49:25 am »

I have a simple request, though it is the biggest feature I can think of to improve my daily use of MC.

In Theater View I would really like the ability to rate whatever song, movie or tv show I am watching/listening to with my remote control. The addition of [Rating] to the OSD menu would be so convenient. I hope others feel the same.
In Playing Now, use the up and down arrow keys to get to the Rating row, then right arrow to the one you want, then OK.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:54:11 am »

Goes into the same bucket as many requests.

I might be wrong but I somehow believe that I initially miss-understood how the whole Theaterview works. In fact Theaterview is an overlay which allows 10-foot like commanding of MC. The OSD which we see when we press up/down has actually nothing do to with theaterview. It's an overlay over display view and you find in there infos and can command functions which are made available to the MC player by the "renderer"..."player"...don't know the EXACT term. For example if you use mad-vr you find in the OSD a whole lot of infos that mad-vr for instance sources.

What the request is all about...I might mistaken...is to be able to rate something DURING playback....it's about user experience while watching/listening. It's the same user experience I was asking for when I asked if the OSD could show a chapterlist of a playing MKV.

Switching to theaterview while watching just to navigate to the "playing now" - theaterview panel is a hassle (and even with unselecting "stop playback when entering theaterview"). It somehow interrupts the "viewing/listening pleasure" and even if it ultimately should work out (ie I can change the rating...see a chapter list, etc...) it's still sub-optimal.

Enhancing, if even possible by design??, the OSD to incorporate more "infos" or ability to control more MC/library things would be so fantastic !

park

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 05:18:49 am »

Thanks for the feedback. I had forgotten that playing now was different to display view. Eddyshere is right in that that the interface isn't intuitive and thinking back now I do remember writing suggestions in the past about the playing now and info list views. I genuinely started this request having forgotten the media center way of doing things despite my many years of daily use of theater view. Without intending to make this a thread about theater view's deficiencies I would like to reiterate the OT request but rephrase it to ask for a way to change rating in display view.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 05:31:02 am »

Goes into the same bucket as many requests.
You can't possibly believe that all requests should be implemented.  Most aren't.  We don't have the resources and users would be overwhelmed with the complexity.

Rating with a remote in Theater View seems like a reasonably sophisticated need, so having to understand the interface or even dig around a little doesn't seem like too high a barrier.

A few of us don't have perfect memories, so its common to have to dig.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 07:05:44 am »

You can't possibly believe that all requests should be implemented.

of course not.

And I just realize I made a wording error : when I said goes into the same bucket I didn't mean "goes into the same trash bin"....I wanted to say goes on the pile of many requests of theaterview users.

All we try to say is that the implementation of further functionalities (which for the time being are accessible in theaterview and of course in standard view) into the OSD would greatly enhance the user experience of the "remote-control-users"

park

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 07:39:49 am »

Jim, personally I would argue that changing the rating is a core part of the user experience that shouldn't require any digging. Notice that it has been the one tagging feature put front and center of every interface ever since the original ipod. If it were my call i would put it in the osd interface with the other core playback controls.

greynolds

Re:
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 11:09:50 pm »

Jim, personally I would argue that changing the rating is a core part of the user experience that shouldn't require any digging. Notice that it has been the one tagging feature put front and center of every interface ever since the original ipod. If it were my call i would put it in the osd interface with the other core playback controls.
I know this thread hasn't had any activity in a while, but I agree with the above post.  Arguing that one should have to "dig" to find something as fundamental as rating isn't a good answer to the request, IMHO.

When playing a video (movie, TV show, whatever), it would be really convenient to be able to use the up/down arrow keys to navigate to a rating bar (so you would rotate through the "playing now", "settings", "time bar", and the newly added "rating"choices).  Once the user stops on the "rating" choice, right arrow would increase the rating by one star and left arrow would decrease the rating by one bar.  That strikes me as a pretty reasonable request that shouldn't be overly difficult to implement, doesn't really make the software more complex, and makes it really easy to rate a video while it's playing.

The current implementation of having to go to the Theater View "playing now" gadget doesn't seem even remotely intuitive to me - until it had been suggested here, I hadn't even thought to go looking for that while actually playing a video and had more or less resigned myself to not being able to rate videos while playing them.  It's much easier to adjust ratings for music while playing as it's a lot more intuitive to end up on the "playing now" gadget while listening to music since there isn't the same competition for using the display as there is when playing a video...

greynolds

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 01:21:32 pm »

Bump...

@JimH, is there any chance of revisiting this request?

To wit - while a video is currently playing full-screen, there's the feature where you can use the up/down arrows to go through a list of functions near the bottom of the window that show the name of what's playing, the time slider, language selection, settings, and so on (the actual items that are available depend on the type of video file that's playing; for example, language is only available if there are multiple audio tracks).  Once you get to the item you want, you can use the left and right arrows to make selections.

It would be awesome to add the Star Rating to this so that you can see and adjust the rating without having to pause the video, find your way to the Theater View Playing Now, scroll down to Ratings, adjust the rating, and then figure out how to get video back to full screen and resume playback.  Quite honestly, the current workflow is so complex that most people just won't bother to make use of the ratings feature, which is a shame as it can be used to make things like Favorites playlists.

The proposed workflow shouldn't be all that difficult to implement and would make viewing and adjusting the star rating of the video file that's currently playing extremely easy for users.

Please consider adding this.  Pretty please? :)

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 03:28:24 pm »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 06:14:43 am »

Rating might be coming to the OSD next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

greynolds

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 10:17:46 pm »

Rating might be coming to the OSD next build.
Nice!  Thanks for listening.

greynolds

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 11:39:45 pm »

I see this was added to the version that was released today (22.0.88).

Thanks for adding this!  One suggestion that's obviously purely cosmetic, but would make it look a bit slicker (IMHO): rather than displaying a number between 1 and 5 or "No Rating" if the rating is 0, display the number of stars that correspond to the rating or "No Rating" if the value is 0.  But either way, this is a very welcome change.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 07:38:24 am »

My thanks also for this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up