INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Properties *auto select all files* suggestion  (Read 1973 times)

gkerber

Properties *auto select all files* suggestion
« on: July 21, 2003, 09:20:14 am »

In the tree view of 9.0 and 9.1, if I click on an item, lets say an artist, and then click the properties button, I get the properties window which says "no files selected".  

Logically, if I click on an artist in the tree, or the panes and select properties, I woud like it to assume I mean all the files for that artist.  I can't remember for sure, but I think that's how v8 worked.

And, the threshold for changing files is VERY LOW. it's annoying to have to say OKAY when changing a property on about 20-30 files and having to say that yes, I really mean it....  I know there is some discussion as to what the threshold should be, I feel another option coming on....

If I have a number of files highlighted, and select properties and change some field, as soon as I go to the next field to change, it actually does the update, and asks me if it's okay (for large file counts).

Again, shouldn't the properties window let me make all the changes I want and then commit when I exit the properties window, rather than anytime I change fields?

Comments?

jleerigby

Re: Properties *auto select all files* suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 10:01:54 am »

In the tree view of 9.0 and 9.1, if I click on an item, lets say an artist, and then click the properties button, I get the properties window which says "no files selected".  

Logically, if I click on an artist in the tree, or the panes and select properties, I woud like it to assume I mean all the files for that artist.  I can't remember for sure, but I think that's how v8 worked.

That's how v9.0 worked too!  Only been on 9.1 a few days so don't know which build changed it.

If I have a number of files highlighted, and select properties and change some field, as soon as I go to the next field to change, it actually does the update, and asks me if it's okay (for large file counts).

Again, shouldn't the properties window let me make all the changes I want and then commit when I exit the properties window, rather than anytime I change fields?
I'd prefer an Apply button within the properties window.  This is consistent with other applications and wouldn't leave the user guessing as to what they need to do to commit the changes.  The only drawback I can think of is from a design perspective as there's not a lot of room for the button!

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 11:07:35 am »

...but I think that's how v8 worked.

9.0 works that way too as long as you've never installed 9.1 on top of it. Once you do that, it doesn't work in either version. I recently had to reformat and I have a fresh install of 9.0 and it does work that way again.

Rob

nila

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 12:43:17 pm »

gkerber - I think the threshold is ok - messing up 30 files is enough to be worrying so 30 is ok.

The problem is more that it should just be waiting till u've finished changing ALL the fields before asking if u then want to apply, it shouldn't be doing it field by field as u change each field!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 12:47:56 pm »

We're going to raise this to 100.

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 01:01:00 pm »

We're going to raise this to 100.

Sounds great.  But...

Should the properties window perform the actual update whenever I change fields, or should it commit all changes, from multiple fields when I leave the properties window?  Like it did before?

And when clicking on an artist in the tree and selecting properties, shouldn't it open the propeties window with all tracks under that artist?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 01:43:06 pm »

Am I missing something?

If I have no files selected, it's the same as if I have all files selected.

So if I select an artist or an album from the tree (or the panes) it's as if all files are selected. File Properties lists all files.

This is with 9.1.218.

gkerber

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 02:23:07 pm »

Am I missing something?

If I have no files selected, it's the same as if I have all files selected.

So if I select an artist or an album from the tree (or the panes) it's as if all files are selected. File Properties lists all files.

This is with 9.1.218.

In my tree, I select an Artist or Album, single click to highlight it.  Then I click on the toolbar Properties button.

I get a properties window that says "no files selected"

So then I have to select all the tracks - in the track frame and then select Properties.

Extra steps.....  are annoying.  I already selected a whole album or Artist in tree, why can't v9 know what I mean when I click the Properties button?

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 02:53:17 pm »

Doof - You are right.  My apologies.
gkerber - Are you definitely running 218?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 03:08:15 pm »

I was just able to reproduce this. It seems it only happens when the File Properties box is undocked. If it's docked, it works fine.

Sounds like a bug to me.

gkerber

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 03:10:49 pm »

I was just able to reproduce this. It seems it only happens when the File Properties box is undocked. If it's docked, it works fine.

Sounds like a bug to me.

I have never tried using properties docked, but it should work either way, docked or undocked.

Thanks for duplicating it.  I've reported this quite a  while ago too with 9.0, nothing was done about it.

rocketsauce

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 03:21:24 pm »

Ah, I see. I never noticed because my Properties windows is always docked.

Rob

nila

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2003, 12:20:20 am »

gkerber - post it in the build thread along with Doof's comment about it only happening when undocked and I'm sure it'll be fixed in the next build or two.

Also, I know I know, ur all gonna stone me to death for saying this, but PLEASE can the number (20 - now 100) be set in the registry so we can change this if we need to.

I KNOW it's a tiny thing to most of you and your probably loading up ur stones now to stone me with but I've been going through my library file by file listening to them rating them every day as I work - yesterday I managed to rate 70 songs and thats around average for me.

At this rate it's going to take me around 100 days to rate my library if I did it every day - nearly a year realistically as I wont be doing it every single day.

Messing up the tags on 100 songs is a LOT to me and I'm MORE than happy, in fact I LIKE clicking 'yes do it' as many times I've accidentally changed tags on 50 or so songs by accident and had the warning come up which is the only way I realise I've done it.

For me 20 or so was what I considered an acceptable amount of songs to be able to take a risk with, making that 5x more is just too much :(

gkerber's problem is caused by it prompting for EVERY tag change made to one file so it's prompting him 5 times if 5 tag changes are made to one file instead of just prompting him once to apply all 5 changes.

Increasing this limit isn't going to solve his problem. :(

LonWar

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2003, 04:30:32 am »

As it is I think 20 is to much...
(I am not the most careful person) but I can live with it. Please don't increase it, Have a option that you can set for the message to come on or something...
-

nila

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2003, 05:04:24 am »

20 is not bad - it lets you edit one album without a prompt.
100 thou for me just means I can destroy way too much info and not even realise it.

Without the warning it just happens and if we're not paying a lot of attention u dont even realise it so using the undo isn't an option as u dont realise u have anything to undo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up