INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Previous and next pause slideshow  (Read 2374 times)

Don W

• World Citizen
Previous and next pause slideshow
« on: January 31, 2017, 01:06:03 pm »

A recent change to theater view makes it so pressing previous or next on a slideshow puts it into pause mode. I don't understand the logic behind this. It isn't intuitive and could be a problem for someone when they can't figure out why the slideshow stopped. If I want to pause I press the pause button. If I want to skip an image, I press next. That doesn't mean I want to pause. I can kind of see how it might make sense to pause on previous, but in that case I would think next would resume. I get that pressing Ok button resumes, but that's still an extra button press. Maybe someone could explain the logic behind this change so it makes sense.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Previous and next pause slideshow
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:14:36 pm »

The image slideshow starts automatically when you press play.  If you then press forward or back, you've taken manual control of image playback.  After that, it's no longer going to automatically advance, until you start the slideshow again by unpausing.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:35:32 am »

Why change the behavior now after all these years?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 11:13:50 am »

It's a long story, but the change is made now.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:42:33 am »

The image slideshow starts automatically when you press play.  If you then press forward or back, you've taken manual control of image playback.  After that, it's no longer going to automatically advance, until you start the slideshow again by unpausing.
Or, you could look at it like cruise control in a car. If starting the slideshow is like activating cruise control, then pressing next is like stepping on the accelerator. When you take your foot off the gas, cruise control is still active.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 03:39:34 pm »

Jim, you said in the new release thread where I reported this new behavior as a bug, that pressing Ok would resume. But in fact it stops the slideshow. Also, I would expect pressing Play would resume as well, but it doesn't.

You know, this change is more impactful than you might realize. I'd grown accustomed to and really liked the way it worked before. Any chance we could get an option for this behavior?

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:06 pm »

There is something else got broken with this change. If pan and zoom is enabled, the animation isn't applied when pressing "next." This is changed from how it worked previously, in version 22.0.55 and before. The setting "Disable transitions on manual image change" has no effect at all, from what I can tell.

I don't know what could have possibly motivated you to make this change in behavior. But won't you do what you can to mitigate the impact on your customers who liked it the way it was? The best - the most customer friendly - thing you could do would be to make an option for whether slideshow is paused on "next". The next best thing would be to fix it so "Play" resumes. Even better, make it so if "Play" is pressed while the slideshow is running it advances to the next image, without pausing. This would actually be a decent solution. It would restore the functionality lost by pausing on "Next", while pausing on "Previous" isn't actually that bad, not for me. If I'm returning to the previous image there's a good chance I want to pause on it.

And fix the behavior associated with the "Disable transitions on manual image change" option, please.

I think what I'm asking for is not unreasonable. If resources is an issue, will you at least indicate whether you will put this on the to-do list?

Pages: [1]   Go Up