INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to do AND search for People?  (Read 2057 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
How to do AND search for People?
« on: July 29, 2003, 04:29:35 pm »

So I'm sitting here tagging all of my images with the People tag, and I decide to step back and see how this will work once I'm all done.

So I open up the People\Places\Events view scheme and I decide to see all pictures of my girlfriend. I click on her name and BAM, there they are. Nice.

Next I hold Ctrl and click on my name and BAM. All pictures that have either she or myself in them.

But then I want to view all the pictures that only have both of us in them. Now I'm stuck. The only thing I could come up with was to select all of the pictures with her in them, and then use the search wizard to then locate the files in that set that had me.

Not the most elegant of solutions.

I realize that it's probably too late in the 9.1 beta to do anything about this, but would it be at all possible to include some sort of AND modifier? Maybe a radio button at the top of the panes for AND and OR? Like I said, I know it's probably too late, but this seems like something that kind of cripples the power of the panes in this scenario.

sraymond

Re: How to do AND search for People?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 05:12:02 pm »

Doof,

I've commented on this numerous times...  if you do a serach on me, AND, OR, and APA, you'll get more than a few hits.

My suggestion was to implement an intelligent "AND/OR" that first matches AND (called Matching) and then matches OR (called Closely Matching).  Then there's a checkbox to select the Matching, Closely Matching, or Not Matching (not OR).  This is how APA works, and I find it extremely useful.  I even posted a screenshot of APA explaining this.

I haven't heard much (any?) interest in this from JRiver or from other users...

Scott-

Omni

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 06:39:22 pm »

DI haven't heard much (any?) interest in this from JRiver or from other users...

I distinctly remember all your posts about it and even your screenshot.  That image alone made me want to go out and buy APA on the spot which is a pretty neat trick considering I have nary a digital photo to speak of. :)

Anyway, I remember you getting user support.  JRiver probably just didn't respond to it because it would be like making a commitment, one which they knew they might not have time to honor.

The programmers at JRiver amaze me daily--I wish my software team worked as efficiently!  But changing the query logic at the whim of checkbox may be more complicated than it seems on the surface.

Omni

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 06:52:44 pm »

Scott,
I'm sorry but I don't remember.  I may have been gone.  Can you post a link?

It's probably not a tough change to make.

Thanks,

Jim

sraymond

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 07:23:35 pm »

Jim,

The post with the APA screenshot is here:  http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1058022656;start=4#4.  But it also talked about mixed search and tag mode, which I understand to be an unacceptable solution.

Another recent post is here:  http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1058896600;start=3#3, although I failed to answer some questions.

I hope this is doable, in some sense, although I fear it might be too revolutionary!

Scott-

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 10:02:30 pm »

HI Doof,

There is a trick I use to AND some properties like people, It is quite simple.

Just setup a view scheme with two (or three) columns of the same property. For example I have set up a view scheme with columns People / People / Places.
Now when you click on some name in the first people column (say Doof) the second column will get populated with all the people that share some picture with Doof. You should find your girlfriend there. Click on your girlfriend's name in  the second People column and BAM you only get the pictures with Doff AND his girlfriend (alot of them !:) )

You can do that with more than two instances of the same property.

Another trick I use: I have created a property called 'Subject' for my pictures just to tell the kind of picture it is. It has values such as : landscape, portrait, sunset, etc. plus I have added the following values: People 1, People 2, People 3, People Groups to help me find the number of people inside a picture. Together with the People property you can use this to narrow you research in a big database.  For example if you select "People/Doof and Subject/People 2" I bet you'll find the pictures of yourself with your girlfriend !

Hope this helps, Have a nice day,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Cmagic

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 01:12:36 pm »

BTW Doof,

did you try the above mentioned trick to do some AND search for People on your photo collection ?
Bob Marley (War)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 01:34:29 pm »

I haven't tried it. I did think of that, but then I realized that I would have to anticipate how many people I would ever want to search for in order to have enough columns. So it seemed kind of impractical.

Cmagic

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 01:54:29 pm »

Yep that's right but practicaly on my > 2000 photos what I'm often looking for is photos with say Mum with my bros or me with my son or my son with my wife or me with my son and my wife. I rarely need to name more that 3 people. It falls then in the group category where I can for example select my son, me and groups to see all photos with more than 3 people that include my son and I.

But you're right this is only a workaround.
Bob Marley (War)

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 01:59:47 pm »

Not sure if I'm missing something, but I was able to do an "and" by adding an advanced search twice, one for people = Clara and people = Maria. This found pictures of my daughter with my wife. I've got these images tagged as Maria, Clara.

[People]=[Maria] [People]=[Clara]

Does this help?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 02:04:51 pm »

Yeah, you can do that, but it's slow and tedious for something that could be as quick as holding down control and clicking on the list of people you want.

I guess for strict people searches, using just 3 or 4 columns of People could do the trick.

But if I wanted to see all pictures of me and my girlfriend diving in Florida during my Cave Diving class, then I would need:

Genre - People - People - Places - Events

which gets kind of crowded. Add sub-places (like which cave I was in for instance), or another person, and it gets really tight. Again, something that could be done with the search wizard, but something that could be really simple with a simple AND modifier.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2003, 02:39:54 pm »

Yeah, the current wizard is pretty tedious. I'd prefer something like the query builders available on a lot of Mac applications where you would get a pulldown of fields and a pull-down of modifiers and a pull-down of booleans and you just keep clicking an add button to create a more complicated search.

I'm not clear on what place genre has but skipping that it would be

people = you AND
people = girlfriend AND
place = caves NOT
subplace = cave 2 OR
subplace = cave 3

etc. Very easy to use an more importantly understand, even for newbies since the entire query is visible and directly editable.

For power users, having access to a full fledged sql statement would be even better since you'd have control of the nesting. But I don't know what language is used to query the database.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 06:36:42 pm »

I use Genre for things like "Diving" and then I use Sub-Genre for things like "Ice" "Wreck" and "Cave". I didn't mention the Sub-Genre in my example, though.

So for my example it would be:

Genre : Diving
Sub-Genre : Cave
Place : Florida
Year : 2003
Event : Intro to Cave Diving Class
Sub Place 1 : Peacock Spring
Sub Place 2 : Peacock 1
People : Doof
People : Doof's Girlfriend

That would actually be a realistic search for me, especially as my diving adventures continue and my photo collection grows. That's a lot of panes. In all honesty, right now, I'd probably skip year and sub-genre. Probably even Sub-place 1 & 2. But I can forsee a time when those other fields would become handy in a search like that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up