INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing files and creating new folder structure  (Read 3316 times)

SwissTom

• Recent member
Importing files and creating new folder structure
« on: August 13, 2016, 04:01:39 am »

Hello,

I just bought JRiver 22 and would like to import my files (Flac and ALAC).

My question is the following :

QUESTION - A :

Is JRiver capable of:

- Step 1 : Reading the content of Folder A which contains files I want to import

- Step 2 : Let me modify tags if necessary

- Step 3 : Then copy (consolidate) the files I select to Folder B in which it will create a predefined folder structure depending on files tagging (ex. Genre/Composer/Album/track-number_track-name.flac)

My goal is to have complete control on the import procedure and resulting in a new, well-organized, structure containing my music.

Is it possible to do such a step by step import/copy procedure?

QUESTION - B :

Is JRiver capable, at the same time, of importing pdf booklets so that these booklets are readable/accessible from the Audio mode/view?
Or should I do this, as a second step, after importing/copying all my music files?

I found some information in the forum but sometimes unclear or assuming previous config/spets to be already done.

Thank you very much for your help  :)

Thomas

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Importing files and creating new folder structure
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 06:23:38 am »

The answer to A is yes.  Just import the files (see Getting Started in my signature), then tag them.  When they are tagged, you can use the Library Tool called Rename, Move, Copy to move them where you want.  Try a few before you do very many.

That said, it doesn't matter to MC where your files are stored.  They can be organized in the program without moving files.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:16:48 am »

Here's a really good article on Rename, Move, and Copy:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

It's a big tool that can do several jobs.  It might seem very complex at first, but I promise it's not too bad once you get a handle on it.  RM&C is one of MC's greatest features!  I use it pretty frequently.

If you need help with RM&C or tagging, post here and we'll try to help you.

Good luck.

Brian.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 11:35:57 am »

I rely on tagging 100% to give me as many "organized" views as I want.  My folder structure in Windows is simple: SACDs, CDs, Downloads, BD-As, BD-Vs, etc.  Once ripped to a folder, I never move them.  There is no need to.  I never play anything directly from the Windows folders, and, once imported into the JR library, it really makes no difference which Windows folder they reside in. 

But, yes, all my tags are also written back into the media files themselves as a backup.  But, Windows cannot see those tags without software like JR to open them and display the tags.

I have thousands of rips on my NAS.  The last thing I want to do is to waste time and effort futzing with folder structures when the tags are much more powerful and multi-dimensional.  With the classical music that predominates my library, tricky folder structures just do not cut it.

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 12:15:17 pm »

The answer to B is that if you use JRemote on an iOS device you can easily view related digital booklets. I find JRemote on the iPad is great for this. The feature isn't available on JRemote for Android yet.

There may be an easy way to view digital booklets from Media Center but I haven't bothered trying to find out. If I'm sitting at a computer I just navigate to the folder that contains the booklet and open the file. Usually I'm sitting in front of the audio system when I'm inspired to open the booklet, and for that JRemote on the iPad is fantastic.

SwissTom

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 12:56:40 pm »

Thank you all for your replies  :)

I'll start with the "Rename, move.." tool suggested by Brian and JimH.
The tool is pretty well documented!
Question A seems to be answered, thanks!!!

Regarding question B.
I didn't really find a complet solution.
I read a thread related to that, bu couldn't reproduce the explained procedure.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68025.0

Before starting the job of carefully importing all my music library (unfortunately without the pdf booklets) I would like to know if there is a way to import an album and its related booklet.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 09:20:06 pm »

when you import a folder, make sure to choose all the file types that you may want (pdf, doc, log, whatever)

these will be imported and can be seen in the views (if you want them to be).  so from inside of MC, you can have an album, and see the pdf inside the album, then you can have the pdf open with an external program so just clicking it in MC will bring it up in your favourite viewer

i have specific views that will see the books and cover arts etc. and some that don't

SwissTom

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 07:54:20 am »

Hello Ferday,

I found how to import the pdf booklet, cover and back images and the audio files.
But would like to access the pdf booklet and images directly from the Audio view (ex. Audio/Panes view).

The only way to access the pdf booklet is through the Documents which is not very convenient.
Furthermore I cant distinguish the booklets as they are all names "booklet.pdf"

What would be perfect is to associate the pdf booklet and images to an audio album and therefore access those document when accessing the album

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 08:29:33 am »

No, you need to create a view that isn't audio only so you can see the album folder or wherever you want to see them

I tag my booklets with the album name - this is quite easy once you can see them in a view

Just customise the view options to allow pdf through.  It's still not as nice as JRemote but it does work
Pages: [1]   Go Up