INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Closing RDC cuts music  (Read 2684 times)

garyi

• Recent member
Closing RDC cuts music
« on: January 02, 2017, 02:22:25 pm »

Hi Folks

Just bought this app for windows, loving it so far. However I have a largish issue. I have remote desktop set up to log into the windows pc with JRiver on, for set up and the likes, obviously I want a headless player in this context.

My session is defo set to play on the remote PC. And when connected music plays out of my speakers just lovely.

As soon as I cut the RDP session, the music stops and my remote app on IOS even though it says something is playing, nothing is happening.

The Rriver is set to output to my dac and is showing in the audio output section, so really I am a bit flummoxed here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Closing RDC cuts music
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 02:28:19 pm »

You could try another remote program.  Or try an Internet search for similar problems with that one.

Could you use JRemote instead?

garyi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 02:32:42 pm »

Well, I suppose so, I am trying to configure and what have you and RDP is very good for that. I am not getting this issue with spotify running on the same pc.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 03:31:06 pm »

Are you talking about the Windows Remote Desktop application? If so, that application has a setting where you determine if the audio is rerouted to the remote PC or not. It's best not to. And in my experience after running Windows Remote Desktop you may still need to reboot the target PC (in particular if you both audio and video output over HDMI..)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

garyi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 04:56:32 pm »

Hi, yeah I am quite versed in Remote Desktop, but sadly something between it and JRiver is not happy as even with 'play on remote PC' is et it still cuts the sound. However have followed advice and installed a VNC server, sad to have to have another thing running on the PC but its headless so I need to know whats going on.

So its all going well now but I have a couple of questions if anyone is able to help?

Spotify
I have spotify running on the headless pc as well so I can use the spotify connect feature to play through my hifi. I think that I have set JRiver to hog the output device or something as no sound comes from spotify?

My cunning plan therefore was to set another output device as default in the normal windows audio settings. The plan being that I specify what the output is in JRiver but allow spotify to flow out the default. However this has not worked.

Has anyone else got a solution in place for multiple audio outputs for windows? On mac I am sure there was an app where you could direct audio out of various output devices.

DSD
I have a DSD capable dac. I did have a play with RuneAudio which was able to detect DSD and play it 'natively', all other tunes would play back in their own formats. In JRiver I dont seem to be able to do that, I either set every thing to 2xDSD or not at all. Is there not a way for JRiver to detect when its DSD and set the output appropriately?

Cheers!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 02:23:23 am »

Please start a new thread for new topics.

WASAPI has a setting for Exclusive mode.  If it is set, no other software can use the audio device. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:13:16 am »

Could this be because, by default, Remote Desktop leaves the remote screen at the user login screen when the remote user disconnects?

In order to get around this issue here, I use the attached bat file, executed on the remote machine, to end the session, which leaves the remote machine logged on, as it was at the time the Remote Desktop session was initiated.

The bat file contains the following command:
tscon.exe 1 /dest:console

See here also:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106661.msg746093.html#msg746093
Pages: [1]   Go Up