INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error starting Engen  (Read 12053 times)

quovadis

• Recent member
Error starting Engen
« on: November 23, 2016, 11:11:08 pm »

Just bought Gen 5 Stick, Leviton Scene Capable Plug-in Module, and Engen.

I've fiddled with this for a couple of hours and continually get "Error starting Engen. Check that Z-stick is installed and functioning."

I'm pretty certain that it is installed correctly and that the Leviton Module is paired.

Z-stick shows up on Com 3, and when I run IMAT Tools, I believe the problem is not with the Z stick. Note that I've tried multiple different USB ports. Can you please advise?   

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Error starting Engen
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 06:43:38 am »

Welcome to the forum.

Is the Z Stick plugged into a powered USB port?  A hub may not work.

If you have another PC, please try it.

You should not need to pair the Z Stick with anything in order to get Engen running.

Is it possible you're trying to start it a second time?

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:49:23 am »

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm pretty sure the Z-stick was plugged into a powered port. I've tried every port on my computer, except for one that I know is not powered, and still encounter the same problem.

I'm trying it on another PC now.

Hmmm. Not sure what you mean "trying to start it a second time?" That seems possible since Ive installed and reinstalled several times. Could you clarify that point?  In the meantime, I'll see if we can get it running on another PC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 06:52:14 am »

When you install it, Engen should be started.  Look in the lower right corner for the Engen icon.  Click on it for options.

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 07:28:22 am »

OK. I installed Engen on second PC, Z-Stick Gen 5 USB inserted, Drivers Updated, and I get the same message.  With this error message still up, I right click on Engen icon in right lower corner and see several options -- show web page, open client terminal information, etc.  None of these seems to be very helpful when I click on them -- e.g. "open client terminal information gives message" "this App can't run on your PC. To fina a version for your PC, check with the software publisher". Suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 08:29:26 am »

What OS?

Are you installing with admin privileges?

Are you running antivirus software?  Which?  Same on both PC's?

You could try resetting the Z Stick.

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000121947-how-to-factory-reset-z-stick-gen5-

Did you install Engen 1.0.36?

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107641.0.html :'(

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 10:36:25 am »

OS on first machine: Windows 10 Pro, version 1607; on the second Windows 8.

I'll focus on the Windows 10 Pro machine (a CAPS build).

I have installed as administrator.

Antivirus Software is Windows Defender, which I just turned off in between un-installing and re-installing Engen 1.0.36. I still get the same message.

I've reset the device and restarted computer; still same message.

Using the Z-Wave PC Controller the following the Log reflects the following:
11:34:06.038: Exception: CmdZWaveEnableSuc is not implemented in the Z-Wave Device
11:34:06.356: SecurityManager.Init 60 24 38 46 16 50 74 C4 80 D9 10 A8 30 5B 90 08

Is any of this helpful? 

I have a Mac sitting around, could I install on that?

Other suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:08:07 pm »

Does the Z Stick work with any other software?  The link I gave above referred to test software, but I am not familiar with it.  Could be worth a look.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 12:51:40 pm »

It happens that I have a new laptop running Win10.  I downloaded 1.0.36 and while it was downloading, inserted the Z Stick.  No new driver was installed.

I ran Engen setup and it loaded normally and put the icon in the Notification Area.

It's working.

So all I can think of are these:
1.  A bug in Engen that I haven't seen.
2.  A bug in the Z Stick driver that you installed.
3.  A defective Z Stick.  Was it new?
4.  Some other helpful "security" software running (on both your PC's).

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 09:53:28 pm »

Thanks for your help and for checking it out on your new laptop running Win10.

I downloaded and installed Axial Control Software (formerly InControl), and it is working like a charm, so the problem does not appear to be the Z Stick (which is brand new) or a Z stick driver bug. The Aeon software tool gives it a green light as well. See attached screen shots. So something's amiss with Engen setup on my computer(s).

Any other suggestions?

Since I'm an avid JRiver MC user, I'd love to be able to use Engen, but if we ultimately can't get this to work, could I get a refund?

Thanks again for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 06:41:28 am »

Yes, but it's really puzzling.  Thanks for the helpful information.  I've asked Gene, our developer, to take a look at this thread.  We're off until Monday.

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 09:15:56 am »

Thanks. I'm happy to continue to work with you and developer to sort this out. I'd love to get Engen working on my system and am in no rush for refund...only if we can't get it to work.

One thing that came to mind as I was doing the setup for Axial Control Server was that it seemed to take a while for the program to find the Com Port  (6) with the Z-wave Stick. Maybe Engen times out the process too soon?  Or could there be a way for Engen setup to select the Com Port with the Z-wave stick directly (this was an option given with the Axial Control Setup)? I know very little about this sort of thing --- thought I'd just throw it out there.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 07:27:45 am »

The Z-Stick draws more power than most USB devices. Try using a powered USB hub.

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 08:22:44 pm »

Thanks.  If I can find one, will give it a try.  I'd think, though, that it wouldn't work with other programs if that were the case.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 06:04:21 pm »

I talked with Gene (linutic) about this today.  He said that we may be looking for the Z Stick on port 4 and above.  He will check.

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 07:48:33 pm »

OK. Here's a screenshot of Device Manager USB (Com6) Properties. This is working with the Z-Stick for Axial Server software. 

linutic

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 06:42:00 pm »

I have spent the afternoon attempting to reproduce what you are seeing on my Windows 7 development machine, and I haven't been able to do so.   I have some questions and a request.

One of your postings contains the following Log fragment:

11:34:06.038: Exception: CmdZWaveEnableSuc is not implemented in the Z-Wave Device
11:34:06.356: SecurityManager.Init 60 24 38 46 16 50 74 C4 80 D9 10 A8 30 5B 90 08

That looks like nothing in the Engen log.   Where did it come from?   Is it possible you have some other Z-Stick software installed that might be interfering with Engen?

Since you are using the AEON IMA Tool, I'm guessing you are using the AEON Model ZW090-A stick, advertised as the Gen5 Z-Stick.  Is that correct?

Have you made sure that you are not trying to use the IMA Tools and Engen at the same time?  A serial port is an exclusive access device.  Only one program can use it at the same time.

You must have the right driver installed, or the IMA Tools would not work.  I'm using a COM port driver that Windows calls: Sigma Designs, 6/10/2013 0.0.4.0.   What are you using?

When you have had trouble, have you considered powering off your computer, letting it sit for 10 seconds, then powering back up again?   The Z-Sticks do get hung sometimes, and for me a power cycle with a 10 second wait always seems to clear them.

Could you please clear all the log files in the Engen log directory (there can be 4 of them) then power cycle and attempt to bring up Engen?   The logs show the progress of the Z-Stick driver when it is trying to find the COM port where the Z-Stick resides, then again when it attempts to use the device.  Please uninstall or disable any other software that might access the Z-Stick before doing this.  Also do not attempt to use the AEON IMA tool. I suggest you try this a couple times, until it starts working, or you get a consistent looking failure in the log files.   If failures continue, please post the logs here.

Thanks for your efforts and your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

Gene

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 09:02:43 pm »

Thanks for checking this out.

1. Re: Log Fragment -- This was from Aeon IMA Tool, and the posting was from relatively early on in my troubles.

2. Re Z-Stick Model number. Yes it is AEON Model ZW090-A..

3. Re: IMA Tools and Engen. I am not using them at the same time.

4. Re: driver: it is Sigma Designs, 06/10/2013, version 0.0.4.0, same as yours.

5. I've uninstalled, powered off, reinstalled Engen (with antivirus software turned off), powered off, waited 10 seconds, powered up, etc....still get the same message. I don't see log files that have been generated.

6. Lastly, I've tried a separate powered up as last ditch effort (now UZB on com 8 rather than com 6) -- still same message.

7. All of the above done after uninstalling Axial Control, which works fine on my computer with the Z-stick Gen 5.

I'm open to other ideas....

linutic

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 03:22:42 pm »

It sounds like the problem is that the Engen service is not starting up at all, which is strange.  In your statement:

... I don't see log files that have been generated.

Are you saying that after you cleared out all the log files (if there were any) in:
     c:\ProgramData\J River\Engen 1\Logs
no new log files appeared?   None at all?

If that is true, then something else may be wrong, please also check out Log.txt in:
    c:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Engen 1

Please post all the log files you find in both of these locations.

Thanks again for your patience.

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »

I agree. I don't think the Engen service is starting up. Maybe this will help:

1. When I look for  c:\ProgramData\J River\Engen 1\Logs, the folder "JRiver" is not found in Program Data (screenshot attached).

2. Also note that after I get the message window "Error starting Engen. Check that a Z0Stick is installed and functioning," and before I click "OK", if I right click on the Engen symbol in the task bar, I'm offered the option to "Open log files folder". When I click that option, I'm taken to C:\Users\Nathan\Documents\, and there is a JRiver folder, but the only subfolders present are Media Center 20, Media Center 21, and Media Center 22.

3. I've posted the log file that I find at   c:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Engen 1.

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 07:48:19 pm »

It's possible that something on your machine is preventing creation of the folder.  Try making one manually.

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 09:13:40 pm »

Done. I still don't see a log file showing up in the folder though.

JohnT

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 01:47:06 pm »

To see if the service is running, go into task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Escape) and select the Services tab.  Then look for an entry with the name "JRiverEngen".  If it's running, it should look like below:

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

BradATIMA

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 02:17:27 pm »

Are you running a 32-bit system? One of your screenshots is missing the "Program Files (x86)" folder. You can check if you go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> System. It will tell you at "System type."

JohnT

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 02:40:19 pm »

Most likely the problem is that you're running on 32-bit Windows and our Engen build isn't working on that platform - Gene reproduced the problem on a 32-bit Windows machine.  We'll get that fixed and do a new build either later today or Monday.  Thanks for your assistance in debugging!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 04:42:29 pm »

Good deal. Indeed, mine is a 32-bit operating system, so hopefully the new build will do the job. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 05:24:48 pm »

quovadis,
You get a Great Customer award for being so patient and thorough in your reporting of this problem.

Thanks!

Jim

BradATIMA

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 09:13:00 am »

quovadis,

I sent you a private message on this forum with a link to a test build that should work on 32-bit systems.

Brad

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 10:38:53 am »

Thanks.   Will try it this pm.

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 09:19:15 pm »

Works great. Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 06:47:50 am »

Good news.  Thanks again for your patience and reporting.

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 07:28:50 am »

I really like the interface --- far better than the competitors I tried. It was worth the hassle.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 08:33:22 am »

The GUI?  Panel?  Or the programming interface?

quovadis

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 10:30:14 pm »

While we were sorting out the issue with Engen, I tried several other options listed at the Z-Stick Gen5 Quick Start Guide website. Some were too cumbersome to set up (e.g. Domotiga, Open HAB), and the one that was easy to set up (InControl...name subsequently changed to Axial Control) worked fine, but compared to Engen, it was slower to respond and the interface was not as slick. Also, for the free version that I was using, you could not control from other computers on LAN.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 06:28:26 am »

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up