INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server, Clients, Zones and Streaming  (Read 2537 times)

elo

• Junior Woodchuck
Server, Clients, Zones and Streaming
« on: October 31, 2016, 03:48:17 pm »

I have used MC for years but never been able to create the same enthusiasm in the family as I have (I am a audiophile). I am looking for the following functionality (perhaps it is already there and I am simply not aware of it):

• Using one central server in the house running on a dedicated windows PC. The server is linked up to a NAS hosting all media for the family. Available!
  • Having several Windows machines in the house each running a local instance of MC. Available!
  • Ability to control each client from a mobile phone/tablet and play locally from the server.

This will enable members of my family to easily control what to play and watch in the rooms of the house where there is a Win PC online with MC running.

If the player was available under OS like FreeBSD, FreeNAS, Kodi etc a very low cost high quality streaming system could be set up. (As an example the Rasberry PI 3 could be used)

If I could set up a zone for each location at the server, the functionality is there in Gizmo. However I can't find out how to link the zone to a  MC instance running on a remote (to the server) machine. This functionality is available in most commercial streaming systems today.

Anyone able to offer some advice on this??

Generally I hope that the development of MC put more focus streaming and the user interface (ease of use and setup). This would bargin for a streaming system with a technical quality no other system can show today and I think also lead to a greater commercial impact through better market penetration.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Server, Clients, Zones and Streaming
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 05:33:44 pm »

All 3 on your list are possible.  MC has a set of features called Media Network.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

The wiki also has a topic on zones.

elo

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Server, Clients, Zones and Streaming
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 05:54:51 pm »

Thanks Jim. Yes I know that it was number three but I found out ....

Setting up to use the central library
Set the client up as a server .. then it can be controled by Gizmo etc
Stay away from DNLA  ;D

Not very intuitive but.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up