INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the difference between Name and Album columns in Albums view  (Read 2253 times)

Antognini

• Junior Woodchuck

In Albums view, what's the difference between the Name and Album column? I'd like to use Name as a nominal value whilst keeping the (original) album name. For example, I have "The Island of St. Hylarion" as both Name and Album. I'd like to make this row appear earlier in the list of albums by changing Name to "Island of St. Hylarion," assuming that the sort order of the Albums display is based on the Name value. But if, say, I click on that entry and get Tags, Names = [Various], and I think that it's [Various] because in Tag the entry is really for the Name of the files that are in the album.

I'm using MC 22.0.59 on Win10 Pro x64.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: What is the difference between Name and Album columns in Albums view
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 05:10:58 pm »

MC has some unusual behavior in top views.  [Name] becomes the field that's being sorted at the level you are at.  So in [Artist] view, [Name] has the value of [Artist].  If you are in the [Album] view, [Name] has the value of [Album].  But only in that view, at *that* level. 

I don't follow what you are trying to do, but hopefully that info will help you.  Note that you can sort on ANY field in any view.  Just use the Sort By menu.

Brian.

Antognini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 06:53:11 pm »

That's good to know. My confusion about what was happening was getting in the way.

What I am trying to do is to ensure a view order that's alphabetic and so more or less the order that I use to file my CDs in shelves. For example, the CD "The Island of St. Hylarion" would strictly go under "T," but I'm more comfortable in dropping "The" and filing under "I." What I did was to create a new view and a new tag field, Album-Sort. I copied values from [Album] to [Album-Sort], edited select values, and arranged the new view to sort on the new tag. This gives me my albums in the order I like for my CD shelves.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 07:19:30 pm »

If you go to tools>options>Tree & View> then look at sorting in the right pane you can have MC ignore articles. This would include "The"
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 07:25:21 pm »

^ Articles, not Particles.  But yes, Mr. Tao has the right idea. MC is fully capable of sorting without including The, A, etc.  Just set that option and you're all set.  In my opinion, this option should be set by default.

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 10:17:35 pm »

I like the particles..... ;D
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up