INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diamond Rio 500  (Read 1721 times)

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Diamond Rio 500
« on: July 27, 2003, 04:16:58 pm »

Can't seem to get my Rio 500 to work with MC 9.1.222. I downloaded the driver for XP from the sonicblue site, but when I try to open player in MC, I get a message that "Rio not found. Please check that drivers are installed and player is on." When I go to device manager and check the driver, there isn't one assigned, so it must be an XP issue, but wanted to see if anyone else had an idea.
Thanks.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Diamond Rio 500
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 05:54:29 pm »

PackyB,

Somewhere on Interact I have posted the instructions for how to uninstall whatever drivers are installed for Rio to get this working. I will find it at work tomorrow and repost it for you. The Plugin will install the drivers that are compatible with it, but they may not overwrite the drivers if something else is already present.

Steve

lOth

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 08:52:47 pm »

I will find it at work tomorrow and repost it for you.

Don't bother Steve, here it is:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1053520090

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 06:05:28 am »

IOth,

Thanks,

Steve

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 08:13:56 am »

I followed the steps to the point where I need to install the drivers from the MC plugin that I downloaded. In the XP Hardware Update wizard, I go to browse, C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Plugins\System Drive\Drivers\Rio USB but when I click ok, I get a message "The software that you are installing has not passed Windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing the installation of this software may impair or destabalize the correct operation of your system." Not sure what to do.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 08:21:56 am »

Go ahead.  It just means that Microsoft wasn't paid to "certify" the driver.

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 09:54:02 am »

After taking virtually all of the detailed steps, I have found myself back where I started. When I select the Rio in MC, I get the message "Rio not found. Please check that drivers are installed and player is on."

Here is what I did:

I disconnected the Rio. Uninstalled Rioport Audio Manager. Uninstalled the Media Device Manager. Deleted the specified registry keys. Verified that there were no "unknown devices" in the device manager.

The only variance from the instructions that I took were that there is no "Multimedia\Devices\Audio Compression Codecs" chain in my control panel, so I did not remove the Windows Media Audio codec(s). I looked under Control Panel\Sounds and Audio Devices\Hardware tab\Audio Codecs tab\Properties tab and see "Windows Media Audio," but I did not remove it, as I am unsure whether that is the same as the instructions dictated. Ideas?

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 02:21:21 pm »

packyb,

Don't worry about the codecs thing, I do not think it matters. If you are still stuck, you could try connecting with the software that came with the Rio to verify that there is not a hardware problem. The next thing to try would be repeat the steps in the instructions because it is easy to miss a step.

Sorry the instructions are complicated, you can thank Rio for that.

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 03:59:56 pm »

Hopefully this is my last question about this. I am not sure how to remove Media Device Manager - is there a specific location, or do I go to the System folder and find the 6 files and delete them? Also, when I run a search for "rio" on my computer, the applicable files seem to be in System 32 folder, as opposed to System. Is it ok to delete from there? Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 04:06:44 pm »

system on older OS's and system32 on newer.  Same thing, more or less.  If you're in doubt, rename them.

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 04:55:30 pm »

So just to be clear: if I delete each of the specified files from my System32 folder, that in effect deletes the Media Device Manager? Will this affect anything else on my system if I delete these files?

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2003, 05:51:15 am »

packyb,

The instructions, and the files to remove, are Rio's not ours so it is hard to say what effect they will have on your system. I can tell you that I have removed them many  many times and have not had any problems.

In regards to deleting the Media Device Manager, again, this is Rio's stuff so the best we can do is recommend the steps they give to remove themselves. Typically, drivers and software provide a less cumbersome, easier and more thorough way to remove themselves.  This is not the case here and I am sorry.

I know that our software works with the Rio drivers we include and I know that other drivers can cause problems.  I hope it works out for you.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up