INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions regarding features  (Read 2845 times)

VJ

• Recent member
questions regarding features
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:04:29 am »

Hello,

I'm working on my htpc setup, and am looking at JRiver Media Center. So far, I'm using a mix of programs and am hoping to find one solution that supports what I want... I use the htpc to playback dvd/blueray/recorded tv programs and ripped videos with external subtitles.
This is my list of requirements:
  • Audio output that sends the output signal as the number of speakers in the source
  • TV recording
  • EDL support
  • Addons for some tv channels/internet services, just like some smart TVs have
  • Squeezebox
  • MadVR
  • http/eventghost control
From what I gather, MadVR is no problem and it seems there is a http interface and even a plugin in Eventghost to interact with MC.
About the other points:

The audio output I suspect requires WASAPI. I'm currently using MPC-HC as playback software, with MPC-BE as audio renderer, but this fails to correctly follow the number of channels and I'm still trying to work out why. Kodi is capable of this, but does not support MadVR. So is this possible with MC?

My TV recordings (DVB-T) are currently made using NPVR. It also creates EDL files (using Comskip) to detect commercials. While MPC-HC reads EDL files, the possibilities with them are limited. Can MC record from a DVB-T tuner? And can it be somehow set to create an EDL (or equivalent) file that identifies the commercials? And can that file be used in playback (e.g. are the commercials indicated on a seek bar, can you easily skip them, etc...)?

Are there some addons for TV channels, to make the system look a bit like a smart TV? Some channels here have their own apps on smart TVs, which allows one to view content on demand. Kodi has some of them as addons. Are there similar things for MC?

For music playback, I use a Squeezebox. It would be nice if MC could interact with this, though I'll admit this is not high on my list.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jörg

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: questions regarding features
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:10:49 am »

There is a TV board here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,11.0.html

I believe DVB-T works but search there.  What country are you in?

The wiki has an Audio Setup topic (and others) that describes WASAPI, ASIO, etc.

MC supports Comskip.

Squeezebox -- take a look at Whitebear.

madVR is supported in MC's Red October setting for video.

There is a full featured trial version on the Download Page.  You're going to need to try it to be sure.

VJ

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:53:22 am »

Thanks for the reply!

I know I will have to try it, but I would like not to have to start looking for it all when the trial period starts. 30 days is not that long (not a criticism!), but if I have to then start looking what may or may not be possible, I may run out of time. So when I start the trial, I already want to have a bit of a resource to start from. :-)

DVB-T: I'm in Poland, using a quite standard Compro E900f, which has BDA drivers for Windows 10.

I browsed the audio topic, but could not find if it supports adjusting the speaker layout that is sent to the audio device to the source that is played back. E.g. if you play back a stereo source, then it should send a stereo signal to the amplifier (not a 5.1 signal with the missing channels silent and not an upmixed signal). Is this possible?

Great to see it supports comskip. How does it handle edl files: how is the data contained in them used? (do parts show up as chapters? Does jrmc just use them for playback without interaction? ...)

Whitebear is indeed an option for the Squeezebox... as are some other upnp plugins for lms. :)

Thanks,

Jörg

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:14:12 am »

I browsed the audio topic, but could not find if it supports adjusting the speaker layout that is sent to the audio device to the source that is played back. E.g. if you play back a stereo source, then it should send a stereo signal to the amplifier (not a 5.1 signal with the missing channels silent and not an upmixed signal). Is this possible?
yes, there is an option to mix to a stereo target if the source is stereo or you can use separate zones with different output formats (and setup zoneswitch rules to route different content to different zones automatically)

VJ

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 04:13:14 am »

I'm not sure I get the seperate zones... I do not mean a multiroom setup...

Is it possible to have the setting that when you play a stereo source; it sends stereo (just 2 channels, not 5.1 with 4 silent channels) over hdmi, but when you play a 5.1 source, it sends 5.1? This is a feature of WASAPI, and e.g. in Kodi this setting is called "Best match" in the audio output configuration. I cannot get it to work in MPC-HC which also supports Wasapi, so I want to know if MC is capable of this.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:16:31 am »

Is it possible to have the setting that when you play a stereo source; it sends stereo (just 2 channels, not 5.1 with 4 silent channels) over hdmi, but when you play a 5.1 source, it sends 5.1? This is a feature of WASAPI, and e.g. in Kodi this setting is called "Best match" in the audio output configuration. I cannot get it to work in MPC-HC which also supports Wasapi, so I want to know if MC is capable of this.

Just set output to WASAPI Exclusive mode and disable mixing, and it'll do that just fine.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

VJ

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:23 am »

Thanks... (for some reason, this fails on MPC-HC)

I also found in the change log that EDL data is displayed on the OSD. So basically it seems I really should try JRiver... :) Now quite busy, but for sure I will give it a try.

Thanks again,

Jörg

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 02:30:22 am »

I'm not sure I get the seperate zones... I do not mean a multiroom setup...
Multiroom is one use of zones but it is not the only one, probably more common is to apply different DSP studio configuation according to some tag based rules.

VJ

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 06:15:48 am »

Ah,ok... Sorry, I did not know that and thought zones was just a multiroom thing. Interesting to know!
Pages: [1]   Go Up