INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Falling Ripping/Encoding Speed  (Read 992 times)

mlmitton

• nothing more to say...
Falling Ripping/Encoding Speed
« on: February 05, 2003, 02:52:53 pm »

Hey all, I've been reading the message boards for advice on people complaining about slow ripping speed, but I have a different problem that I haven't seen discussed: I used to be able to encode at roughly 9x, and now it's down to 6x.

Here are the details: I just bought a new computer (AMD 2000, 512K, 60 HD, XP) and I started ripping my CDs with Media Jukebox 8.  I was using the Digital Secure mode, and I was using Ogg Vorbis -q4.  With these settings, I was typically encoding at around 9x (slower if it had trouble reading the CD of course, but usually 9x).  Also, I didn't have much trouble using the computer at the same time.  That is, there were slight lags in web browsing, but not enough to bother me.  This is how it went for the first 150 CDs or so.

Then, apparently suddenly, that changed.  Without changing any of the settings, I can no only rip/encode at about 6x, and it's VERY difficult to use any other applications at the same time.

I never checked out the system resources while it was ripping at 9x, but now, the bottleneck seems to be oggenc.exe--it's taking up most of the system resources.

I've tried re-ripping CDs that I know I had ripped before at 9x, and now it's only 6x.  I've tried reinstalling Jukebox.  And I don't know what else to try, or even what some possible causes my be.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

(It matters, I guess, because I have several hundred CDs to go.  If I can't use the computer at the same time, it's going to take a very long time!)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Falling Ripping/Encoding Speed
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 03:07:15 pm »

Did you install any other software?  WMP9, for example?  Or Nero or Adaptec?  Anything that might want to talk to the CD drive?

Any hardware changes?

mlmitton

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 04:52:01 pm »

Did you install any other software?  WMP9, for example?  Or Nero or Adaptec?  Anything that might want to talk to the CD drive?

Any hardware changes?

Hmm, good idea I hadn't thought of, but alas, no, I haven't made any hardware or software changes at all.  (Well, I've made a few changes since installing MJ, but at the end of those changes, it was still ripping at 9x.)

Incidentally, I checked to see whether there had been a similar decline in ripping/encoding with Exact Audio Copy, and there hasn't.  I've always ripped/encoded at about 5.5x with EAC (Vorbis q4), and that's still the speed.  It should be said, though, that EAC is using a different Vorbis encoder.  Well, it's the same encoder, oggenc, but EAC is using a different copy than MJ.  Maybe I'll try feeding oggencgt2.exe to MJ and see how that works.

MachineHead

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 04:58:47 pm »

Try adding the EAC copy from the plugin manager. As long as you know where it is, MJ should be able to pick it up. I doubt if it would make a difference, but it might depending on which compile it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up