INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After the FAQs.......... I still have questions  (Read 1423 times)

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
  • Being is Important......... being important is not
After the FAQs.......... I still have questions
« on: July 28, 2003, 07:30:33 pm »

I want to upgrade to the latest version of MC9.......... I am currently using 9.0.161 and want to upgrade to 9.0.18.  I am wondering about a couple of things.
1)-Do I need to uninstall my older version before installing the new version.
2)- Do I need to do anything special to keep my current settings, tags, playlist, prefs, view schemes, etc?
3)-Is there a way to update without using a restore?
4)-Do I use a restore everytime that I request an installation key............and
if I save my install key in Windows Explorer as stated in the faqs............. it is still only good for 14 days, right?
5)- I dont understand exactly what this means (cut and pasted from the FAQ)
"If you have preserved your Registration Code you can restore your license indefinitely. You can also recover if you have your orginal e-mail (from buy-button @ jriver.com) and password. No other replacement license is available"
By "indefinately" it means as long as it is not more than 10 times a year, right? I have my registration code number................... but when I first got MC9 and installed it, I had a bunch of crashes and had to reinstall and used up 3 of my restores before I was able to get it to run correctly but I think that was a problem on my end. I just hope I don't run out before my year does ;o)............ I love the program, great job!!
Thanx for your time & input
Chasoscar

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: After the FAQs.......... I still have question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 07:54:13 pm »

want to upgrade to 9.0.18.

You mean 9.0.180, right?

1)-Do I need to uninstall my older version before installing the new version.

No.

2)- Do I need to do anything special to keep my current settings, tags, playlist, prefs, view schemes, etc?

No, but make a backup first just in case. (within MC, go to the File-->Library-->Backup library... menu)

3)-Is there a way to update without using a restore?

If you have it properly installed now, you won't need to use a restore; this is true even if you do a full uninstall first.

4)-Do I use a restore everytime that I request an installation key............and

Yes, but again, you won't need to request a key if
  • you are installing on the same computer as your previous MC 9.0 installation;
  • you have not reinstalled Windows; or
  • you have not been monkeying around with the registry.

if I save my install key in Windows Explorer as stated in the faqs............. it is still only good for 14 days, right?

Yes.

By "indefinately" it means as long as it is not more than 10 times a year, right?

I'm not sure, but they better bribe Webster into reprinting their definition of "indefinite" if that is not what they meant. :)  But don't take my word for it.  Wait for someone "official" to respond.

Omni

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
  • Being is Important......... being important is not
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 08:57:56 pm »

Thanx Omni
9.0.180, right? Yes
I think I had a problem previously because I had to revert to a Ghost image (with an earlier version of MC9)after I first upgraded MC.......... everything just started acting up.......... and somehow the settings got lost in the shuffle.
So what I need to do is................ backup, go to the DL site and dl the latest version and install it........... I wont even need to request a key right? Where do I enter my registration code or is that even necessary............... Am I making this to hard?
Thanx
Coscar

Omni

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 09:48:11 am »

Yeah, your registration key is stored in Windows' registry, so as long as you don't restore an old copy of the registry (like with Ghost, for instance :)), then the installation program will find it and not bother asking you for it again.

Be careful if you go directly to the FTP download site.  The "latest" version out there is actually 9.1.223 which is the beta for the upcoming v.9.1 release.  With that, you will lose all your view schemes, playlists, etc. because they changed (internally) the library.

Incidentally, v.9.1 is much better than v.9.0 in my opinion, but if you decide to upgrade to that, be sure to wait for today's release (v.9.1.224) because there is a major bug in yesterday's build:  the right-click context menu doesn't work.

Omni

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 09:56:19 am »

Just to be clear: you will not lose playlists when upgrading.

However view schemes will be reset because there have been a lot of changes to how they work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Omni

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 10:46:37 am »

Sorry.  Mea culpa.   8)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 05:40:56 am »