INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback issues: not in sync with file length?  (Read 4667 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
Playback issues: not in sync with file length?
« on: September 01, 2016, 03:39:15 pm »

Hi –

Here's a weird one. With the update to v22, playback of any audio file type (I have no video to check) falls out of sync with the file size. Symptoms:

1. Random pauses in audio where the time elapsed keeps going
2. Playlist moves on to next song while audio from the previous is still going
3. When playback stops at the end of a playlist, the song will stop with some seconds left in it (depending on how long the "backlog" is from previous random pauses)

Playback is via HDMI (WASAPI) to a Yamaha RX-V779. No options are checked in device options, buffering is set to 5 ms. Automatic bitdepth in device options and no variation of bitdepth and sample rate in output format changes behavior as far as I can tell.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks –
Micah

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playback issues: not in sync with file length?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 04:07:55 pm »

I hate to say what Jim H would say but...

Power everything down, then power it back up and test again.

Brian.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:01:34 pm »

I hate to say what Jim H would say but...

Power everything down, then power it back up and test again.

Brian.
Oh, that's happened. I'll turn on logging and post it when it happens again (it's not a consistent thing).

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 11:26:06 am »

So I finally got along to reproducing this error and saving a log. It does happen pretty consistently on my Windows server, which is connected to my receiver via HDMI. My receiver is a Yamaha TSR-7790, which is the Costco version of the RX-V779 and is identical.

The issue is pretty clearly that the playback progress speed is *fast* (I timed it) but the audio plays at the normal rate, so when it gets to the end of a playlist, it stops. The longer the playlist, the wider the drift. Playing back one song usually isn't enough to get the end chopped off noticeably, but an album of 45-65 minutes or so usually loses 30-45 seconds off the last song.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oik91yxqwibvju/JRiver%20Log%202016-09-14%2012-12-13.rar?dl=0 is the log.

I recognize this issue is unusual and rare, but it makes MC practically unusable for me. :( I hope you can look into this.

Thanks -
Micah

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 01:20:56 pm »

Bump? Please? Anyone? Just take a look at my log at least.

Micah

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 03:44:49 pm »

I'm not that skilled at reading MC logs.  Yours is relatively enormous at 300,000+ lines.  Plus there's no "previous log".  Previous log is normally what happened before you pressed the "report problem" button.

I'm not sure what to even look for in the log file for this kind of problem.

Have you checked the system sound control panel for any weird options like sound processing, channel layout, or that kind of thing?  Is there an ASIO driver you can use?  Have you tried Direct Sound?  Just kind of throwing out ideas here; not sure if any of them will help or work.

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 04:13:38 pm »

It feels like someone else reported such a problem before a couple weeks back. Or maybe that was you in another thread?

I distinctly remember using a timer to try to check if the progress runs fast sometimes but just couldn't notice anything so far.

It sure sounds weird. And this never happened before with MC 21?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 11:14:44 pm »

I'm not that skilled at reading MC logs.  Yours is relatively enormous at 300,000+ lines.  Plus there's no "previous log".  Previous log is normally what happened before you pressed the "report problem" button.

Have you checked the system sound control panel for any weird options like sound processing, channel layout, or that kind of thing?  Is there an ASIO driver you can use?  Have you tried Direct Sound?  Just kind of throwing out ideas here; not sure if any of them will help or work.

Well, the log is long because it takes several minutes for the problem to rear its head. I can't just hit play and, boom, bug. Sorry.  :-\

The system audio control panel is good. I haven't tried other options, driver-wise. I thought HDMI meant you could only use WASAPI. No?

It feels like someone else reported such a problem before a couple weeks back. Or maybe that was you in another thread?

I distinctly remember using a timer to try to check if the progress runs fast sometimes but just couldn't notice anything so far.

It sure sounds weird. And this never happened before with MC 21?

Hm, nope! There's another one like me out there. I will reinstall MC21 and check to see if it happens and report back (tomorrow). Thanks.

Micah

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 07:18:57 am »

The system audio control panel is good. I haven't tried other options, driver-wise. I thought HDMI meant you could only use WASAPI. No?
That's not true.

gappie

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 09:09:46 am »

ive been seeing this using SoX resampling.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105946.msg741293.html#msg741293
are you using something like that?

:)
gab

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 09:52:20 am »

ive been seeing this using SoX resampling.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105946.msg741293.html#msg741293
are you using something like that?

:)
gab
Huh, I have been using SoX. I will disable it and check. Thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 03:13:17 am »

If you can confirm that the issue is isolated to using SoX, that would be helpful.

Otherwise, which kind of resampling do you guys perform? (source -> target rate would be helpful)
And, are you using cross-fade, or just which fade settings?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 08:52:03 am »

I think it is because of SoX... I haven't seen the error in a couple days now. Is there any further testing I can perform to help you?

Micah

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 04:59:09 pm »

As it is audio only, you can set the buffer much higher. I use 50 ms with multichannel audio + video and this syncs without problem.
So audio only 100 ms would be a lot easier for your PC. Upsampling doesn't make your audio better. When I record and mix CD's, it's 44.1 kHz I
deliver to the pressing company, as this is the highest for the CD medium. DVD is 48 kHz. BluRay goes a lot higher.
I never tried the new Sox, but I will do it for you.

bye
Pages: [1]   Go Up