INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd Memory Leak after upgrade to Win10  (Read 4034 times)

Diesel

Odd Memory Leak after upgrade to Win10
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:48:12 pm »

Upgraded from Win7 Ultimate x64 to Win10 Pro x64, and am having a weird memory leak issue with MC that didn't happen before the upgrade.

Audio hardware setup:
USB -> Kingrex UC384 -> Schiit Bifrost SPDIF
USB -> Schiit Bifrost USB

When using MC with the Kingrex as the output device, my virtual memory usage will gradually increase until it is exhausted and the system becomes unstable, and eventually crashes. Under typical usage, my system sits at about 41% virtual memory utilization, but when running MC with the Kingrex, it will climb to over 90% in under 10 minutes from a fresh boot.

Oddly, the virtual memory usage when using the Kingrex as the default audio device in Windows remains normal. It only starts increasing when running MC. I'm using 20, but I've installed 22 trial, and the behavior is the same, so I'm hesitant to purchase the upgrade.

With the Bifrost as the output device, virtual memory utilization remains normal.

Closing MC does not release the resources back to the system. The only recovery is to reboot the PC.

Current workaround is to use the Bifrost directly, but I'd prefer to resolve the issue with the Kingrex, as there's a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Odd Memory Leak after upgrade to Win10
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:22:34 am »

I don't think that's an MC problem. 

How much memory do you have installed?

Diesel

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 08:31:43 am »

16GB physical + 12GB static swap file

While I can't isolate the problem to be in MC, it *only* occurs when using MC.

As a test, I played the same set of files (mainly FLAC and ALAC, anywhere from 16/44 to 24/192, but leak in MC happens with any file type) in Foobar using as similar a setup to MC as possible (using WASAPI, same device settings, etc.) and no memory leak occurs.

I tried to isolate as many variables as possible before posting, but the memory leak only happens when using the Kingrex as the output device in MC.

Any suggestions on what else I can check?

Diesel

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 01:46:04 am »

Just wanted to follow up, as I *may* have found the culprit.

After MUCH troubleshooting, it seems the problem was isolated to exclusive access mode. Turns out that, even though I wasn't utilizing it, the problem lied in the Realtek drivers for my onboard sound card. I have an application that doesn't play nice with USB sound cards for some reason, and that was the only thing I kept the onboard card active for. However, because I wasn't playing audio through the onboard sound when I was experiencing the memory leak, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Uninstalled the Realtek drivers, and on reboot, the Microsoft drivers were automatically installed. The memory leak hasn't occurred with the MS drivers (yet), but to test, I reinstalled the Realtek drivers and the memory leak returned.

Although more limited in functionality, I don't need the additional features of the Realtek onboard card, since the nitpicky app only needs basic stereo output.

Edit: Nope... problem still persists. It's not isolated to MC, but any app trying to use exclusive access of *any* sound card installed on the system.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 10:20:52 am »

Thanks for the update. Have you noticed any other symptoms, such as problems with the settings app in win 10 (mine flashes and disappears but then runs well when you launch it again). I think something is stomping on memory related to audio playback, but I don't know what. I might try experimenting with uninstalling the Realtek drivers too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up