INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output directory problem  (Read 4807 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Output directory problem
« on: January 19, 2017, 02:03:25 pm »

When I try to rip a CD, I am getting this message:

"The output directory could not be created for one or more files. Please double-check the output directory in ripping options."

Windows 10 has renamed the external drive, and the problem is, I can't seem to name it (D:), which it was before. It wants to name itself (D:) (F:)

Anyone know how to fix this?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Output directory problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 03:25:29 pm »

you should be able to change it in windows under disk management or you could change the folder to save to in MC
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 03:38:30 pm »

you should be able to change it in windows under disk management or you could change the folder to save to in MC

If I change the folder to save to in MC, doesn't MC then add the files all over again to the library, now with a new letter in the file path?

~OHM~

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 03:50:21 pm »

I guess I'm not understanding your issue. I thought you were looking for the directory for ripping cd's and not your directory for you complete collection. If the first is what you want that directory should not be the same as your complete library for obvious reasons IMHO
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 04:06:54 pm »

Well, I started another Posting (Assigning letters to drives) when I realized that it was more of a Windows assigning different drive letters and what MC does about that. I explained more of the issue there. I think I plugged my external drive into a different usb port, and Windows gave it a different letter, and then I couldn't get the original letter back (via Computer Management for example). So, then MC is recopying all the files now that the path starts with a new letter! Can let this all run out I guess and then delete the files starting with the old file path letter (that part is easy enough). Interesting process.....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:42 pm »

Assign your drive to Z:

~OHM~

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:13:00 pm »

Well, I started another Posting (Assigning letters to drives) when I realized that it was more of a Windows assigning different drive letters and what MC does about that. I explained more of the issue there. I think I plugged my external drive into a different usb port, and Windows gave it a different letter, and then I couldn't get the original letter back (via Computer Management for example). So, then MC is recopying all the files now that the path starts with a new letter! Can let this all run out I guess and then delete the files starting with the old file path letter (that part is easy enough). Interesting process.....

There are several ways to do this. Most of the Gurus will tell you to use move and or replace I have never had luck with this, but it does work just not for me...What I have done in the past is to make sure that update for external changes is checked and fix broken links is checked and make sure ignore files previously removed from library is unchecked. and then run a manual scan. You should wait for a Guru to pipe in and get you up and going with that move and replace tho.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »

Assign your drive to Z:

So then, if I am right, MC imports all the files into the library all over again because each file now has a new file name (essentially starting with Z:\).....

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 05:48:12 pm »

If your drive has been renamed, haven't you lost all of your previously imported music then?  Isn't it all marked with a red minus symbol?

Brian.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 05:54:53 pm »

If your drive has been renamed, haven't you lost all of your previously imported music then?  Isn't it all marked with a red minus symbol?

Brian.

Well, the music files are all still on the drive, of course. But, yes, they are marked with the red minus symbol. And MC instantly gets busy copying the files with the new letter in the file name into the library. So, then I have two copies of everything in the library (but not on the drive of course). So then the ones with the red minus symbol can be deleted easily enough (Audio > Files > D:)

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 06:15:38 pm »

You should go to Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Run auto import in background, and uncheck this.  Then MC won't try to import anything.  I would restart MC at this point.

Next, you should restore a database backup that was made before the drive got renamed.  MC makes automatic backups every few days, so it's easy to restore from an older one.  IMPORTANT:  When you restore, just restore the Library and NOT THE SETTINGS.  You want to keep the auto import setting turned off for now.

If you get to this point, you should see a clean library with just one entry per song, and all of the songs will be broken because they will have red minuses because they are pointing to the old drive location.  This seems like a step backwards, but we are about to fix it.

The Rename, Move, and Copy tool is about to come to the rescue.   You can use RM&C to change MC's POINTERS to your files.  You can change the drive letter for all of the red minus songs from D: to E: or whatever the new drive is named.  Just use "Update only mode" and the "find and replace" template.  I'm too tired to describe it in full, but I'll link you to the wiki as a pointer:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Find_.26_Replace

Try one or two songs first.  Then maybe do an album.  Then you can do more; maybe most of your songs all at once.  Start small and work up from there.

Once you get all of the pointers fixed and your songs are all playable, then you can turn auto import back on.  But make a database backup first, just in case.

This procedure I've described might take some tweaking and tinkering.  Take it slow and you'll get there.  I've done things like this a BUNCH in MC and I always get what I want.  RM&C is a magic MC tool.

Brian.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 06:42:20 pm »

Thank you, Brian, for a nicely detailed answer. I think I got around it though by allowing MC to import everything all over again (once Windows assigned a different drive letter to the external drive), thereby creating two copies in the library of every track, and then deleting the whole of the first library (the one that is listed under the first filename letter and therefore the one with red minus signs against every track) (by using Audio > File). It takes time but MC keeps merrily working by itself and nothing has to be done manually. Just as well...28,000 tracks!

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 06:45:29 pm »

For future reference:

The procedure I outlined preserves all of your data:  Play count, skip count, import date, custom fields, everything.  It's also VERY fast once you get the hang of it.  The Rename, Move and Copy Tool portion literally takes a few seconds and it's done. Because it's just updating pointers.

I'm happy to hear your solution worked cleanly.  That's the important part.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up