INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real and QuickTime Alternative  (Read 3219 times)

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Real and QuickTime Alternative
« on: July 17, 2003, 12:49:51 pm »

There are codec packages to replace the Quick Time and Real One players on this web page.

http://doa2.host.sk/

These packages allow playback of real media and Quicktime formats WITHOUT installing their players.

Everyone knows how much pain it is to disable all the spyware that comes with Real Player and how it hijacks your system.

I was wandering if MC 9.1 could be modified to take advantage of these codecs just like the "Classic Media Player" that is included in both packages.

Currently MC9 requires installation of Real Player even with the above codecs and browswer plugins installed.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Real and QuickTime Alternative
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 12:58:29 pm »

I vote for that.

Of course!  :)

nameless

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 01:37:04 pm »

I was wandering if MC 9.1 could be modified to take advantage of these codecs just like the "Classic Media Player" that is included in both packages.

And stay legal?  I doubt it.

Superag

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 06:17:28 pm »

agree

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 06:37:18 pm »

as far as i know, media player classic is LEGAL. And I don't think anyone is talking about distrubiting these codecs with MC. It would be nice though if MC only needed the CODECS to operate, and not the player itself.

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 06:37:44 pm »

Just wondering: would MC need to be modified if the the codecs are installed and MC is the default player for these media type. I can see that MC presently 'calls' Real Player or Quicktime player to play these media types, but I am curious as to what would happen if you installed MC on a 'clean' computer (I mean by that that neither RP nor QP have been ever installed on it), install these codecs, and just try to play files. Excuse my ignorance if the answer seems too obvious.

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 08:57:36 pm »

Just wondering: would MC need to be modified if the the codecs are installed and MC is the default player for these media type. I can see that MC presently 'calls' Real Player or Quicktime player to play these media types, but I am curious as to what would happen if you installed MC on a 'clean' computer (I mean by that that neither RP nor QP have been ever installed on it), install these codecs, and just try to play files. Excuse my ignorance if the answer seems too obvious.

Apparently yes; since I uninstalled the RealOne and installed the Real Alternative MC gives me an error message that it can't find Real Player.

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 09:12:10 pm »

as far as i know, media player classic is LEGAL. And I don't think anyone is talking about distrubiting these codecs with MC. It would be nice though if MC only needed the CODECS to operate, and not the player itself.

Exactly!!!

Some further clarifications:
I know I can just re-install RealOne unsellecting all the annoing options, then run Ad-Aware/SpyBot, remove added registry keys from the "Run" directory, remove the update(?) directory from Programs\Common\Real.., and then uncheck all the crap and stollen file associations under Preferrences.

I also know I can install an older version of Real Player like 6; BUT I don't want to have an extra media player on my hard drive and Real Player 6 won't play some new real content.  

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 09:17:52 pm »

OK, listen:

Quicktime Alternative works with MC, only Real Alternative is not enough, since MC is looking for some extra files or regisry entries beside the pure codec files, but I'm looking into it, so I will report when I found out what's missing.

Raist

rocketsauce

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 10:37:26 pm »

There have been a couple of threads over at Doom9 on this topic. There are some posts from someone who is a codec engineer for Real Networks who says that the newest versions of R1P are much less invasive and much more stable and less bloated than older players like RP8.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=55773&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Rob

nila

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 12:26:50 am »

All I know is that I delete Quicktime task from starting up on my computer automatically (startup control panel - do a search on google and it'll find it instantly).

Every time I use MC, that stupid Quicktime shoves itself back into my auto start menu.

I DO NOT WANT IT THERE!!

Dont quicktime have ANY understanding of our rights to control what does or doesn't start - only a virus re-inserts itself to auto start when your system starts if you disable it - why is quicktime mimicking this behavior.

This goes one more step towards the notion of letting us install MC each time WITHOUT the codec's - having a full version with them that is released as RC's and having a 'light' upgrade one without them so we can just install these codec's.

I've always hated Real Player - back in the day when I had a 200 Mhz, it used to crash my computer every time it tried to open and play something - if my system managed to survive it opening it would come to a complete stand still - I still hate it - bloatware that's HUGE, chunky and rubbish (polite version of what I'm thinking).  

rocketsauce

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2003, 02:40:36 am »

Every time I use MC, that stupid Quicktime shoves itself back into my auto start menu.

Hmm...I disabled it using the System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) and it hasn't reappeared in my start up list.

Real Player...bloatware that's HUGE, chunky and rubbish

I have the current version of R1P and it's actually been behaving itself quite well. It's not auto starting anything with Windows. It gives you the option for it to start in a player-only mode rather than the whole "media browser" mode, so it opens pretty fast. As for it being huge, it's only about 2mb larger than my MC install.

Rob

nila

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2003, 03:25:15 am »

Ah,

But MC does many tasks for me - Real doesn't so for what I'd use it for it's bloat :)

Ur right though - I am prejudiced from the old days when it used to kill my system.

RealOne is actually quite nicely done (I had to use it the other day for something) and they've definitely totally reworked it amazingly..

Realplayer is still yuck (or was last time I tried it).

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2003, 07:16:14 am »

Well Here is the Real One install procedure I just went through:
1)Downloaded RealOne
2)Choose Custom Install
3)Uncheck: desktop icon, Quick Launch icon , top of start Menu icon, Desktop shortcuts to free offers, internet Audio/video search link in find menu, free AOL link
4)Uncheck "Make RealOne default for:MP3, CD, DVD,MPEG, AVI, OTHER"
5)Open Real Player
6)Manage Favorites and remove all favorites
7)Tools/Preferences
     On Startup slect Player only (no media Browser)
     Uncheck everything under Internet settings
     CD: Uncheck everything from "when inserting CD"
     Uncheck auto DVD playback
     Under Media Types Uncheck everything except for Real Media and uncheck "periodic checks to maintain these preferrences"
     Automatic Services: UNCHECK ALL 4
     Uncheck AUtoupdates
8 ) Run SpyBot or AdAware:
     SpyBot found the following new stuff:
     Amazingly ONLY Avenue A, and Double Click tracking cookies!
9)Run Regedit and check
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

WOW!!! NO NEW ENTRIES!!!!
10)Remove (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update OB)  directory

Done!!

I am impressed RealOne really is less intrusive than before!

rocketsauce

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2003, 11:01:18 am »

10)Remove (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update OB)  directory

I did this also just to be sure, but actually I don't think it's necessary anymore. IIRC, there is a round-a-bout way to completely turn off the updates and messages. I don't think it's in the main program prefs though. I think you have to get one of the pop-up messages first and then you can disable from there.

Anyway, my main reason for installing it was because I was having trouble getting Real streaming to work when using Real Alt in conjuction with Firebird and Mozilla browsers.

Rob

zevele10

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2003, 11:16:09 am »

Choose Custom Install -=-=-=

Look like you are taking the hard way.........

Just choose Custom Install as you say
A fast setting in your firewall will solve the Message center and update problem.
I have RealOne since few months.
Custom settings , firewall set  .
Cd infos having access ,cause it is the real raison i have RealOne.
And RealOne does not mess around.

nameless

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2003, 01:44:25 am »

Remove (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update OB)  directory

This directory is where the RealOne Player uninstall facility resides.  Here is the uninstall string:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\rnuninst.exe RealNetworks|RealPlayer|6.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up