INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picture collection over jremote (how to browse?)  (Read 10167 times)

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Picture collection over jremote (how to browse?)
« on: August 15, 2016, 01:48:47 pm »

After years of MC usage for music and video I just thought why don't give it a shot for a picture collection....pictures of the children. WAF and Wsatisfaction guaranteed...

But I haven't figured out how to browse the pictures through JRemote. I see all pictures in thumbnail size in an album and by clicking on one I can see the "full" picture size....BUT I'm unable to see the next one. I have to close the picture and select the next one.

Is a slideshow-like viewing not possible over JRemote ?? On a MC client when I open one picture hitting right or left jumps to the next but not so on the ipad (jremote).

Do I miss something ??

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Picture collection over jremote (how to browse?)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:31:17 am »

Are you using JRemote as a remote to show pictures on some screen, or are you trying to show pictures on your handheld device? The latter has never worked. Thumbs show up, but they will not show in large version or fullscreen. JRiver has made it quite clear they don't regard this as any major flaw, and has stated that they have no plans on developing JRemote or make any changes:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105542.msg741402.html#msg741402

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 02:46:05 am »

On the handheld device....that explains it then.

Re your link and as feared : That is the problem when in reality features of MC are "de facto" individual open source projects sucked in...when the guys are gone...so is the further development of the feature.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:31:34 am »

Just a wild idea here: In order to add image playback to JRemote, without further development of JRemote. But with further development of MC instead. If MC had a capability to push a series of dummy audio tracks (say silence) that each provided on an ad hoc basis, an image from your image collection, as the album art for that track, then JRemote could simply "play" the images via its existing audio playback capability. As I say, just an idea..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 05:20:53 am »

While I would agree, it also seems to me that panel will provide this and more soon enough?  I don't have Internet to play with it right now but it works great on the localhost and does everything and more than JRemote

I believe that it should do over the phone and what not...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 07:11:42 am »

While I would agree, it also seems to me that panel will provide this and more soon enough?

In this context "Panel" is just a fancy new name for "WebGizmo" and I see no evidence of anything groundbreaking on that front yet.

Whilst you can do a lot of things in a browser it is not obvious that a browser front end can support tablet gestures and provide user interface elements in the same tightly integrated manner as a dedicated app can do. (Otherwise the demand for dedicated apps would suddenly disappear..)

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 07:12:35 am »

Theater View is easy to use with photos.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 07:14:39 am »

Theater View is easy to use with photos.

Jim, if you can find a way to run TheaterView on a tablet (as the OP implied) then I think we would all be overjoyed.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 11:25:12 am »

Jim, if you can find a way to run TheaterView on a tablet (as the OP implied) then I think we would all be overjoyed.

Absolutely.....just hope theaterview is MC homemade and not from a "gone" source ;D . I'm still hoping the "jump to" pop up list would become EASYILY  available in theaterview :'(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 12:09:05 pm »

The original poster said "WAF and Wsatisfaction guaranteed...".

Theater View is a good solution for that.  It doesn't run on a tablet, but it might solve the problem.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 12:21:57 pm »

The original poster said "WAF and Wsatisfaction guaranteed...".

Theater View is a good solution for that.  It doesn't run on a tablet, but it might solve the problem.

yes agree but should run on the handheld...WAF guaranteed if she can browse the pictures on her ipad....whilst I watch my music concerts in theaterview on my 65'' plasma ;D or you thought I'll also watch my children's pictures all night long ? ;) ?

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »

EOS Remote can display pictures on the handheld and swipe to go back and forth.  It's not perfect, but it works fairly well.

Brian.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 04:36:45 pm »

thanks !
will give a try

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 12:33:58 pm »

Just a correction here..

I posted my earlier replies based on the assumption that what the OP was saying was actually true.

I tested it just now in reality with JRemote on iPad. And it works just fine for me. I don't think the OP was telling the truth.

I take back my earlier posts and implied criticisms...

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 01:09:22 pm »

I tested it just now in reality with JRemote on iPad. And it works just fine for me. I don't think the OP was telling the truth.

Using an iPad air, the only option I have is to close the full screen picture and then select the next one, as described by the OP.

DJLegba

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 01:50:56 pm »

I tested and see what the OP is seeing. However, I also found the following:

When the target is set to "This device", selecting an image folder and telling JRemote on the iPad to "Play now" results in the following error message: "Audio streaming error - There was a problem playing the current audio file."

When the target is set to "Player" the images are displayed sequentially on the server's monitor and JRemote will cycle through the "track" info with the thumbnail. I haven't figure out if there's a way to make JRemote show the full image on the iPad while "playing" to the server.

I also have a really old iPod Touch running iOS 6.1.6 (can't be upgraded). That's too old for JRemote 3.22, so it's running some earlier version (unreported by JRemote and I don't know how to make the iPod tell me). Again, I have to set the zone to "Player", but this old version of JRemote toggles between a list of tracks and the thumbnail of the track currently playing. The "thumbnail" occupies most of the iPod's screen. I'm not sure if that would be the case on a device with a bigger screen.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 02:27:08 pm »

I don't think the OP was telling the truth.

thanks to tune it a notch down...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 03:16:51 pm »

Sorry but I did not mean to imply you were telling lies.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 09:08:12 am »

Are you using JRemote as a remote to show pictures on some screen, or are you trying to show pictures on your handheld device? The latter has never worked. Thumbs show up, but they will not show in large version or fullscreen. JRiver has made it quite clear they don't regard this as any major flaw, and has stated that they have no plans on developing JRemote or make any changes:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105542.msg741402.html#msg741402

I have seen this comment about jremote before that you can't get big photos on an iphone. I can on mine using jremote. The thumbs show and pressing one shows the bigger image. You have then to press the x to go back to thumbs.

Ross

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 09:09:22 am »

Works even better on my iPad.

Ross

Trumpetguy

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 09:09:41 am »

I have seen this comment about jremote before that you can't get big photos on an iphone. I can on mine using jremote. The thumbs show and pressing one shows the bigger image. You have then to press the x to go back to thumbs.

Ross
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my experience is for Android only.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:46 am »

Just a correction here..

I posted my earlier replies based on the assumption that what the OP was saying was actually true.

Does the iPad work differently from an iPhone 6s+?

the OP, eddyshere, wants an image slideshow on the device. There are posts here stating that it works fine, but I have my doubts because it does not work fine for me, nor eddyshere. I have put two screenshots here:
https://goo.gl/photos/NKyNmTBU6KuqZCBdA

Maybe we are missing something? if we are, could someone please post details of how they manage to get a slideshow of images playing on the device, using JRemote on iPhone or iPad?

Thank you.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 11:33:50 am »

All i was saying is that on my ipad mini (latest version) when i browse the picture library with jremote it works fine.
When i then want to see a single picture and click on it it also opens and displays "fullscreen" fine.

At this point one would expect that by swiping right or left the next pictures would also display fullscreen but THAT isn't working for me.

I have to close the picture reverting back to thumbnail overview and open the next one.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 02:00:29 pm »

the swipe for  the next picture would be nice and little effort for the JR team. So i can see why they say jremote does what it says on the tin, actually it does.....

Ross

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 02:19:59 pm »

At this point one would expect that by swiping right or left the next pictures would also display fullscreen but THAT isn't working for me.

It isn't working for me either.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 02:33:50 am »

Just to whine once more about it - it would be awfully nice to get pictures to show at all on Androids also.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 03:10:12 am »

The swipe for  the next picture would be nice and little effort for the JR team.

+1

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 10:33:16 am »

Just to whine once more about it - it would be awfully nice to get pictures to show at all on Androids also.

Yes! I think it got lost in the shuffle here, but JRemote for android has no support for viewing full images at all, which is a difference from the ios version.  JRemote for android supports image browsing viewschemes in the top menu, and you can browse thumbnail views, but clicking on an image to enlarge/look at it doesn't work at all, much less swiping for a slideshow.  Not sure if it's a bug or just an unimplemented feature, but if the devs are looking at improving the image functionality for ios, it would be nice to have basic image functionality on android too. 

It's the main reason my wife/family are still using Gizmo on their devices instead of switching to JRemote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up