INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Now locks onto local zone on startup  (Read 3702 times)

Rrolack

• Recent member
Playing Now locks onto local zone on startup
« on: December 31, 2016, 01:37:56 pm »

I have two zones in my JRiver library.  One of these is a local zone (let's call this "Sound Card"), and the other is a dynamic zone (let's call this "External Device").

What I'm trying to accomplish is: in the Standard View, if I play a song in either zone, for Playing Now to show what's being played.

To make it do this, I:

• Use Split View > Show 2 Views
  • Click on the right-hand view
  • Go to Player > Playing Now > Show Playing Now.  The right hand view now displays "Playing Now" at the top
  • Click on the left-hand view

At this point, if I click on either zone in the tree (Sound Card or External Device), and play a song, Playing Now will show what's being played.  Basically, it "follows the active zone."  This is exactly the desired behavior.

The problem I'm having is this.  If I close and reopen JRiver, the right view now shows "Sound Card" rather than "Playing Now" at the top.  At this point, if I choose External Device from the tree, and play a song, the right view does not show what's playing.  That is to say, Playing Now no longer follows the active zone.  Rather, it's locked onto the Sound Card zone.

How can I get Playing Now to maintain its "follow the active zone" behavior through a restart?  I'll mention that I tried View > Split View > Lock View 2, but that didn't do the trick.

Rrolack

• Recent member
Re: Playing Now locks onto local zone on startup
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:35:49 pm »

Bump - any word on how to resolve this issue?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:17:23 pm »

Bump - any word on how to resolve this issue?

Does the Playing Now Overview help you achieve what you want?

Rrolack

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 01:18:05 am »

Does the Playing Now Overview help you achieve what you want?

If you're referring to the wiki pages here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Playing_Now

unfortunately, those pages do not help address the issue.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:57:06 am »

No, I am talking about the Overview view that simultaneously shows what's playing in each zone.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 07:05:43 am »

No, I am talking about the Overview view that simultaneously shows what's playing in each zone.
Click on Playing Now.

Rrolack

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 09:40:20 am »

Okay, I see what you mean.  The Playing Now Overview is not what I'm looking for.

The behavior I'm trying to get is to have a single Playing Now, where regardless of which zone I later play a song in, Playing Now shows what's playing.  That is to say, it switches to the right zone intelligently when I click Play.

For example, if I navigate to Player > Playing Now > Show Playing Now, I get exactly this.  The issue is that after a restart, Playing Now will no longer switch to my dynamic zone.  For some reason, its behavior was changed by the restart.

To be really specific, I will ask:

- Is the ability for Playing Now to "switch to the right zone" something that it's intended to be able to do?  Or am I asking for something that's not intended or can't be done?
- If Playing Now is intended to have this ability, but it doesn't retain this ability through a restart, is this a bug?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 10:09:40 am »

Take a look at MC's options for what happens when you play.  Tools > Options > General > Behavior.

Rrolack

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 01:22:21 pm »

Take a look at MC's options for what happens when you play.  Tools > Options > General > Behavior.

It looks like the closest option there is Behavior > Jump on play (audio) > Playing Now.  However, this is also not right.  I'm using a Split View with 2 views, with panes on the left, and Playing Now on the right.  When I choose something on the left side, if "Jump on play (audio) > Playing Now" is selection, the left side jumps to Playing Now.  What I'm trying to make happen, and what does happen in my example before a restart, is for the right pane to be Playing Now.

Rrolack

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 01:10:04 pm »

After a few weeks with no solution found, I'll chalk this up as a bug which can't be worked around.  Please consider this post as a request for a fix.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 03:56:35 pm »

Search options for "start in last location". 

Rrolack

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 04:32:06 pm »

Search options for "start in last location".

The startup location is already set to "Last Location".  This isn't the answer unfortunately.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »

Hmmmm...

I'm not sure what is going on, but I've been having trouble on my machine at home lately with the Zone changing all by itself. I think it happens when I update the builds (but that could be just closing and restarting MC).

I have a number of local zones on the machine. Right now, because most of my gear is in storage, the PC is hooked up only directly to a HDTV via HDMI (using the TVs built in speakers). This is terrible, obviously, and requires special settings in MC to make it tolerable. So, I have a TV Speakers Only local playback Zone, which has all of the stuff set to make it so it works at an acceptable volume level and whatnot.

Lately... It keeps switching back to other local zones all by itself. I haven't figured out exactly what triggers it, but I think it is EITHER (1) restarting MC entirely, or (2) installing new builds. I could be wrong, but I don't remember MC resetting local zones by itself like this previously.

In any case, it is annoying... And I think it is related to the request here (though perhaps sticking on a network zone was never possible).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up