INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hairstyle essentials  (Read 1485 times)

bennyd

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Project Leader
Hairstyle essentials
« on: July 28, 2003, 07:05:43 am »

- When starting TV from haistyle, the selected channel does not correspond with the one shown in hairstyle

- For ease of use I think pushing enter on eg an album or genre, should play that selection in stead of navigating into it

- For ease of use I think for images & video Thumbnails should by default show and for audio a list.
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Hairstyle essentials
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 07:18:14 am »

For ease of use I think pushing enter on eg an album or genre, should play that selection in stead of navigating into it

Then how would you navigate in with thumbnail mode?  Consistency and a five-button model are both important.

Maybe overriding "Play" inside Hairstyle, but then pausing becomes impossible so that isn't great either.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 07:36:58 am »

When working with the mouse, it's easy, because you just push PLAY and it starts playing werever your selection is at.

But on my TV I only have a remote control (girder controlled). What about a shortcut key that does the same action as teh PLAY button on hairstyle ? (and maybe shortcut keys for all other actions too in hairstyle, that would solve a lot of problems with remote controls)
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 09:07:36 am »

Jim suggested we list any simple changes for hairstyle since it does not now look like it's going to get the overhaul (in the short term anyway) that was intimated on recent threads.  Here are my suggestions - all of which should be very simple:

A definite hairstyle essential is the ability to make it stick in hairstyle mode rather than change to full screen mode.

It's not easy to navigate between playing now and media library in hairstyle mode.  There is a back button at the top of playing now but you can't see it if you've scrolled a long way down the list.  It would be useful to have a media library button on the left hand menu in playing now.

In fact it would be good to have media library available from the left hand menu at all times so you can easily navigate back to the beginning of the heirarchy without having to continually hit the back button.

Can we have a list of available hairstyle skins for the latest version of 9.1 or info on where to get them.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 09:26:26 am »

Jim suggested we list any simple changes for hairstyle since it does not now look like it's going to get the overhaul (in the short term anyway) that was intimated on recent threads.

Just to be clear, we did do a lot of changes after we said we would, but people still want more.

A definite hairstyle essential is the ability to make it stick in hairstyle mode rather than change to full screen mode.

How about using the option to start in Hairstyle?

It's not easy to navigate between playing now and media library in hairstyle mode.  There is a back button at the top of playing now but you can't see it if you've scrolled a long way down the list.  It would be useful to have a media library button on the left hand menu in playing now.

Left arrow always takes you back.  Will that work?

The Home and End editing keys might also help.

Can we have a list of available hairstyle skins for the latest version of 9.1 or info on where to get them.

We will include several when we release.  We haven't set up anything for downloading new ones yet, but that probably will happen.

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 09:48:06 am »

How about using the option to start in Hairstyle?
No, not really.  It's not getting it there that's the problem it's keeping it there.  I'd like to use hairstyle as a simple easy to use interface for friends and relatives but it's not so easy when it changes to full screen mode as it's not obvious why or how to return.
Left arrow always takes you back.  Will that work?
That helps but it's not very intuitive for others so I was just suggesting a simple quick win to an easier user interface that can easily toggle between what's playing and what's in the library.
The Home and End editing keys might also help.
Never thought of that - page up/down too.  Thanks.  Look forward to the new skins.

...and thanks for an unbelievably good program.  Glad to hear you are finalising 9.1 by sorting the few bugs that are left.  I agree with LisaRCT in that it really doesn't need much more enhancement.

sraymond

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 04:28:56 pm »

No, not really.  It's not getting it there that's the problem it's keeping it there.  I'd like to use hairstyle as a simple easy to use interface for friends and relatives but it's not so easy when it changes to full screen mode as it's not obvious why or how to return.

Why don't you turn off the "jump to full-screen on play" option - it's called "Auto Hide" in the setup menu?

Scott-

dkan24

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 06:36:19 pm »

Currently, there are two ways to move forward in a view scheme - either by pressing enter or by htting the right arrow button.  Why not make the enter key= play all below?  And the right arrow key can "drill down" into the next folder?

Also, a simple way to get back to the first page, and a simple way to go down a page when the list is long.  Right now, getting down to the "r"s takes a long time.

And finally, some indicator (within HS, not fullscreen) of what is playing now.  

Thanks,
Dan

sraymond

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 07:07:47 pm »

There have been many lists created of what we thought Hairstyle should include...  but I'll name the big three for me (off the top of my head):

- Player transports at the click-of-a-button...  when I'm watching a movie, how do I rewind a few seconds?  How do I fast-forward a few minutes?  The full-screen transports (the bars at the top and the bottom) are essentially useless on TV out - I certainly can't make out the progress bar or volume bar.

- Quick jump keys...  PN being the most useful.

- Easier (i.e. one-key) play of selected files.  Currently, I have to navigate down the tree, select the file, then back up to the left list and select Play (if it isn't already selected).  I echo the sentiment that <Enter> could play everything currently displayed - unless specific files are selected with the space bar.

Scott-

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 12:50:28 am »

The fact is Hairstyle is NOT user friendly unless you can use Transport controls on a remote (that Hairstyle reports) and the use of the TAB key to jump between sections. Up, Down, Left, Right and Enter are not enough. You need Tab to easily jump between file list and MC Controls.

Enter key needs revising on it's function.  It never seems to do what people think it will.

Also, I agree that Jumping to MC9 when hitting enter is not good. When you go into Hairstyle, it should stay in Hairstyle.  For that to happen though you'll need an option to toggle between Fullscreen display of Video/Tv/DVD and Hairstyle.

Regards

Vic
Pages: [1]   Go Up