INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep Cover Art in Action Window  (Read 3540 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Keep Cover Art in Action Window
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:56:52 pm »

I want my cover art to always show up in the Action Window (lower left corner of MC) but every time I select it, it always goes away the next time MC is loaded.

How do I make it stay put?

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

Re: Keep Cover Art in Action Window
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:14:35 pm »

Bump.

Can this be done?
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:32:16 pm »

I just tested playback of a couple albums, exiting MC (but not Media Server) in between and it worked as you expect.

I started from Audio > Genre.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 01:07:48 pm »

I don't understand. Not sure what you mean by "worked as you expect". Can you clarify?

Did the cover art stay or not for you after a restart?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:04 pm »

Yes, it stays.

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:36 pm »

Ah... FANTASTIC  :D

One BIG but...
Does it stay after a Windows restart?

For me it always resets to the default Action Window (text only, no cover art) anytime I Exit MC (with or without a Windows restart).

You also mentioned
exiting MC (but not Media Server)
I'm using MC on a single PC so am I running a Media Server? All I see in the File menu is the Exit choice (no mention of a Media Server).

Could the absence of a Media Server be the problem I'm having with the dissapearring cover art in the Action Window?

Thanks for your help on this one, it has been a very long time irritant & will be most wonderful once resolved.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »

I set my view up like yours to test for you...

Works as you want (Image showing) when going from MC open-close-open. However I do have MC set to "Run Media Server" on windows startup (Tools>Options>Startup>Windows Startup) so each time I closed MC the "Media Server" is continuing to run in the background.
PS. If you're running Media Server there will be an MC icon on the taskbar.

But when restarting computer, the Tag Window loses the "Image" and reverts back to its normal menu of items.

So, I guess it won't work as you desire if you restart the computer.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 03:50:37 pm »

Hi CountryBumkin.

We are getting closer to a fix (I hope).

Looks like Media Server IS the problem (for me).
1: See: JPG of my settings.
2: Although I have "Start Playing Current Playlist" checked, the playlist will not play upon MC re-start when either Media Server is checked.
3: The Current Playlist WILL play upon MC re-start when either Media Server is NOT checked.
4: The Current Playlist WILL play upon Windows  re-start when ANY of the items checked.

Sooo... it seems that there is something wrong with Media Server to cause all this weirdness.

Also, as I'm running a single PC with no client, I should not have to run Media Server at all. I usually run it as "None".

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 04:01:46 pm »

Hi CountryBumkin.

We are getting closer to a fix (I hope).

Looks like Media Server IS the problem (for me).
1: See: JPG of my settings.
2: Although I have "Start Playing Current Playlist" checked, the playlist will not play upon MC re-start when either Media Server is checked.
3: The Current Playlist WILL play upon MC re-start when either Media Server is NOT checked.
4: The Current Playlist WILL play upon Windows  re-start when ANY of the items checked.

Sooo... it seems that there is something wrong with Media Server to cause all this weirdness.

Also, as I'm running a single PC with no client, I should not have to run Media Server at all. I usually run it as "None".

The machine I'm using for this test, is also a stand-alone Server (no Client) but I run Media Server because I have TV recordings scheduled so it has to run Media Server when MC is closed.

Why don't you leave your computer running? You could still require a password when it comes out of screen saver - if its the security that worries you. Leaving it running doesn't cost anymore than leaving a 40w nightlight burning - and many geeks say it's better for the computer's life to leave it running (i.e. it's the heating up and cooling down cycles from shutting off and restarting that wears out a computer).

DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 04:36:50 pm »

The machine I'm using for this test, is also a stand-alone Server (no Client) but I run Media Server because I have TV recordings scheduled so it has to run Media Server when MC is closed.
Most interesting... I too have TV schedules set up all over the place but they only record when MC is loaded. I do have the computer on 7 days a week (with MC running) except from 11 PM to about 7 AM which in my area is mostly duplicates of shows that have already been recorded so I really don't want them.

It looks to me like there is a flaw in Media Server that effects users that have Media Server turned on but don't really have a client. This flaw is as follows...

1: With "Start Playing Current Playlist" checked, the playlist will not play upon MC re-start when Media Server is checked.
2: Cover Art WILL re-load upon MC startup ONLY with Media Server checked.
3: Cover Art will NOT re-load upon Windows startup with Media Server is checked.

I actually tried loading Media Server separately in Windows Startup way ahead of loading MC (via Startup Delayer) to see if having Media Server running before MC would help... no joy there either.

Media Server should not be required just to have Cover Art automatically show up in the Image Window.

I believe this needs to be fixed as it appears to be a flaw for users that run Media Server but do not actually have a client.

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 01:54:04 pm »

BUMP.

I really don't want to leave my computer on 24/7.

Any chance we can get a real fix for this rather than a work-a-round?

This one has been bugging me for years.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 07:13:53 pm »

This is a recording:  Computers last longer when they are left on all the time.

I don't understand this obsession with turning off computers all the time.  Computers last longer when they are left on all the time.  Ask anyone in IT.  Ask anyone who runs a computer lab.  Look in any computer lab and see all the computers running all the time.  This is a recording.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 07:18:10 pm »

Computers last longer when they are left on all the time.
I haven't seen anything that supports this (or the contrary).  Do you know of any studies?

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 07:49:46 pm »

I've worked in IT for quite a long time.  More than 20 years.  Everyone I know in IT agrees.  It's a matter of experience.  Your isolated experience with 5 or 10 PCs over 20 years doesn't really compare to someone who maintains hundreds of PCs over a few years.

Could I be wrong?  Certainly.  If so, every IT person I know is also wrong in this respect.  Ask Glynor.  He probably has an educated opinion on this and is certainly an IT professional.

What's the reason?  It's rather simple really.  Every time you power cycle a computer, it experiences transients.  Voltage changes from low to high, some of which might be a little higher than normal.  It's a change in environment for the electronics.  Every spike has the potential to damage something.  Capacitors, inductors, and especially chips.  Integrated circuits (chips) are by far the most sensitive pieces in most computer boards.

Again, ask anyone who knows.  Constant power equals longer lasting computers.

Brian.

Brian.

DocLotus

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 08:56:18 pm »

Yes, all true... to a point.

Much of that WAS very true 20-25 years ago when the power switch actually was a power on/off switch that killed ALL power to the computer. The switch was often on the front of the computer and was hard-wired into the 120 volt line & the power supply (I used to build computers when they were all mostly desktops).

NOT so true today, as that has all changed starting with Win 95 or thereabouts.  Now days, pressing the power button on the front of a desktop only puts the computer in standby mode with low power always on the motherboard so much less or very little voltage transients occur.

The only way to kill all power (and cause those voltage on/off transients) on most desktops today is to flip the switch on the back of the power supply or actually pull the 120 volt plug out of the wall or the PS. But, power supplies are much more sophisticated today with their better voltage transient protection (they use a "soft" on\off power that comes on & goes off slowly) so even then there is much less likelihood of damage occurring.

Either way we are getting off the subject here.

I just want a real fix to the problem at hand as I've described.

Thanks all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up